Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

fin12 wrote: »
    Because he's no problem with his own wife not working but then has a go at others for not working and mocking them. How unemployed people just spend all day in Bed or watch Jeremy Kyle.

There was another discussion about all social welfare payments being paid into bank accounts so people wouldn't have to collect their dole in the post office and of course he has to say it's pure laziness that people would prefer to be paid into their bank account.

It's not about laziness at all, when I had to collect my dole at the local post office it was horrible because I knew someone working in there and she was a right gossip, I use to try and work out what days she wasn't working so I could collect my dole, a few times I left the post office without collecting my money because I would have been served by her. So it's got nothing to do with laziness seeing as I asked social welfare to move me to a different post office a lot further away but they wouldn't.

He hasn't a clue about what it's like.

Not to mention that most bills are taken by direct debit. Collect dole at post office and lodge money in bank to pay bills.

Would it not be easier getting the whole amount into the bank account and withdraw money for food.

But nope, you have to find a bank which could be miles away to lodge money.

I don't know how he could claim its laziness when you do have to make an effort to get to an ATM anyway. Same as you would making an effort to collect at the post office.

He sounds like a right gobshyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

*Randroid butthurt intensifies*

What the **** manner of ass cancer did I just read?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What the **** manner of ass cancer did I just read?

A "Randroid" would be a devotee of the writings of Ayn Rand, like Bible-thumpers of laissez-faire economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Because he's no problem with his own wife not working but then has a go at others for not working and mocking them.

slightly different to being unemployed though,

choosing not to work and stay at home while NOT claiming social welfare is different to begin unemployed.

like alot of mothers when i was growing up my mother 'didnt work' outside the home, that doesnt mean she was unemployed, she wasnt claiming social welfare, she was a stay at home parent. She had no intention of getting a paid role outside the house (although she could have she was a qualified pharmacist), my father worked and supported the family.

They made a choice, for my mom to stay at home with us and for my dad to work.

Seems to be similar to your man from 4fm. they made a choice for her to stay at home.

There was another discussion about all social welfare payments being paid into bank accounts so people wouldn't have to collect their dole in the post office and of course he has to say it's pure laziness that people would prefer to be paid into their bank account.

It's not about laziness at all, when I had to collect my dole at the local post office it was horrible because I knew someone working in there and she was a right gossip, I use to try and work out what days she wasn't working so I could collect my dole, a few times I left the post office without collecting my money because I would have been served by her. So it's got nothing to do with laziness seeing as I asked social welfare to move me to a different post office a lot further away but they wouldn't.

He hasn't a clue about what it's like.

its tough alright but the reason you have to pick it up is to cut down on fraud and the like.

when he's giving out about people being unemployed he's taking about people who can work but are claiming social welfare.

not people who are on illness benefit or disability payments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

seen a flyer today saying 96% of employers support JobBridge :D good times.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    seen a flyer today saying 96% of employers support JobBridge :D good times.

Was this some sort of committee set up to try and keep the scheme?

I can only imagine two possible sources for such a flyer:
    1. The Judean People Before Profit's Front/Anti-Austerity Front of Judea types
    2. A Gordon Gekko-wannabe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

There's one for a manager in Carrolls in Dublin.

Now they're not asking for experience since they can't, I think.
    But is this not defeating the purpose of the entire thing?

Here

I can only imagine two possible sources for such a flyer:
    1. The Judean People Before Profit's Front/Anti-Austerity Front of Judea types
    2. A Gordon Gekko-wannabe :pac:
    they had them stuffed in local intreo office all over the place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hi sorry know this is off topic but how long does someone have to be unemployed consecutively no breaks to be called by Turus Nua? I'm just worried because my work contract finishes in August and I have been off the dole since last October? Is there a chance I could be called by this crowd or will they not come near me until I was on the dole for a year or more?

I'm just after reading a horrible account of them on boards, feel sick if il end up on their list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I know a lad who has done 5 of these. Doesn't seem to get that he has no career as a result and he's not going anywhere fast. I keep telling him to apply for a real job instead of these mickey mouse schemes. Poor lad feels like he isn't worth more than the dole for the job he does and doesn't understand why someone would want to pay him a real wage. I actually think thus scheme has warped him mentally. He used be an alpha male type in college. Now his bit of a timid sissy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I applied for a couple of these yesterday. It seems like some of these places are looking for folk with experience, which is completely against the reasons why it was set up. Even when they are not saying that they want experience, they are still vetting people through CVs and the application forms looking for experience.

Your work experience should be irrelevant, they shouldn't even be allowed to ask. That is the whole point of the exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I applied for a couple of these yesterday. It seems like some of these places are looking for folk with experience, which is completely against the reasons why it was set up. Even when they are not saying that they want experience, they are still vetting people through CVs and the application forms looking for experience.

