Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Very suprised jobbridge is still going on and nothing has really changed with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

carzony wrote: »
    Very suprised jobbridge is still going on and nothing has really changed with it.

They could at least increase it from €50 to €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

fin12 wrote: »
    They could at least increase it from €50 to €100.

That would just be used as ammo in favour of keeping it.

That would just be used as ammo in favour of keeping it.

Ya I know but I'd rather go on jobsbridge or ce scheme to avoid being on that job path thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Lads, I read that apparently, people are saying CE Schemes are just as bad as JB. Am I wrong or since you only do 20 hours (or close to it), that you're technically "working above minimum wage" if you fact in the 20 hours and the 208 euro a week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tombi! wrote: »
    Lads, I read that apparently, people are saying CE Schemes are just as bad as JB. Am I wrong or since you only do 20 hours (or close to it), that you're technically "working above minimum wage" if you fact in the 20 hours and the 208 euro a week?

Are you allowed work elsewhere for the other 20 hours? Minimum wage is misleading here. Your weekly wage is 208 euro, your weekly wage with JB is, lets say, 258euro. Unless you can get hours elsewhere on CE, then JB would be better or am I reading that wrong. I realise there is a cost of work, travel etc. so it could be not scheme dependent but what you get on the scheme.

I was on one for two months because I found a full time job, thought it was fine, worked 4 days a week, the manager and my ce supervisor was very helpful and supportive, can't say the same about some of the other people I was working, overheard them bitching about me when I had only been there three weeks so was lucky I got a full time job so I'd have no problem doing a ce scheme again but I would do it in a different area.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Are you allowed work elsewhere for the other 20 hours? Minimum wage is misleading here. Your weekly wage is 208 euro, your weekly wage with JB is, lets say, 258euro. Unless you can get hours elsewhere on CE, then JB would be better or am I reading that wrong. I realise there is a cost of work, travel etc. so it could be not scheme dependent but what you get on the scheme.

Ya u are allowed work up to 20 hours along with doing your ce scheme. So you could earn quite a good bit if you were doing both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

fin12 wrote: »
    I was on one for two months because I found a full time job, thought it was fine, worked 4 days a week, the manager and my ce supervisor was very helpful and supportive, can't say the same about some of the other people I was working, overheard them bitching about me when I had only been there three weeks so was lucky I got a full time job so I'd have no problem doing a ce scheme again but I would do it in a different area.

If your only wage was 208 a week and you hand travel to pay for 4 days to and from. You would be spending more on bus fares than what you do earn, an extra 20.

The Raptor wrote: »
    If your only wage was 208 a week and you hand travel to pay for 4 days to and from. You would be spending more on bus fares than what you do earn, an extra 20.

No I drive and it was quite near, 20 euro a week does me in petrol regardless whether I was was doing a ce scheme or heading out and about when unemployed, ce scheme it's your choice you choose the area of work and the place so if you feel you would end up losing money well then you just don't do it, I nearly wasn't going to the area I was going because there was no parking just on street parking which I definitely was not prepared to pay but I found free parking 20 mins away but if I had to have paid for parking I wouldn't have taken the ce scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

No you're getting 250 for 4 days work.

No I was getting 208' a ce scheme is 208. You do 19 and a half hours mine just happened to have been spread over 4 days, some would cover all the hours in 3 days, honestly if you are working 20 hours on minimum wage you end up with more or less the same amount.

Jobsbridge is. The one you get screwed in financially, working 30 to 40 hours for maximum 238.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Maximum you can get is E238, the minimum is E150 a week, based on a basic single applicant, you have to work work a minimum of 30 hours and a week up to a maximum of 40 hours, so could be earning as low as E3.75 an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

My understanding is that CE Schemes were the "fair" ones in that you wouldn't be doing X hours per week and coming out with less than minimum wage if you were paid per hour.

And as for the valet one, absolutely scumbaggish of them - not surprised they're not naming the company or even having a company email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My understanding is that CE Schemes were the "fair" ones in that you wouldn't be doing X hours per week and coming out with less than minimum wage if you were paid per hour.

And as for the valet one, absolutely scumbaggish of them - not surprised they're not naming the company or even having a company email.

Think I might apply, just to get their names and shame them. It's a slow day in the office. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

When I was applying to them, I was mostly looking into Science -> Environmental ones. There were certain keywords I avoided like the plague because Environmental...what was it...Technician? Same word every time anyway, and it invariably meant "cutting the grass in the public areas" (and some hedge strimming). Yeah, okay, the grass needs cutting, but get away out of pretending it's a science anything job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Noreasonatall

People should refuse jobs bridge point blank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Samaris wrote: »
    When I was applying to them, I was mostly looking into Science -> Environmental ones. There were certain keywords I avoided like the plague because Environmental...what was it...Technician? Same word every time anyway, and it invariably meant "cutting the grass in the public areas" (and some hedge strimming). Yeah, okay, the grass needs cutting, but get away out of pretending it's a science anything job!

I was the same when I was looking to get on JB. Most IT jobs were actually very admin heavy, or nothing to do technically. I vaguely remember one "Computer Administrator" was detailed as carrying around PC/Laptops for someone else to fix.

