Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭king2

Is there some confusion here between jobpath and jobbridge. The two are completely separate, yes? Jobbridge is where a private employer gets the free labour of an unemployed person - the person retains their unemployment payment + 50 euro. Jobpath is where unemployed people are forced to work with private recruitment agencies who are contracted by the Government and paid for each unemployed person they take off the live register. Is it the case that if you are on jobpath you can be forced into a jobbridge position?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

king2 wrote: »
    Is there some confusion here between jobpath and jobbridge. The two are completely separate, yes? Jobbridge is where a private employer gets the free labour of an unemployed person - the person retains their unemployment payment + 50 euro. Jobpath is where unemployed people are forced to work with private recruitment agencies who are contracted by the Government and paid for each unemployed person they take off the live register. Is it the case that if you are on jobpath you can be forced into a jobbridge position?

You are not included on the live register if you are doing the 12 months of Jobpath, but they get paid if they get you into full time 30 hours a week employment, they are basically using Jobsplus as the main incentive for employers to take on their clients, so in theory even when a person gains employment the government pay the employer €10,000 over a 24 month period to help cover wages.

If you are on Jobpath they do not force to into any other activation schemes, their only goal is to get you a job as that is how they make money, even if offered a job you do not have to accept it if it does not suit you, have a friend working for one of the two companies, the nicer one that is not being investigated for human rights abuses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

CramCycle wrote: »
    The government is not there to create jobs as you rightly said.

They are there however to help create, nurture and sustain an environment where job creation and sustainability is easier and possible.

Some of their schemes in principle (but alas not in reality) do this.

Jobbridge would be great if implemented properly. They could take a small cohort of civil servants, maybe two from each council, give them minimum parameters, and block those continuously offering positions that do not meet these requirements and take down those that already exist that do not meet those requirements.
    Your right government isn't supposed to create jobs,but incentivize companies creating them.

JB would been total success by having few simple rules implemented -only allow companies to advertise positions that would become permanent once person is trained-and depending on position no more then 2wks-3months,that simple thus any company wanting to hire,would be in contract where person is guaranteed position after training time expires.

but since state want stats low and didn't give a f about anything besides dropping numbers they failed.

Since dont imagine in what state person has to be to take work with 50e plus 40h week.when commuting,food-and at the end of it no work is path.Better taking hit on 50e not taking such crap,since it works out that your either work beside someone getting proper wage-and companies getting free force and incentive to exploit such niche,even further.

Xenji wrote: »
    You are not included on the live register if you are doing the 12 months of Jobpath, but they get paid if they get you into full time 30 hours a week employment, they are basically using Jobsplus as the main incentive for employers to take on their clients, so in theory even when a person gains employment the government pay the employer €10,000 over a 24 month period to help cover wages.

If you are on Jobpath they do not force to into any other activation schemes, their only goal is to get you a job as that is how they make money, even if offered a job you do not have to accept it if it does not suit you, have a friend working for one of the two companies, the nicer one that is not being investigated for human rights abuses :pac:
    If you're still receiving jobseekers allowance for the 12 months then surely you're still on the live register. I got a letter today stating I was going on jobpath and it stated that any refusal of job or training and your payment would be affected. I read somewhere else that on jobpath you are called in a few times per week, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

here this should help its faq from SW website:

1. Is JobPath mandatory? Yes, participation on JobPath will be mandatory for all jobseekers who are selected by the Department.
    2. What will happen if I refuse to participate?A range of sanctions, including disqualification, closure or disallowance of your jobseeker claim may be imposed if you fail to participate on JobPath. Reduced payments (known as penalty rates) may be imposed by the Department's Deciding Officers if you fail, without good cause, to comply with activation measures.
    3. Will I have to take any job?You are expected to undertake any reasonable offer of suitable employment. Your personal advisor will discuss job offers with you.
    4. Do I have to take a job anywhere?You are expected to undertake any reasonable offer of suitable employment. The offer of employment must have regard to your location and any commuting considerations. Your personal advisor will discuss job offers with you.
    5. Will I be expected to undertake work experience?You are expected to undertake any reasonable offer of suitable work experience. Your personal advisor will discuss offers with you.
    6. Will JobPath help me to start my own business?Yes. Personal advisors will give you support and guidance if you wish to start your own business.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobPath-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Jobseeker.aspx#6