Your work experience should be irrelevant, they shouldn't even be allowed to ask. That is the whole point of the exercise.

If you want them to potentially take on interns at the end then obviously experience is needed.

You might have 9 months experience at the end but so would anyone. Better to have a year and 9 months for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mint Aero wrote:
    I know a lad who has done 5 of these. Doesn't seem to get that he has no career as a result and he's not going anywhere fast. I keep telling him to apply for a real job instead of these mickey mouse schemes. Poor lad feels like he isn't worth more than the dole for the job he does and doesn't understand why someone would want to pay him a real wage. I actually think thus scheme has warped him mentally. He used be an alpha male type in college. Now his bit of a timid sissy.

Nice! Sounds like this chap could be developing mental health issues. Sissy! Nice way of describing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If you want them to potentially take on interns at the end then obviously experience is needed.

You might have 9 months experience at the end but so would anyone. Better to have a year and 9 months for example.

I'm not sure if you understood me. They are looking for experience before the internship even begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hi sorry know this is off topic but how long does someone have to be unemployed consecutively no breaks to be called by Turus Nua? I'm just worried because my work contract finishes in August and I have been off the dole since last October? Is there a chance I could be called by this crowd or will they not come near me until I was on the dole for a year or more?

I'm just after reading a horrible account of them on boards, feel sick if il end up on their list.

Everything resets once you are off social welfare, so if you are going back on it you could not be called by them for 12 months.

I'm not sure if you understood me. They are looking for experience before the internship even begins.

Oh no, he understands you, but having sympathy for Jobbridge slaves violates the commandments of the Church of Laissez-Faire.

Oh no, he understands you, but having sympathy for Jobbridge slaves violates the commandments of the Church of Laissez-Faire.

:rolleyes:

I got that but my point is a candidate with experience before they start the internship is more likely to get taken on than a candidate without experience before the internship starts.

You can't blame employers for wanting the best candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I got that but my point is a candidate with experience before they start the internship is more likely to get taken on than a candidate without experience before the internship starts.

You can't blame employers for wanting the best candidate.

Then that makes the whole scheme benefit the employer.

When the whole point of the scheme is to benefit the employee.

• Advertisement

Then that makes the whole scheme benefit the employer.

When the whole point of the scheme is to benefit the employee.
    It benefits the employee in the sense that they get an "in" they otherwise wouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

It benefits the employee in the sense that they get an "in" they otherwise wouldn't have.

No, it benefits the employer as they get an "experienced" employee that they use to have to pay for.

C'mon frozen, you know this...

Yeah benefits of getting in,think every company for such reason loves JB since once your in 9months and your out for next person to be in.Thus who wouldn't want to save 10-15k on minimum wage over the year when they can get someone do it free round and round,specially if they can pick someone who has already experience makes a lot easier so no need for training.

while i get initial idea of JB being filler on cv for long-term unemployed and getting those people with no skills to gain some experience.

Can recommend Springboard for those who need skills or change fields,it covers most courses and qualifications in demand and you do get proper experience and training if accepted to gain degree in new field,while you will need to cover some costs but its better alternative to JobBridge joke that exists now,thus it wont limit one to search for job while being on course.

Also it encourages people to complete course and most come with attached work experience that are either paid or might become permanent positions if one is accepted in such course,and not pushed around for jobs which can barely cover their own costs of running.

No, it benefits the employer as they get an "experienced" employee that they use to have to pay for.

C'mon frozen, you know this...

Can it not benefit both?

What does it matter if someone else benefits as long as you benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

€146.50 for 40 hours work. :(

Surely thats against some sort of law around minimum wage.

I though i might of got boosted up to the €188 + €52.50 amount which would have been half ok but i clearly didnt read up on the terms beforehand.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    €146.50 for 40 hours work. :(

Surely thats against some sort of law around minimum wage.

I though i might of got boosted up to the €188 + €52.50 amount which would have been half ok but i clearly didnt read up on the terms beforehand.

It is €50 on top of what your weekly is, if you read the literature the employer gets, it states that under so circumstances can they give any money to the intern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Xenji wrote: »
    It is €50 on top of what your weekly is, if you read the literature the employer gets, it states that under no circumstances can they give any money to the intern.

Yeah i read that today :(

Im enjoying working though so atleast thats something.

You are doing better than most then so far!

How come when you go to the fas website, there used to be drop down links to: find a course, find a job and some other things. The find a job link is missing. Has the jobs been replaced with jobbridge and CE schemes?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 All Americans Sound Camp

You're enjoying being a slave?

The sooner it's abolished the better!

Advertisement