Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

However Donegal County Councillor Jack Murray, who has campaigned against the Jobbridge scheme, described the latest 'job' offers as "incredible."

He added: "These are not real jobs. If people are asked to work a 38-hour week they should be paid for those hours.

"I find it incredible that a business in breach of its tax liabilities can be allowed by this Government to take part in Jobbridge at all. It's scandalous."

Damm right they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

We need more of this. That some politicians are claiming jobbridge is a success is a fecking disgrace Joe, a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There definitely seems to be a turn in how the media is seeing jobbridge. I commented on this thread before that most of the media seemed to be absolutely avoiding anything to do with jobbridge (barr using it themselves to bolster their own staffing) but that seems to have changed. Just this week i have heard justifiable negativity directed at jobbridge by Matt Cooper, Joe Duffy, in this Independent article and in a local paper in Cork.

I hope to fcuk the tide is turning on Bruton and her scandalous, live register massaging, scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

SeaFields wrote: »
    There definitely seems to be a turn in how the media is seeing jobbridge. I commented on this thread before that most of the media seemed to be absolutely avoiding anything to do with jobbridge (barr using it themselves to bolster their own staffing) but that seems to have changed. Just this week i have heard justifiable negativity directed at jobbridge by Matt Cooper, Joe Duffy, in this Independent article and in a local paper in Cork.

I hope to fcuk the tide is turning on Bruton and her scandalous, live register massaging, scheme.

Figures and the calamity is starting to come out now, as the first term of 9 months is drawing to a close I'd imagine.

I'd expect to hear a plathora of stories of people who had ****ty experiences, wish they could post here, doesn't seem to be many people involved, mostly people who know people.

First hand experience trumps all,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I've said it before but this whole scheme makes me really uncomfortable.

Id far rather work a dead ender flipping burgers in supermacs and actually being able to pay my bills than work 40+ hours for **** all and struggle badly to make ends meet, and that's before i ever get into the fact that it's basically exploitation and nothing good would likely come of it.

It's kinda depressing how it's hit the entry level job market, trying to get work anywhere is incredibly frustrating. Basically it leaves mine and many other peoples options as:

1. Go back to college, spending more money and hoping to god the state give out a grant to do it.

2. Work a dead end job to make ends meet so as to pay the overheads.

3. Emigrate.

By far the best option is the last one, and it's sad that this country has failed this generation already. I left and came back earlier this year and i wonder why the **** i did it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

spiralism wrote: »
    I've said it before but this whole scheme makes me really uncomfortable.

Id far rather work a dead ender flipping burgers in supermacs and actually being able to pay my bills than work 40+ hours for **** all and struggle badly to make ends meet, and that's before i ever get into the fact that it's basically exploitation and nothing good would likely come of it.

There are ones worth doing that can potentially lead to a long term career that you desire. But, the problem is that it's difficult to identify the genuine ones. They are lost between the ones that are quite clearly taking the piss and that the ones that, while they'll give you some good experience, have no intention of offering you a full time contract.

There are ones worth doing that can potentially lead to a long term career that you desire. But, the problem is that it's difficult to identify the genuine ones. They are lost between the ones that are quite clearly taking the piss and that the ones that, while they'll give you some good experience, have no intention of offering you a full time contract.

They can but the numbers arent great and there's far more stories of crowds taking the piss in all honesty. What really gets me is that these are taking away entry level jobs that never required them, this system was supposedly meant to train people in to do jobs that took a bit of on the job learning, not packing shelves in tesco. Makes it harder then for one to even get a low level job to pay the bills.

If you're under 25 as well, it's not really livable either, 194 if you're signed on by this year or 150 if you're not is not something you can live off these days.

When they abolished the cooling off period the whole scheme should of been scrapped, companies do not have to wait 3 months before they can replace the intern anymore, they can bring in a new one straight away after the original intern finishes the 9 months, companies can just use a revolving door hiring system now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    When they abolished the cooling off period the whole scheme should of been scrapped, companies do not have to wait 3 months before they can replace the intern, they can bring in a new one straight away, companies can just use a revolving door hiring system now.

That literally was a ridiculous decision, it actually provided for the system to be more easily exploitable. Christ i hope prime time investigates does a feature on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I read this earlier. It's an absolute joke to think people would need training on how to fill a car with petrol/diesel or wash a car. The business should be barred from ever availing of the scheme again as they're clearly abusing it and the people they hope to enslave while on the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It' limited to 8500 placements at any one time. Over 2000 of those are currently not filled.

It' limited to 8500 placements at any one time. Over 2000 of those are currently not filled.

Quite a few people have already done their 9 months and I do not see many wanting to do another 9 months, so not surprised there are still free placements, people are coping on to the scam. As it stands 22000 placements have been filled since the schemes inception, but that number is probably higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I guess I got lucky with my one FAS course I did. Then again, I had to haunt them to get it as I had to be 6 months out of college to get it. Thankfully the course starting date was delayed by a month and I became eligible in that time.