• Advertisement

If you're still receiving jobseekers allowance for the 12 months then surely you're still on the live register. I got a letter today stating I was going on jobpath and it stated that any refusal of job or training and your payment would be affected. I read somewhere else that on jobpath you are called in a few times per week, is this true?

Anyone on a Job Activation scheme is deemed to be off the live register, that is why the real number is always skewed.

As far as I know you get called in once a week at the beginning and every two weeks after that, you can refuse a job and nothing will happen, my friend made that clear, they want to find you a job that suits you, not any job that's going as they receive more money the longer your employed, now that maybe different as there are two private companies involved in the scheme and they might both have different systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

whats the difference between Job path and Tus and gateway, all three of these are mandatory. How long do you have to be on the live register to be called for Jobpath?

Tus is like a ce scheme except its compulsory. Gateway you are made to work for a council tending flower beds, picking up litter and such like. Jobpath is where you have to engage with a private recruitment agency and take any job they might find for you or lose your dsp payment.You can be called for any of them if you are unemployed for 12 months are more. They all have one thing in common though, they are all despicable abuse of the unemployed

Tus is like a ce scheme except its compulsory. Gateway you are made to work for a council tending flower beds, picking up litter and such like. Jobpath is where you have to engage with a private recruitment agency and take any job they might find for you or lose your dsp payment.You can be called for any of them if you are unemployed for 12 months are more. They all have one thing in common though, they are all despicable abuse of the unemployed

Ya it just sounds quite similar to tus from my experience and dealings with tus except tus is part time and this is full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What is the point of contracting private companies to run schemes like this. Isn't this what is supposed to happen in an Intreo office?

• Advertisement

What is the point of contracting private companies to run schemes like this. Isn't this what is supposed to happen in an Intreo office?

Intreo etc fail to make sufficient impact on the unemployment figures so the Government think by throwing money at private companies instead they will have better results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I am with Job Path a few weeks . I have an interview but need to go to a funeral so I will be away for 3 days .I wonder how they are on such absences . Do I get a letter from the priest !

rgossip30 wrote: »
    I am with Job Path a few weeks . I have an interview but need to go to a funeral so I will be away for 3 days .I wonder how they are on such absences . Do I get a letter from the priest !

I believe you need to request 3 days holidays from the social welfare to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Just going to chuck in a story from the other side of the equation.

I've been on a JobBridge internship now for just under two months. Okay, I grant it's not a very LONG period. But so far I'm thrilled with it. The people are amazing and really helpful and interested in giving you as much experience as possible.

I know it's a bit luck of the draw, you might get awesome people or you might get a company that doesn't care. I went into it hoping for a bit of experience and a reference more recent and my-field-related than my other ones, but so far I've gotten so much more than that and I'm delighted to be able to learn and contribute back to the company.

I believe you need to request 3 days holidays from the social welfare to start.

While you are on Job Path you have to go through Seetec or Turas Nua for the 12 months, the SW basically put you in their care till you are employed or the 12 months is up, they will not do anything for you except t listen to complaints about Job Path, you do not have to sign on anymore either after the first month.

Xenji wrote: »
    While you are on Job Path you have to go through Seetec or Turas Nua for the 12 months, the SW basically put you in their care till you are employed or the 12 months is up, they will not do anything for you except t listen to complaints about Job Path, you do not have to sign on anymore either after the first month.

Apoligies, I thought he was waiting to start with this crowd.

How often do they call you in ? Is it true that they bring you in 3 times per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

How often do they call you in ? Is it true that they bring you in 3 times per week?

Depends on the person maybe if you do not speak English well it can be 3 times . I go 1 time a week at present but I notice that there are very few in the office now .

