Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

ressem wrote: »
    Any chance of getting those standards from the Labour party.
    I would question the second last condition. I think if the intern performs to a high standard and meets agreed criteria, then employers should be forced to make a job offer.

Can't afford to make a job offer? Well then tough shizzle to be honest, these companies should be disqualified from the scheme (and yep, don't care if you're a small business either). Only companies who actively believe in giving back to society should be allowed participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lads just wondering about a friend he doesn't think their is anything to do and he is probably right. A few weeks ago he helped interview candidates for a jobsbridge in a small accountants office. He was telling me he was surprised at the qualifications the people had and how some had years experience. So the last few weeks he has been helping out this new intern and he thought nothing of it. He got called in last week saying his contract won't be renewed at the end of January even though he has worked their 4 years and has never had any problems. It's obvious the employer is getting him to train in somebody to do his job for free but i presume he can't do anything because his contract will be up. This really sickens me he can't afford to leave with Christmas coming up and instead has to keep training an intern to take his job. Their is nothing the intern can do either i would say morale is high in that office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lads just wondering about a friend he doesn't think their is anything to do and he is probably right. A few weeks ago he helped interview candidates for a jobsbridge in a small accountants office. He was telling me he was surprised at the qualifications the people had and how some had years experience. So the last few weeks he has been helping out this new intern and he thought nothing of it. He got called in last week saying his contract won't be renewed at the end of January even though he has worked their 4 years and has never had any problems. It's obvious the employer is getting him to train in somebody to do his job for free but i presume he can't do anything because his contract will be up. This really sickens me he can't afford to leave with Christmas coming up and instead has to keep training an intern to take his job. Their is nothing the intern can do either i would say morale is high in that office.

Hopefully your friend and the intern both get new jobs and sail out the door together in the same week leaving them high and dry.

Edit, your friend should talk to an employment law solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sala wrote: »

He's on a contract. It's not right morally but legally the employer has every right to not renew the contract :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I think the worst part of it is that most of the scams (let's face it, that's a pretty accurate name) are stuff that do require some basic experience, even with stock control or the hostel cleaner but it'd take maybe a month, at most.

So in the long run, it's not just that the company is getting free employment, it's also that there's very little risk.
    If you're paying me for a month or so and I turn out to be a right idiot at the job with no chance of improving, you've lost out on money from wages, other people having to fix my mistakes, etc.

Whereas with this... scheme, all you're doing to is minimizing risks and it's almost like the government knows it.

What really gets though is it's like a revolving door system. Employer A "hires" slave A. Employer B "hires" slave B.
    After the nine months, slave A goes to employer B and slave B goes to Employer A.
    And it continues as the businesses just play musical f**king chairs with people that desperately wanna work

Of course given the fact some government departments are getting in on the slave market too, it was obvious (at least now) that it's just a kill two birds with one stone deal.
    Hire free slaves, make it look like they're working and they pay out less money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    He's on a contract. It's not right morally but legally the employer has every right to not renew the contract :(

Maybe so. But the employer doesn't have the right to bump off a paid employee in favour of a JB intern.

That is why I agree he should get clarification from an employment solicitor.

• Advertisement

Sala wrote: »
    Hopefully your friend and the intern both get new jobs and sail out the door together in the same week leaving them high and dry.

But what can an employment solicitor do probably try keep his job? Even if this happens i am sure the boss will just make his life misery at work and look for any excuse to make him walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Nuts102, employment law is far stricter in this country than people think, your friend should take action. Contract workers have the same rights as full-time staff, pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

As you can see this is a well posted on thread!
    I've read it from the start and can tell you that yours is not the first account of this happening.
    If you care to read through the whole thread it may be of some use to your friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

But what can an employment solicitor do probably try keep his job? Even if this happens i am sure the boss will just make his life misery at work and look for any excuse to make him walk.

They cannot do anything as it stands, they have no precedent for it, employers at the moment are legally allowed to let go their interns after they complete the 6/9 months or even before that and then take a new intern on the next day regardless of circumstance.

This whole scheme is geared towards the employer not the employee, only 20 companies have been so far banned from using the scheme and as of the end of October 2013 there have been 22000 officially recognized Jobbridge placements, this number is probably higher, but we will never know.

We have all seen or been made aware of people totally pulling the piss out of the scheme by posts in this thread and others and if only 20 have been banned you can tell it is a bigger joke....Maid, Petrol Pump Assistant, Photocopier Assistant, Shelf Stocker, Shop Assistant, Car Washer, and Janitor have all been advertised on the Jobbridge site and posted on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Just remembered, I made this a while ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nuts102, employment law is far stricter in this country than people think, your friend should take action. Contract workers have the same rights as full-time staff, pretty much.

This government have ensured that there is an overall bias towards employer veracity. Employment law is a joke.

Take the example of an employer who fails or refuses to submit a p45 to the revenue on the cessation of an employees employment.

Do the revenue prosecute - no
    Is their a dedicated place to make a complaint - no

Am employer can completely fx up a persons tax record, prevent then accessing social welfare benefit etc by this one simple nasty 'oversight'

The other bizarre situation is the role that employers enjoy with social welfare as effective agents for welfare and the common practice of more senior social welfare personnel being 'awarded' directorships of companies.

Where is the separation of powers in this model? The whole system is geared towards the employer and unfortunately the employee frequently gets shafted. Outside public sector employment the unions are a joke with senior officials again accepting positions on the boards of companies.

As for employment law - it is no more than useless unless you have thousands to spend on proper legal representation and even then an employee chances are stacked against them by vested interest and a burden of proof that is nearly impossible for any single employee to shoulder.

This government has made a nation of slaves out of those unlucky enough to be employed by unscrupulous employers. And with the government supporting such employers and offering slave labour with virtually no employment rights - what exactly is any employee being treated inequitably supposed to do?

