Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Brothers of Charity in Ennis, Clare advertise Support worker pt positions - paid, on their site and another site.

then the same jobs turn up on jobsbridge.

Now, of all entities, I do think that voluntary organisations should be the ONLY ones allowed to accepts JB interns, but the BOC is a huge worldwide organisation, and certainly has (and to be fair, always have to my knowledge been very good employers) the capacity to hire staff and pay them properly, so this is a unsettling and sad development.

ETA. It is a CE scheme, not jobsbridge. Still, same thing really - real jobs replaced by non-real.

It may be that they wish for both, and the CE schemes will lead to actual positions, but it's all just a bit much.

Employment Activation schemes need to be REGULATED, and properly. And as the Irish Examiner has shown, they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

IMPACT are the latest organisation calling for the scheme to be scrapped, it seems in the last two weeks there has been a lot more public disquiet about the scheme in the press.

To add, if done right, Jobsbridge may well have a function.

But only if done right. As it stands, it's facilitating a lot of unnecessary anger and disgust from many participants.

As it stands it is crude, unstructured, undefined, and indiscriminate in identity, function, clarity and desired outcomes

Just to add, I know there is a JB 'hotline', I know they have 'agreement contracts' drawn up, but someone on high is definitely saying 'let it slide' - as long as the unemployed numbers are reduced, 'let it slide'.

It also needs to be clearly differentiated in function from CE schemes.

There is no real desire to do it right. Rough and ugly is faster, cheaper and it meets the true objective - unemployed number massaging

Some have been lucky, because some employers are decent people, but the rest?

Shocking shame. and shameful it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I recently had a JobBridge chap come to where I'm interning. They have someone come around now to check up on you and ensure that you are actually being trained and aren't either doing donkey work in a cupboard somewhere or being beaten. He said himself that there'd been major issues with the JobBridge scheme. Having said that, he also said that everyone who'd been where I am at the moment had only had good things to say about it (which I enthusiastically added to!)

I am one of the few who would be very alarmed at the scheme being scrapped right at the moment. It'd certainly screw me royally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Jobbridge must go.
    Too many real jobs being replaced by internships, it must be costing a fortune to the state.
    It is truly horrifying to see companies with billions of profits using this scheme.
    People used to say shopping at Supervalu was better for the community, well that lie is exposed.

when jobbridge came out first I thought it might be a good option for young people, i did not factor how greedy big business is.
    You hear all this talk about companies and their Corporate Social Responsibility, it really is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

from that report

In another instance, a woman who was the joint managing director of the host business, along with her husband, was hired as an intern and stayed at home, while availing of the JobBridge allowance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I's starting to wind down in employer's eyes.

There used to be a few hundred positions on it but over the last while it's been getting fewer and fewer.

Today there are in total 21 positions.

CatFromHue wrote: »

There used to be a few hundred positions on it but over the last while it's been getting fewer and fewer.

You mean posted today I assume? Lots in total.

Again, if used as it should be, it has a purpose.

Re inspections etc - as long as positions like factory worker (seen recently) and similar (ie low skill jobs that you traditionally trained on the job for over a few days) it's nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

you're right, my mistake.

for some reason I only had todays postings up :o

there are still loads up on the site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Samaris wrote: »
    I am one of the few who would be very alarmed at the scheme being scrapped right at the moment. It'd certainly screw me royally.

How would that screw you ? 50e less which most likely you spend coming into full time job everyday ?

I knew someone who did whole 9motnths scheme for local council and was happy while doing it,but afterwards it finished,that was it go do another one or smth.

So dont get whole idea of being trained when at the end you'll be out and someone else put in again,just for companies to make free labor at no cost,how is it supposed to work if its a job - made to look like training position that creates nothing just few number drops and real jobs replaced by it.Who benefits from it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

scamalert wrote: »
    How would that screw you ? 50e less which most likely you spend coming into full time job everyday ?

I knew someone who did whole 9motnths scheme for local council and was happy while doing it,but afterwards it finished,that was it go do another one or smth.

So dont get whole idea of being trained when at the end you'll be out and someone else put in again,just for companies to make free labor at no cost,how is it supposed to work if its a job - made to look like training position that creates nothing just few number drops and real jobs replaced by it.Who benefits from it ?

It's not about the E50, it's about experience, which I desperately need and which my CV lacks. In fairness, I'm one of the lucky few; I got into a really decent company who actually want to train me. I realise I do seem to be in a minority, but I can only speak from my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

CatFromHue wrote: »

Employers are perhaps looking to Job Path who pay employers 10K over 2 years to take on long term jobless .

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Employers are perhaps looking to Job Path who pay employers 10K over 2 years to take on long term jobless .

That's Jobs Plus, Job Path is being ran by two foreign recruitment agencies who's staff earn commission if they find jobs for people on the scheme and make sure that every potential employer knows about Jobs Plus.

A friend of mine has been on the Job Path scheme for 3 months now, he had two workshops on the first day and one face to face meeting since, it is another great waste of money, the companies are trying to sure up job advertisements as well in town, so as they go through the recruitment agency and not make the jobs public.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No, id say jobbrige will be the first option pay nothing for employee for 9 months, then if want to take them on, then claim the €10.000 over 2 yrs
    win ,win, for employer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

fin12 wrote: »
    Its definitely costing the government more but its not about the money, its about them being able to take people off the live register when they are on this schemes even though they are still paying them., companies are definitely saving money.
    No it's not, the Government is hiring JobBridge people to work in their Departments saving them a fortune in wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

An article on the drop out rate. Yet a page or two back, there was another about the bullying, assult and exploitation of interns.

