Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The Raptor wrote: »
    How come when you go to the fas website, there used to be drop down links to: find a course, find a job and some other things. The find a job link is missing. Has the jobs been replaced with jobbridge and CE schemes?

Unfortunately the jobbridges and CE jobs are listed along with the paying jobs on the FAS/Solas website as well sometimes they won't say if they are paying or not so its hard to know unless you look up jobbridge website to be sure.

Bit weird that they have taken the 'jobs' option off the menu of the website though. Sometimes they might have to do regular updates and maintenance of the website might not always get the desired page of the job you were looking at, at another time as link addresses to jobs can expire.

Maybe wait a few hours/days to check again should be there really as I checked recently myself but not there today. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

You're enjoying being a slave?

The sooner it's abolished the better!

Sooner the better for sure.

Still enjoy the work though, just not the pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The sooner it's abolished the better!

We are all slaves, wage Slaves either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

What happens if you are on Turas Nua and do not find a job . They say they will put you on a CE scheme true or bluff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

rgossip30 wrote: »
    What happens if you are on Turas Nua and do not find a job . They say they will put you on a CE scheme true or bluff ?

They are there to get you full time employment, not to be put on any schemes, if you do not find anything in the 12 months you are on it, you get sent back to the DSP.

From what I have heard, Turas Nua are far worse then Seetec when it comes to the JobPath scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Xenji wrote: »
    They are there to get you full time employment, not to be put on any schemes, if you do not find anything in the 12 months you are on it, you get sent back to the DSP.

From what I have heard, Turas Nua are far worse then Seetec when it comes to the JobPath scheme.

That supervisor there sounds like hitler .They ask personal questions too and you have to think before you speak . They seem to be trying to get info on you for their reports .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm a recent social care graduate applying for jobs in my field. The amount of JobBridge jobs I see for this line of work is scandalous.

Looking after vulnerable people with little to no relevant qualifications and people wonder why abuse takes place in these services.

Makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm a recent social care graduate applying for jobs in my field. The amount of JobBridge jobs I see for this line of work is scandalous.

Looking after vulnerable people with little to no relevant qualifications and people wonder why abuse takes place in these services.

Makes me sick.

the correlation between people
    with little to no relevant qualifications
    and abuse

has nothing to do with abuse taking place.

Abuse takes place because there are horrible people in the world not because people take jobs in the care sector with little experience or qualifications.

there are thousands of people working as carers privately with no qualifications other than having a sick family member that manage to do it without qualifications and without abusing people.

thought they would have learned you that in college.

the correlation between people and abuse

has nothing to do with abuse taking place.

Abuse takes place because there are horrible people in the world not because people take jobs in the care sector with little experience or qualifications.

there are thousands of people working as carers privately with no qualifications other than having a sick family member that manage to do it without qualifications and without abusing people.

thought they would have learned you that in college.

I'm aware that abuse takes place from those with relevant qualifications. But the fact that these type of jobs are advertised in this sector, shouldn't be the case.

There are some amazing people I've come across with no qualifications. I've also seen people with qualifications who are awful at their job.

But, my point is that it's insane for companies to even allow a position to be taken up by job bridge schemes in this line of work.

But I appreciate your snarky comment nonetheless.

But I appreciate your snarky comment nonetheless.

not snarky i just disagree with you.

you seem to be implying that people on Jobbridge are either unqualified or unsuitable for these roles...
    my point is that it's insane for companies to even allow a position to be taken up by job bridge schemes in this line of work. .

if they are qualified, and want to work in that sector why not? its a good way to get their foot in the door of an industry that requires more than just qualifications...

is your issue with the people who use Jobbridge (ie unemployed people) not being suitable for a position in the sector because they are unemployed or because you have some idea of the type of person that is unemployed?

take this for example: Joe is unemployed, does a course in Social Care or Caring or something related QQI level 5 and 6 funded by his back to education allowance- cant get a job coz he's no experience. should he not be allowed do a jobbridge in the sector to get his start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Not everyone hates the work they do. Some people like their job. If that user likes their job, don't belittle them. Sounds more like you're just annoyed someone is happy on it.
    The Raptor wrote: »
    How come when you go to the fas website, there used to be drop down links to: find a course, find a job and some other things. The find a job link is missing. Has the jobs been replaced with jobbridge and CE schemes?