There isn't one job bridge out there suitable for me. None whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    I'd say its the cheapest and easiest course for them to run.

I applied to FAS for a course in Revit (in the same interview that I was told to leave the country)

Glad to see I woznt the only one told by FAS/DSP to emigrate:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

My missus was on a Jobbridge internship for 9 months, after which she was let go, but then she was hired by another company for a 4 month internship (not Jobbridge), and she has now secured a permanent contract with the same company.

Great to see Jobbridge working and it restores your faith in the system, given all the cynics on threads like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My missus was on a Jobbridge internship for 9 months, after which she was let go, but then she was hired by another company for a 4 month internship (not Jobbridge), and she has now secured a permanent contract with the same company.

Great to see Jobbridge working and it restores your faith in the system, given all the cynics on threads like this.

Then your wife is very lucky, and I'm pleased for her. There are some good stories out there. Far outweighed by the bad ones if you read the thread.

The only cynics (ab)using the JB scheme are the politicians and the cheapskate p1ss-taking employers mercilessly taking part in the scam, sorry, scheme.

Never waste a good recession, eh? ;)

Fair play to your wife, but she is really in the minority, I have been dealing with interns for the last 2 years as a mentor and not one has had a good story to tell me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Daith

Am I reading this wrong or did the Jobbridge not actually work? She was hired after an internship which had nothing to do with the job bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you're looking at it wrong.
    While it's obviously a great thing your wife got a job with a company.
    The problem to me is that it was with another company.

Surely if this scheme was working, she'd have been hired after the nine months or was the company not satisfied with her?

Or maybe like so many horror stories they'll hire someone else to replace your wife while she hopes to get a job elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

This free labor scam is, to me, the most important issue in the country, as it is affecting schools, health services and everything in between. While i understand that the recession is the number one reason many cannot get a job, this scheme has to be a close second. Any party who plans to abolish it will get my vote, even if its FF who ran the country into the ground, etc. I know that sounds a bit mad but the bank debts can't really be changed. On the other hand we sure as hell can get people back into paid work, if we stop this widely abused slave labor/statistics spinner scam. Joan Burton and Labour are a disgrace, and so are FAS who let so many of these obvious abuses of the system continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well, FÁS is now known as Solas and it's directly tied into the welfare system now.
    So basically, if they get people on JB/courses, it looks like people are off the live register.

So it's just really one giant con to me.

If every one of the 22000 interns ( so far that we know ) completed the 9 months, this scheme will of cost the government just shy of under €40 million in the last 2 years, not counting all the various taxes they will have lost as well from those 22000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Well, FÁS is now known as Solas and it's directly tied into the welfare system now.
    So basically, if they get people on JB/courses, it looks like people are off the live register.

So it's just really one giant con to me.

Well, of course it is! Smoke and mirrors. You can fool all of the people some of the time. But you can't fool all of the people all of the time. Sooner or later they'll recover from the 'Mushroom Syndrome'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

There was a survey in the US recently which found that new graduates that did unpaid internships had only a fractionally higher likelihood of receiving a job offer than someone without an internship.
    But those who did a paid internship had a far higher likelihood of a job offer.
    Results of NACE’s 2013 Student Survey show that 63.1 percent of paid interns received at least one job offer. In comparison, only 37 percent of unpaid interns got an offer; that’s not much better than results for those with no internship—35.2 percent received at least one job offer.

And the BBC points out that the US rules on internships are far stricter than ours. So if the internship training turns out to be a lie, the intern can sue and receive backpay.
    According to the US Department of Labor and the Fair Labor Standards Act, six criteria must be met for an unpaid internship in the US.

The internship is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment
    The internship is for the benefit of the intern
    The intern does not replace the role of existing employees
    The employer of the intern gets no "immediate advantage" from the intern's work
    The intern is not entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship
    Both the employer and the intern understand that it is an unpaid internship

Any chance of getting those standards from the Labour party.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm sure an employer can put 1+1 together when they see someone highly skilled jumping around jobridge from helping in a cake shop to cleaning toilets in a bar to taking orders at a cafe.

And in fairness, I wouldn't put a jobridge thing NEAR my CV. Most of the negative and angry comments are from overskilled workers doing jobs in this scheme. Jesus why would you put it on your CV?

I worked in a bar for a short stint living in the Canary Islands. I was let go and replaced by a girl, as the manager simply outlined " Sorry mate tits get the lads in drinking".

I don't put that on my CV when I'm going into job interviews for my field : /

So you leave that off your CV and have a blank period of 9 months on your CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I worked for a company in which they insisted on an account of your last 5 years, gone travelling the world - bank statements will back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Daith wrote: »
    Am I reading this wrong or did the Jobbridge not actually work? She was hired after an internship which had nothing to do with the job bridge?

I suppose the Jobbridge experience might have helped her get the second internship.

Advertisement