Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

An internship to be a caretaker?!?!?!?

What the... :rolleyes:

Been quite a few of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Anyone know who provides the mentoring for these caretaker roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No Pants wrote: »

Mr / Mrs Mop and Bucket....

No Pants wrote: »

Would be the school principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

gozunda wrote: »
    This government have ensured that there is an overall bias towards employer veracity. Employment law is a joke.

Take the example of an employer who fails or refuses to submit a p45 to the revenue on the cessation of an employees employment.

Do the revenue prosecute - no
    Is their a dedicated place to make a complaint - no

Am employer can completely fx up a persons tax record, prevent then accessing social welfare benefit etc by this one simple nasty 'oversight'

The other bizarre situation is the role that employers enjoy with social welfare as effective agents for welfare and the common practice of more senior social welfare personnel being 'awarded' directorships of companies.

Where is the separation of powers in this model? The whole system is geared towards the employer and unfortunately the employee frequently gets shafted. Outside public sector employment the unions are a joke with senior officials again accepting positions on the boards of companies.

As for employment law - it is no more than useless unless you have thousands to spend on proper legal representation and even then an employee chances are stacked against them by vested interest and a burden of proof that is nearly impossible for any single employee to shoulder.

This government has made a nation of slaves out of those unlucky enough to be employed by unscrupulous employers. And with the government supporting such employers and offering slave labour with virtually no employment rights - what exactly is any employee being treated inequitably supposed to do?

As has been suggested to many posters on here by government officials - leave this corrupt little country for what it is... Bankrupt both morally and fiscally.

That is very very true. While there are many good employers out there too who are honest and fair treating their employees kind, there are also many bad employers who treat their employees like dirt. Schemes like Jobbridge are a gift to such poor employers. They can really take advantage of it.

One of the worst and most high profile offenders was Bill Cullen. He infamously said employees should work for nothing to gain skills and stuff like this many a time. The fact that he gets so much airtime from that idiot Tubridy is unhelpful. However, things did not work out all that well for him and that last time he was on the Tubridy Show he was a very quiet and docile man compared to what he was! What goes around, comes around.

I think that at this stage there's no doubt that the entire scheme is a huge failure and does little more than exploit people. That so many people are being forced to take up internships as window cleaners, shelf stockers, etc just makes a mockery of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that at this stage there's no doubt that the entire scheme is a huge failure and does little more than exploit people. That so many people are being forced to take up internships as window cleaners, shelf stockers, etc just makes a mockery of it all

But it keeps down the dole figures and makes the Government look good in Europe.

It will be interesting to see what happens come July, the first wave of people who are on their second 9 month slave bridge will be finished then. Was sickened to hear a fella today saying that the scheme saved his business, and by exploiting the scheme he saved his existing staffs jobs, he is on his 7th intern now, has not kept any on as he reckons he cannot afford it, he was clueless to the hardship this will of caused the intern and was speaking about them as if they were not real people, just objects.

Xenji wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what happens come July, the first wave of people who are on their second 9 month slave bridge will be finished then. Was sickened to hear a fella today saying that the scheme saved his business, and by exploiting the scheme he saved his existing staffs jobs, he is on his 7th intern now, has not kept any on as he reckons he cannot afford it, he was clueless to the hardship this will of caused the intern and was speaking about them as if they were not real people, just objects.

That is scandalous.
    Of couse IBEC and ISME are very quiet about this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Any chance of reporting this creep?

That is scandalous.
    Of couse IBEC and ISME are very quiet about this sort of thing.

I have mentioned it before, but they have sent out memos in the past lauding the scheme and basically telling members how to exploit it.

I have mentioned it before, but they have sent out memos in the past lauding the scheme and basically telling members how to exploit it.

Shows them up for what they are. Profiteers entirely.

Any chance of reporting this creep?

You would love to, but the problem is, he is not breaking any rules, this is the worst thing about the scheme, it is all geared towards the employer and not the intern. With the cooling off period gone, any employer can hire a new intern straight away and does not have to wait the 3 months, how is a person meant to get a job out of this when it is now just a revolving door of slave labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Crazy...basically the government are subsidising his business to the tune of nearly e60K and possibly stopping another business from opening in its place if its a viable sector, just delaying inevitable for him is all they are.

they shud have let it fail to f**k. tbh....and I don't suppose dat ''businessman'' have any shame either...sure if he cant survive without free labour he shouldn't be running atal.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

he was clueless to the hardship this will of caused the intern and was speaking about them as if they were not real people, just objects.

I've seen plenty of people like the above; they think by simply taking you on that they've done you a massive service.

They're also the type who will spin some ridiculous tripe about you not fully taking the opportunity by the horns and thus why you weren't offered a job. You didn't wow me enough!! Well I forgot this was the ****ing X Factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Just up today, there will be a rush for this internship.

Cleaning Operative

"The intern will gain practical experience in All aspects of external cleaning The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following use of power washing equipment,use of M.E.W.P. equipment(Mobile Elevated Work Platforms) ,health and safety procedures, window and roof cleaning etc. On completion the intern will have attained skills in all aspects on Domestic and Commercial cleaning"

40 hours per week

Denis O Regan, Cork Gutter and Cleaning Services,Dunkereen, Innishannon, Co Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You treat it like a normal job but they expect too much of you for not much in return!

"Slave required for house cleaning".

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

I completed a nine month jobbridge internship last year, does that mean I am ineligible to do another internship, or is there any way around it?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I completed a nine month jobbridge internship last year, does that mean I am ineligible to do another internship, or is there any way around it?

Thanks
    If it was your first one you can do a second one I think. Would you put yourself through it again though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Finished my internship in November. Asked the boss what the story was...was I being kept on etc. Was handed a 1 year contract before Christmas with substantial raise.

It worked for me

* I had no qualifications or experience in current position when starting

IK09 wrote: »
    Finished my internship in November. Asked the boss what the story was...was I being kept on etc. Was handed a 1 year contract before Christmas with substantial raise.

It worked for me

Great to hear some success stories, pity they are so few and far between, I think in the whole thread we have yet to crack over 10 people being kept on.

Thanks

As soon as your 9 months are up and you are not kept on, you are eligible to do another 9 months straight away, but not with the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Sounds like you were one of the few who gained a positive thing from JobsBridge. But may I ask, what field of work are you in?

I highly doubt you did a internship in packing shelves. Which is the real scandal about JobsBridge. The type of jobs that should never have an internship :pac:

I am working in the Environmental Field. Did an internship with Teagasc and I now have permanent employment with an Environmental Consultancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

IK09 wrote: »

It worked for me

great stuff, your one of the very few lucky ones, best of luck to you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

I can only imagine that it is a pretty skilled job. Better suited to this than the caretaker or car valeting positions out there
    This was a proper job a few yrs ago, training was done on the job..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

denlaw wrote: »
    This was a proper job a few yrs ago, training was done on the job..
    It was a well paid job too as it was so ****ty.

Advertisement