Depends on the person maybe if you do not speak English well it can be 3 times . I go 1 time a week at present but I notice that there are very few in the office now .

Is it any use? Just as useless as other job activation schemes? Do they send you on many job interviews?

Another reference to hiring people on social welfare work schemes in a soap ,this time fair city.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Another reference to hiring people on social welfare work schemes in a soap ,this time fair city.

Yeah? I missed it last night!

Yeah? I missed it last night!

Ya Tommy was saying an apprentice from the dole will be starting Tuesday with him, cleaning or tidying up the community centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I am amazed they have such a cap on people only allowed to complete 3 jobbridges in their career what about those long term unemployed or those in between jobs not able to find work or having to leave where they are to move? Its not worth having to move for the sake of a jobbridge with added costs of living. Even just to get a reference which might have not helped at all might be better than nothing but even to get part time work never mind contract/full time employment is a nightmare at the moment. I saw some application somewhere looking for referees that have known candidates for at least 2 years what about those that are on contract work?? Makes no sense.

The town I am in its half and half as to who is employed and not employed its madness. How many of them are in part or full time employment is quiet uneven?
    The smaller towns are like a morgue these days but the cities can only cater for so many people at a time etc can't really move to cities unless they paying jobs. Where is this recovery I don't see it here in smaller towns and villages maybe in the cities but rural ireland has been left behind. No wonder people are leaving the less vibrant counties and going to the cities or busier towns and leaving the country. Only so few come back in droves after emigration out of ireland. Cost of living is gone far too high here.

The recruitment industry has gone bonkers. Recruiters and HR don't bother getting in touch even when you do you chasing them and not getting a response so rude that they can't even let you know you are unsuccessful. I am still applying away to both the civil service and private sector and not one sign of an interview for a year. Cold emailing cv etc and have had professionals look at it. Some don't bother getting in touch to let you know you were unsuccessful after job applications. I am sick of it. Jobbridge should at least introduce minimum wage at this stage and its not even helping those unemployed long term. You can do everything possible to improve job prospects but its a never ending cycle. Anywhere there is a fast turn over of staff i'd avoid at all costs.

They should abolish jobbridge or do something with it. Jobbridge and emigration are covering up the true unemployment figures might be less than it has been since FG/L been in government which is positive but there aren't enough jobs supplied and investment in jobs you think things would improve even more. We fought for equal rights and equal opportunities which is very unbalanced in the employment market at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya Tommy was saying an apprentice from the dole will be starting Tuesday with him, cleaning or tidying up the community centre.

Why are they being portrayed as a good for nothing in fair city?

The Raptor wrote: »

Exactly the same thoughts - a good-for-nothing unemployable, being given a chance, by working for free. Hardly helps with the lazy lay-abouts stereotype.

The Raptor wrote: »

They did the same in Corrie with the apprentice theyhired in the hair dressers, she lasted only one day and before that another apprentice from the dole in the hairdressers was let go as well, portrayed that person as being lazy and arrogant.

The same character in Fair city was employed on a scheme previously as well in the spar but was fired during that time for shop lifting so ya the characters are definitely stereotyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cactusmania

If you are on jobseeker's allowance while on a scheme, you have to look for work. Not being on the live register just means you are not available for work. So, not having to sign on each month is useless if you are on jobseeker's allowance. Imagine completing JobPath, then getting a letter "inviting" you to participate on Tus or Gateway. It is entirely possible, as the 12 months spent on JobPath would count towards the eligibility period, along with the length of time spent on jobseeker's allowance before starting on JobPath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

A lot of the last couple of posts sound more like issues with the employment situation at the moment in general, rather than JobBridge which is just an assistance to people looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Samaris wrote: »
    A lot of the last couple of posts sound more like issues with the employment situation at the moment in general, rather than JobBridge which is just an assistance to people looking for work.

Suppose one way of looking at it, rather then the free labour scheme.

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »

This would not be the general opinion of the thread!

Advertisement