Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

jjbrien wrote: »
    She wont be getting mine and thats for sure and Im a voter in her constituency. My brother always voted for her too and he said he will never do it again.

I cant belive she let it be extended to 18 months

Look at these 2 jobs advertised on there

Hair Salon Assistant

They have 5 salons surely it wouldn't break the bank to pay someone

Then this one

Butchers Assistant

Does anyone in fas check these postions before they advertise them?

Butcher is a skilled trade requiring an apprenticeship and you can be trained up and join the national guild of master craftsman eventually.

If a butcher shop wants a extra pair of hands they should be training an apprentice, not hiring an assistant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The Butcher's Assistant role seems to have gone. The Hair Salon Assistant - Looks as though the poor cow will be sweeping up and making the tea! No wonder they didn't want any qualifications outside of a JC. The shop haven't even asked for a hairdressing student...

I thought you had to go to college to study hairdressing?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A friend of mine is planning a big write up on the ills of the scheme, he was telling me the last day when he was going through all the jobs for research that a lot more are now only stating the Junior Cert as a minimum requirement, even ones he saw before asking for some 3rd level qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Exploitation at its best. Two of my friends have recently graduated from an intense four year health course. Both are now working as allied health professionals in one of the major hospitals, forty hour week....on jobridge. Doing the exact same job that others in their department are being paid to do by the HSE.
    Makes me so angry. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Scouser wrote: »
    yeah it sure does seem to be!

didnt tesco hire all its christmas shelf packing staff from jobbridge?

and AIG hired all its call centre sales staff too - tax payers paying people to make a failed institution mega money!

No, they tried to but all the positions got pulled when they were reported and given to legitimate workers. In tesco anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What's the story with holiday pay on internships if you don't get the time off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I think you have to tell them, which means they'll take the €50 off of you while you're away.

You're entitled to the same statutory holidays as an employed person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭marvin_spazz

molly coodled for sure. up at 4 am my arse . im up at 6 am billllllllllllll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJNL1BmukU

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

My brothers Fiance has been working for the last 9 months full time for a Beauty Salon. Made work every Saturday, and she pulls in an average of €500 on Friday/Saturday every week, and over €200 herself every day during the week from the work she does.

She got a text from her boss saying it was a "hard November" and she won't be kept on once the €50 a week is over in January

The boss also told her she has to work right up to Christmas including Christmas eve and then back in on the 27th :eek:

Makes my absolutely sick to my stomach. I would love to go and burn this place to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Drakares wrote: »
    My brothers Fiance has been working for the last 9 months full time for a Beauty Salon. Made work every Saturday, and she pulls in an average of €500 on Friday/Saturday every week, and over €200 herself every day during the week from the work she does.

She got a text from her boss saying it was a "hard November" and she won't be kept on once the €50 a week is over in January

The boss also told her she has to work right up to Christmas including Christmas eve and then back in on the 27th :eek:

Makes my absolutely sick to my stomach. I would love to go and burn this place to the ground.

But thats what Jobsbridge is for, making good profits for employer,
    but why do people take them on in first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    But thats what Jobsbridge is for, making good profits for employer,
    but why do people take them on in first place.

Because she's been sitting on her arse for 2 years and wanted to get out and work with the slightest hope that if she done her best she'd be kept on and paid a wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

If they aint going to take her on after she should quit before xmas eve makes no diffrence either way but would serve the employer right..... Some of the clinets who like her might ask her to do their hair elsewhere and pay her for it so she might be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Because she's been sitting on her arse for 2 years and wanted to get out and work with the slightest hope that if she done her best she'd be kept on and paid a wage.

Will there be any sanction if her soon to be ex-"employer" decides to give a new person the opportunity to learn the ropes of the business in february or march?

I really can't believe some of the stunts being pulled on this scheme.I have self identified myself as a conservative,,but crap like this is eroding my beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not criticizing but i get see the frustration of working hard and at the end of it not getting a job and you said hes still making good money out of her.
    if it wasn't for this scheme he would have to take some one on to bring in the money, she may be in full time work today. the more people who take on jobbridge the longer it will be here, so no full time unskilled jobs for anyone.

crockholm wrote: »
    Will there be any sanction if her soon to be ex-"employer" decides to give a new person the opportunity to learn the ropes of the business in february or march?

I really can't believe some of the stunts being pulled on this scheme.I have self identified myself as a conservative,,but crap like this is eroding my beliefs.

Nope, they got rid of the cooling off period, they can hire a new person as soon as she leaves, the scheme is just a revolving door of free staff now, since they did away with the cooling off period nobody is being kept on even though that number was quite low before that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

IBEC finally have their work for no pay policy firmly in place, the bending over from the government to IBEC is truly horrific, anyone with a vote in her constituency should make sure to never ever have Joan brutal representing them in the dail again, thatcher would love Joan ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I'm doing a full-time post grad at the moment and as it's a conversion course, I'm hoping to get some kind of work experience or internship if I fail to get a job on graduation. Emailed a few places. Got a reply from one today informing me that they take on one Jobbridge intern a year and that I'm welcome to have my CV considered with the other Jobbridge applicants next year. Le sigh.