Er, it's here: http://goo.gl/YN6zpW

you seem to be implying that people on Jobbridge are either unqualified or unsuitable for these roles...

I think for the type of work that it is that it's morally unjust to have these type of jobs as part of the jobbridge scheme unless it's a form of admin role within the setting.
    if they are qualified, and want to work in that sector why not? its a good way to get their foot in the door of an industry that requires more than just qualifications...

If they're qualified and want to go through this route, I see no problem in it. Like I say, for the type of work it is, it requires a pretty high standard of qualification. Legislation coming down the road will say that level 7/8 will be the minimum requirement for social care jobs.
    is your issue with the people who use Jobbridge (ie unemployed people) not being suitable for a position in the sector because they are unemployed or because you have some idea of the type of person that is unemployed?

Now you're putting words into my mouth.

I don't see an issue with people using jobbridge. That's their choice. i have an issue with people who aren't qualified to have hands on care with vulnerable people which is why I don't agree with health care/social care jobs being listed as part as the scheme.
    take this for example: Joe is unemployed, does a course in Social Care or Caring or something related QQI level 5 and 6 funded by his back to education allowance- cant get a job coz he's no experience. should he not be allowed do a jobbridge in the sector to get his start?

If this was the case, I'd suggest voluntary work. It certainly helped me and I got great experience from it. It's much more limited but still serves for good experience.

not everyone can afford to do voluntary work and if you are on a social welfare payment you are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

not everyone can afford to do voluntary work and if you are on a social welfare payment you are not allowed.
    You're allowed. You have to notify them. I believe you have to notify them since it's a change in circumstances and might affect your claim if it interferes with you looking for work.

Citizens Information:
    Voluntary work is a good way to keep active, learn new skills and get involved in your local community. You may do some unpaid work as a volunteer and keep your social welfare payment. However, you must continue to meet all the conditions attached to your payment.

Your Intreo centre or social welfare local office or the section paying your social welfare payment will usually decide whether you can keep your social welfare payment and work as a volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Tombi! wrote: »
    You're allowed. You have to notify them. I believe you have to notify them since it's a change in circumstances and might affect your claim if it interferes with you looking for work.

I worked in the Department of Social Welfare and they are very odd and suspicious around people doing Voluntary work, you are better off not mentioning voluntary work if you are doing it.

Tombi! wrote: »

you cant, the deceleration you sign states you are willing and available for full time work, volunteering effects this.

you can ask but they will place you on the CE or TUS schemes if you want to volunteer, if there is an option for Jobbridge in your sector they will also 'encourage' that

Citizens Information:

i can google too mate.

try applying that social care qualification to real life where the rest of us live.

they let people volunteer in Irish cancer society shops and St Vincent De Paul,

not as care workers to get work experience...

thats one of the reasons jobbridge was introduced.

to help people get experience without being taken a ride off. (this didnt happen but thats another story)

i can google too mate.

try applying that social care qualification to real life where the rest of us live.

they let people volunteer in Irish cancer society shops and St Vincent De Paul,

not as care workers to get work experience...

thats one of the reasons jobbridge was introduced.

to help people get experience without being taken a ride off. (this didnt happen but thats another story)

What's my qualification got to do with it? No need for the dickish comment tbh.

Working in SVP/Irish Cancer Society shops are totally different to being one on one/having hands on contact with people and you know it.

My issue isn't with Jobbridge as a whole. My issue is having social care/health care jobs as part of Jobbridge. Experience is all well and good and while most people have an empathetic/caring disposition, it requires a hell of a lot more skills/training than people might think.

Carer's internships, like the solicitors ones and teachers ones, are fully qualified roles. Just no experience required.

• Advertisement

What's my qualification got to do with it? No need for the dickish comment tbh.

Working in SVP/Irish Cancer Society shops are totally different to being one on one/having hands on contact with people and you know it.