I eventually landed a decent role doing IT for a public company (I replaced a full-time worker they let go because he wanted to be made permanent). I left after 5 months because the old manager left and was replaced by a Charles-Dickens like human monster. They stopped me learning, had me at the desk and I was not allowed to leave the desk without a note.

I got a job 2 weeks after. I actually asked not long ago if my JB experience helped me land that job and they said not really. I'm still happy I have it on my CV though.

Very sad to think while I was learning Active Directory, someone on the same scheme was cutting grass or washing a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I love the way how they say improve.

Why conduct a study now. People have been complaining about the scheme for years. Does the word improve mean its staying put and they have no intention of scrapping it.

Got one of those letters too, I basically didn't hold any punches and let rip on my experience working for a business college, wasn't all bad but I didn't get a full time job out of it, place was struggling from the day I started till the day I left. The courses in the place were very expensive and it was the height of the recession and companies around the country weren't bothered sending staff on certain courses I was assigned to sell. The most typically asked question was "Do FAS give funding for the course?"

FAS used to fund certain courses with the place till some people dropped out or weren't doing as well as they should and FAS didn't pay their dues so they didn't have dealings with them anymore, so in that case most people didn't want to know. Also the freezing cold conditions in the place wasn't good for the entire winter I was in there, while "my mentor" who was a nice man for the best part but I couldn't help be a bit pissed off when he's upstairs in a warm heated office but where I am downstairs in the lobby it's like a bloody igloo, typing out dozens and dozens of e-mails with my hands going purple with the cold.

I think places should be on some level doing well for themselves and have heavy dealings/business before thinking about hiring an intern, not saying my place was too quiet but there wasn't enough business, not too much in the locality in the way of multinationals or larger business to pay the money that the college wanted and even places like FAS are a bunch of cowboys that won't pay the agreed amount, not the college's problem if somebody drops out of a course.

Also I think the business should contribute something towards the intern and stop letting the government and the intern organization pick up the tab for the intern's almost free labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Also I think the business should contribute something towards the intern and stop letting the government and the intern organization pick up the tab for the intern's almost free labour.

Totally agree. However, if business places in Ireland can take advantage of this free labour, why wouldn't they. With Jobridge and internships more generally there seems to be a growing turnover of unpaid interns filling places. this is through either working in places which have no plan to ever offer payment for work or working until they can no longer support their unpaid work, thus a new intern fills the unpaid position as long as they can afford to.

I'd hope to see sooner before later a time limit on how long employers can benefit from unpaid work. Sure paying for those who are untried or untested may not be necessary, but myself and friends are currently weighing up 6 month full time unpaid internships.

For sure gaining months of work experience is important, but a minimum of 6 months? Can employers reasonable expect jobseekers to support themselves for this long unpaid, or perhaps should the government even allow it?

Perhaps Jobridge functions as there are still worse alternatives out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looks like the government is finally going to do something about the scheme.
    New Minister of State for Training and Skills has said he will do everything in his power to change the Government's JobBridge programme.

Speaking on Morning Ireland, John Halligan has said there is an unfairness in the scheme that "has to be dealt with".

He said while there are some people who value it there are others who abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Xenji wrote: »
    Looks like the government is finally going to do something about the scheme.

Took their sweet time about it, God I remember when I finished mine in April 2013 I went looking for a possible different internship or something in the same lines but maybe a more busy outlet and there was nothing but shyte on the website for my locality, "intern shop assistant" and believe it or not "intern furniture mover"

Boggles the mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Like a lot of things this govt has done (looking at you Irish Water) I think there was great potential for this scheme, but the execution was a farce.

The idea of bridging the gap from education > employment, or non-experienced > experienced is noble enough. How they didn't get the employer to pay at least 50% of the cost is beyond me. They should also have made it a condition for the employer to put in place a training/internship plan which showed clear progression in the role, and allowed the intern to log progress and feedback along the way to ensure the plan was being adhered to.

Instead the just used it to move people from column A (live register) to column B (off live register) with no extra benefit to either the state, in terms of cost, or the intern, in terms of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Like a lot of things this govt has done (looking at you Irish Water) I think there was great potential for this scheme, but the execution was a farce.

The idea of bridging the gap from education > employment, or non-experienced > experienced is noble enough. How they didn't get the employer to pay at least 50% of the cost is beyond me. They should also have made it a condition for the employer to put in place a training/internship plan which showed clear progression in the role, and allowed the intern to log progress and feedback along the way to ensure the plan was being adhered to.

Instead the just used it to move people from column A (live register) to column B (off live register) with no extra benefit to either the state, in terms of cost, or the intern, in terms of experience.

I agree, sound in principle, terrible in execution.

In addition to your points, I'd say they should regulate what kind of internships are actually allowed. You shouldn't be allowed to have an internship for a burger flipper.

Totally agree, you have made very good points there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The new minister Leo Varadkar is abolishing Jobbridge.
    Not clear what will replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

snubbleste wrote: »
    The new minister Leo Varadkar is abolishing Jobbridge.
    Not clear what will replace it.
    Hopefully paid positions.

Advertisement