When will they see that it's not working?

edbrez wrote: »
    No it's not, the Government is hiring JobBridge people to work in their Departments saving them a fortune in wages.

What government Department hire people on jobsbridge? Most people on jobsbridge end up working in private organisations.

What government Department hire people on jobsbridge? Most people on jobsbridge end up working in private organisations.

Councils mainly, but others as well, we have had over 60 since the scheme started in my department alone, not one can be kept on either, you literally have the new intern coming in the week before the old one is leaving, so that old intern can train up the new intern.

Xenji wrote: »
    Councils mainly, but others as well, we have had over 60 since the scheme started in my department alone, not one can be kept on either, you literally have the new intern coming in the week before the old one is leaving, so that old intern can train up the new intern.

Oh right I didn't know that cause I never saw them advertised, when I was unemployed I was looking for ones in a post office or credit union but I could never really find one, I saw one advertised in west cork and one advertised up in Leitrim but they were too far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

department of the t-shock for one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Xenji wrote: »
    That's Jobs Plus, Job Path is being ran by two foreign recruitment agencies who's staff earn commission if they find jobs for people on the scheme and make sure that every potential employer knows about Jobs Plus.

A friend of mine has been on the Job Path scheme for 3 months now, he had two workshops on the first day and one face to face meeting since, it is another great waste of money, the companies are trying to sure up job advertisements as well in town, so as they go through the recruitment agency and not make the jobs public.

The first meeting with Job Path the procedure was explained including the 10K for employers to take on workers no mention of Job Plus ?

The first meeting with Job Path the procedure was explained including the 10K for employers to take on workers no mention of Job Plus ?

It is Jobs Plus, you can read all about it here www.jobsplus.ie, Job Path is a activation scheme and Jobs Plus is a government incentive which Seetec or Turas Nua use to try and find you work, the incentive can also be used outside of Job Path as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Sign of recovery is very mixed all over the country and jobbridge isn't helping with employment rates.

http://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/job-crisis-in-rural-ireland-worsens-34674637.html

Well by just reading this article online on Irish Independent website is enough to tell you that there isn't much recovery in rural areas in comparison to the cities. Things have picked up in the cities but very little sign of recovery in rural areas maybe things have improved in bigger towns but its still 50/50 as to whether people are employed or not or even in full/part time employment is mixed in the towns. Probably a lot of people are commuting whether it to cities or to other towns. Otherwise Migration and emigration will continue.

The sooner they get rid of jobbridge the better or replace it with something better and introduce minimum wage at least might be worth doing but only allowed to do 3 altogether isn't much to go by if unable to get something more permanent.

doovdela wrote: »
    Sign of recovery is very mixed all over the country and jobbridge isn't helping with employment rates.

http://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/job-crisis-in-rural-ireland-worsens-34674637.html

Well by just reading this article online on Irish Independent website is enough to tell you that there isn't much recovery in rural areas in comparison to the cities. Things have picked up in the cities but very little sign of recovery in rural areas maybe things have improved in bigger towns but its still 50/50 as to whether people are employed or not or even in full/part time employment is mixed in the towns. Probably a lot of people are commuting whether it to cities or to other towns. Otherwise Migration and emigration will continue.

The sooner they get rid of jobbridge the better or replace it with something better and introduce minimum wage at least might be worth doing but only allowed to do 3 altogether isn't much to go by if unable to get something more permanent.

Not surprised about Mayo, real jobs are very scarce here and for the last three years 9/10 jobs advertised were some form of activation scheme or zero hour contracts.

Local businesses have been closing down in droves with main streets becoming ghost towns, these are being replaced with multinationals that only offer zero hour contracts, coupled with most people under 30 having left the county.

There are nearly 40 Jobbridge positions alone being advertised in the last 6 weeks in Mayo, including the likes of Restaurant Assistant, Hairdresser, Tour Guide and Shop Assistant, Cashier, Spa Assistant and numerous Receptionist and Administrator jobs.

Castlebar was promised over 650 jobs which should of all been on stream by now, with big national announcements and they jumped the gun on all of them, or flat out lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

king2 wrote: »
    Tus is like a ce scheme except its compulsory. Gateway you are made to work for a council tending flower beds, picking up litter and such like. Jobpath is where you have to engage with a private recruitment agency and take any job they might find for you or lose your dsp payment.You can be called for any of them if you are unemployed for 12 months are more. They all have one thing in common though, they are all despicable abuse of the unemployed

ah come on now, depends where they put you and what you're doing

i enjoyed my TUS placement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I was on Jobbridge a few years ago and the other day I got a letter in the post from Social Welfare asking me to take part in an online survey to find out about my Jobbridge experience and how I think the scheme could be improved.

Anyone else get one of these letters?

chughes wrote: »
    I was on Jobbridge a few years ago and the other day I got a letter in the post from Social Welfare asking me to take part in an online survey to find out about my Jobbridge experience and how I think the scheme could be improved.

Everyone who was on the scheme is due to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

chughes wrote: »

I love the way how they say improve.

Why conduct a study now. People have been complaining about the scheme for years. Does the word improve mean its staying put and they have no intention of scrapping it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Got my survey today. This should be fun :pac:

Advertisement