I intend to have some semblance of a job got on finishing next June, even if it's just a stop-gap, and have absolutely no intention of going on the dole. I'm working a part-time cleaner whilst studying as it's nice and flexible and I'll keep it up and increase my hours in June if I've nothing course-related secured. There is something slightly fecked up about being encouraged to go on the dole by a firm, so that they can maybe hire you.

I feel as if I have read this post before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

If she's good, and customers like her, she should start working as a mobile hairdresser. Or work from her home. Undercut him, tell all her clients before she leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

jjbrien wrote: »
    If they aint going to take her on after she should quit before xmas eve makes no diffrence either way but would serve the employer right..... Some of the clinets who like her might ask her to do their hair elsewhere and pay her for it so she might be better off.

She might be given a bad reference then. The "employer" holds the power.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I feel as if I have read this post before.

You probably have, as my account is clearly an incarnation of a previous one. And?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have to admit... this internship non-sense is getting real annoying.

I've just finished a course and looking to get employment in my new career. Now we all now jobsbridge is stopping paid jobs from being created. Thats been talked to hell on here :P but ....

... Kicker is if I want to do an internship in my field I have to have experience. Most look for at least 2 years. Thought the whole point of an internship was to give recent graduates experience.

I have to admit... this internship non-sense is getting real annoying.

I've just finished a course and looking to get employment in my new career. Now we all now jobsbridge is stopping paid jobs from being created. Thats been talked to hell on here :P but ....

... Kicker is if I want to do an internship in my field I have to have experience. Most look for at least 2 years. Thought the whole point of an internship was to give recent graduates experience.

Yep it was, but now as long as you have the Junior Cert you can do the majority of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Xenji wrote: »
    A friend of mine is planning a big write up on the ills of the scheme, he was telling me the last day when he was going through all the jobs for research that a lot more are now only stating the Junior Cert as a minimum requirement, even ones he saw before asking for some 3rd level qualification.

I saw one in NUIG a month ago that said a Masters in Genetics was desired.

I almost cried.

Friend of mine is on an internship. When he started he was told he'd be doing lots of interesting work in a field he's interested in and that they wanted to keep him on and were only using jobsbridge to ease the burden in training in new staff.

Since he began he has done nothing remotely related to his field and instead is the office slave. His daily tasks include starting 15 minutes before everyone else so that a pot of coffee will be there when the others start. He is sent to the shop multiple times a day and was recently told that he must walk to a different shop as the sandwiches are 40-50 cent cheaper there than in the shop closest to the business. It's a 40 minute round trip and one more than one ocassion he's done the trip three times in the day. He has also been told to wash the bosses car, the bosses wife's car and other employee cars. He's been sent in to tesco to pick up groceries for the wife and has had their kids left with him in the office. A few days ago he was told that he is required to work Christmas Day as the boss wants to get a head start on the new year. He's spoke to the DSP and fas about it and neither has been all that helpful and I imagine that be will be quitting this week. The sad thing is that there are thousands of similar stories from people in the scheme.

It really is a sham of a scheme which seems to have been set up simply to abuse those looking for work.

Just to add, the guaranteed position is no longer there as the boss can't afford to pay him and as such a new I term is being hired once my friends 9 months is up

Friend of mine is on an internship. When he started he was told he'd be doing lots of interesting work in a field he's interested in and that they wanted to keep him on and were only using jobsbridge to ease the burden in training in new staff.

Since he began he has done nothing remotely related to his field and instead is the office slave. His daily tasks include starting 15 minutes before everyone else so that a pot of coffee will be there when the others start. He is sent to the shop multiple times a day and was recently told that he must walk to a different shop as the sandwiches are 40-50 cent cheaper there than in the shop closest to the business. It's a 40 minute round trip and one more than one ocassion he's done the trip three times in the day. He has also been told to wash the bosses car, the bosses wife's car and other employee cars. He's been sent in to tesco to pick up groceries for the wife and has had their kids left with him in the office. A few days ago he was told that he is required to work Christmas Day as the boss wants to get a head start on the new year. He's spoke to the DSP and fas about it and neither has been all that helpful and I imagine that be will be quitting this week. The sad thing is that there are thousands of similar stories from people in the scheme.

It really is a sham of a scheme which seems to have been set up simply to abuse those looking for work.

That is one of the worst stories I have heard so far and I have heard many, FAS do not give a ****, any interns we have had in our council department have not been checked up on till the last week of the internship and we hear nothing from FAS for the duration. We had a issue where we sent out the monthly report in the post to FAS and it got "lost" 3 months in a row and not once they they contact us looking for it, for all they knew the intern could of left and would still be getting the extra 50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

That person needs to book an appointment to see his local TD about this abuse, that's a disgrace.

• Advertisement

How do these internships work when comparing them to comparable paid employees in the company? Seems to be able to bypass employment legislation. There's tonnes of case law on employment legislation in this country as it's comparatively strict in this country and employers seem to hate it. So this scheme seems to give them a neat way to fill what should be paying work so that they save money and can give less legal rights to the intern.

Advertisement