As has been suggested to many posters on here by government officials - leave this corrupt little country for what it is... Bankrupt both morally and fiscally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I just had a quick flick through the IT category on the "search for internships" section.

I nearly vomited on myself. To see the roles that companies are looking for interns for, offering a €50 topup to your dole, disgusting. The roles would normally demand between a 28k-35k salary. There is also a number of testing analysts and data analyst positions....

That is so blatantly a case of a company under resourcing a project and exploiting job bridge to save costs.

This is more and more disgusting as I look deeper and deeper into it. I'll make sure to mention this to the next Labour or Fine Gael arsehole that knocks at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Daith wrote: »
    Am I reading this wrong or did the Jobbridge not actually work? She was hired after an internship which had nothing to do with the job bridge?

She was hired for an internship, which was a similar role, but not exactly the same as the JobBridge role. The JobBridge internship didn't work out. The company with whom she had the JobBridge internship wanted someone with more experience than her - she's only starting out in her career, whereas they wanted someone with a bit more experience who could work on their own without their work having to be checked by the two partners all the time.

Anyway the JobBridge experience contributed to her current situation, which is that she is now employed, so in the end the JobBridge helped her got employed.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you're looking at it wrong.
    While it's obviously a great thing your wife got a job with a company.
    The problem to me is that it was with another company.

Surely if this scheme was working, she'd have been hired after the nine months or was the company not satisfied with her?

Or maybe like so many horror stories they'll hire someone else to replace your wife while she hopes to get a job elsewhere.

What does it matter if the end result was that she is now employed? And the next person they hire to replace her will have the same benefits that my wife has had, with the JobBridge experience contributing to them getting employed in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

She was hired for an internship, which was a similar role, but not exactly the same as the JobBridge role. The JobBridge internship didn't work out. The company with whom she had the JobBridge internship wanted someone with more experience than her - she's only starting out in her career, whereas they wanted someone with a bit more experience who could work on their own without their work having to be checked by the two partners all the time.

Anyway the JobBridge experience contributed to her current situation, which is that she is now employed, so in the end the JobBridge helped her got employed.

What does it matter if the end result was that she is now employed? And the next person they hire to replace her will have the same benefits that my wife has had, with the JobBridge experience contributing to them getting employed in the long run.

She should of been kept on by the company that she did the original Jobbridge with if she got great benefits out of it, not have the company just take on more free labor after she finished her internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Isn't the entire point of an internship to give someone experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The JobBridge internship didn't work out. The company with whom she had the JobBridge internship wanted someone with more experience than her - she's only starting out in her career, whereas they wanted someone with a bit more experience who could work on their own without their work having to be checked by the two partners all the time.

So the company were not too bothered by the fact that the point of a JobBridge 'internship' is supposed to be that the employee gains experience to make their chances of getting a real job better?

What your saying makes absolutely no sense at all. If 9 months wasn't enough to get her experience for the role than why was she hired in the first place. If they wanted somebody with more experience why did they not hire somebody while she was still working their. It is an excuse for them not to offer her a full time job. All that is going to happen is they will hire somebody else for free like your wife for 9 months and do the same to that person.

Also fair play to your wife i am glad it worked out but not everybody walks into a job after a scheme. I was on a scheme working in an office learning about payroll. I have a 4 year finance degree and done a 6 month payroll course. 2 months into the internship i had made about 400 cups of tea answered about 400 phone calls and spend about 6 hours doing something finance related. Even working out percentages on a calculator they were double checking when a child could do the things. Luckily i got a part time job up to Christmas and could get out of their. I was hired for a finance position but in all fact all i was their was to be a secretary for 9 months gaining no experience worthwhile to me. If i stayed their 9 months i would have been no better prepared for a real paying job doing payroll. From people i know and story's i have read their are some success stories but they are very much in the minority. It worked out for your wife fair play but she is very much in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Also if an employee leaves voluntarily, welfare will contact the employer for their side of the story. Welfare always side with the employer, every time. If you question this they will come back with "The employer has no reason to lie, you have every reason."
    Result is a 9 week disqualification every time.

It is a rotten system.

I left one in Summer 2012 and was not given any disqualification, went right back to the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

College sent out an email to tell us about a two job opportunities. 1 of which is telling us they have internships available on job bridge. Hopefully they will change the rules to allow graduates to go straight onto the scheme soon. The government could claim that no graduates go on social welfare after they graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

College sent out an email to tell us about a two job opportunities. 1 of which is telling us they have internships available on job bridge. Hopefully they will change the rules to allow graduates to go straight onto the scheme soon. The government could claim that no graduates go on social welfare after they graduate.

Are you serious? Have you read this thread at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Based in NENAGH TOWN Ref. INTE-808622
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in maintaining school grounds, gardening, painting. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following upkeep of maintenance of school grounds to include gardening, painting, upkeep of school inside and out. On completion the intern will have attained skills in gardening, maintenance of school rooms.

Skills Requirements
    Reliable, Trustworthy, Fleixble, Patient, Punctual. Applicants must supply suitable character references and be prepared to complete a Garda vetting form.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department
    Department of Education

Mentor
    The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Duration
    9 Months

Number of Positions

Contract Type
    Other

Days, Hours & Start Date
    Days per week: To be Advised
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 30
    Start Date: TBC

Experience Required:
    No Experience Required

There was another internship a few days ago looking for an intern for window cleaning. Trying to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

An internship to be a caretaker?!?!?!?

What the... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Chris___ wrote: »
    There was another internship a few days ago looking for an intern for window cleaning. Trying to find it

Yeah I know someone who works in a primary school and they get in people on Jobbridge to do jobs like clean toilets and stuff the teachers don't want to do. It can be quite demeaning.

Advertisement