My issue isn't with Jobbridge as a whole. My issue is having social care/health care jobs as part of Jobbridge. Experience is all well and good and while most people have an empathetic/caring disposition, it requires a hell of a lot more skills/training than people might think.

snarky and dickish, you have an amazing command of the english langague bud. just because i disagree with you, again that doesnt make me snarky or dickish.

your qualification has everything to do with it, in general people in your industry are less judgmental and more empathic to people who need the hand up.

and if the people who are doing the jobbridge to get into the industry have qualifications then why not do a jobbridge, you are the one with the chip on your shoulder, if organisations cant afford to train and let staff get experience (owing to the nature of the industry where it is mostly NGO, Charity etc rarely privately funded and for profit orgs) then why is it a bad thing?

• I got the dreaded JobPath letter yesterday. I'm due to attend an info session on Tuesday. Can I ask a quick question: do I have still have to sign on every month whilst on JobPath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I got the dreaded JobPath letter yesterday. I'm due to attend an info session on Tuesday. Can I ask a quick question: do I have still have to sign on every month whilst on JobPath?
    It depends on where you are so you'd want to ask locally.

http://whatsnew.citizensinformation.ie/2016/05/03/know-your-rights-jobpath/
    Depending on local arrangements, while you are on JobPath you may sign on for your jobseeker’s payment less often than at present, or in some situations you may not have to sign on at all.

I got the dreaded JobPath letter yesterday. I'm due to attend an info session on Tuesday. Can I ask a quick question: do I have still have to sign on every month whilst on JobPath?

They are meant to excuse you from signing after the first couple of weeks for the 12 months you are on it, pray you are with Seetec though and not Turas Nua.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone knows how one deals with springboard work experience,since due to complete 12 weeks of work which wont be paid,but found only old posts that its best to get letter from college stating you'll be doing it ? Since seems depending on WF office and who works some people dont know all schemes that are out there.

I got the dreaded JobPath letter yesterday. I'm due to attend an info session on Tuesday.
    What's dreadful about it?

I've just googled JobPath, it sounds like a wonderful scheme. They seem to practically guarantee you a job, which should be a huge relief, especially for anyone who is long-term unemployed and willing to work.

What's dreadful about it?

I've just googled JobPath, it sounds like a wonderful scheme. They seem to practically guarantee you a job, which should be a huge relief, especially for anyone who is long-term unemployed and willing to work.

Not sure what you are reading but that is far from the truth, my friend is working with one of the two foreign companies involved and since he started late last year they have found about 10 people jobs and he has a client list of around 100 people and another 2 collegues have the same number, so they may end up finding about 3-5% of participents jobs.

It is very hard for them to magic up jobs in a county that has had 0% growth so far this year and where job losses outpace job creation.

It is very hard for them to magic up jobs in a county that has had 0% growth so far this year and where job losses outpace job creation.
    Job losses are not outpacing job creation. There were 33,800 fewer people unemployed in May 2016 than there were 12 months previously.

There were 47,000 extra people in employment in Q1 2016 than in the same quarter of 2015, meaning the fall in the live register is not explained by emigration and age demographics.

There are no GDP growth figures yet available for this year, but Ireland's GDP grew by almost 8% last year, and is forecast by the European Commission to grow by about 5% this year.

Are you in 2016?

I still don't understand why anyone would describe JobPath assistance as "dreadful". If you're looking for work, you should welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Not sure what you are reading but that is far from the truth, my friend is working with one of the two foreign companies involved and since he started late last year they have found about 10 people jobs and he has a client list of around 100 people and another 2 collegues have the same number, so they may end up finding about 3-5% of participents jobs.

IIRC one of those foreign companies has been accused of rights abuses.

• Advertisement

Job losses are not outpacing job creation. There were 33,800 fewer people unemployed in May 2016 than there were 12 months previously.

There were 47,000 extra people in employment in Q1 2016 than in the same quarter of 2015, meaning the fall in the live register is not explained by emigration and age demographics.

There are no GDP growth figures yet available for this year, but Ireland's GDP grew by almost 8% last year, and is forecast by the European Commission to grow by about 5% this year.

Are you in 2016?

I still don't understand why anyone would describe JobPath assistance as "dreadful". If you're looking for work, you should welcome it.

Did I say all of Ireland, no just a county, there has been 0% growth in the West region ( Mayo, Galway, Roscommon) so far this year and umenployment is now back to 2003 levels and job loses in the region are outpacing creation, we all do not live in Dublin, which a lot of people seem to think.

Advertisement