Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Did a jobsbridge at butlers chocolates (head office), autumn of 2012, they wanted an intern, but didn't have any real jobs to be done, so i was doing oddjobs all around the office. Left after a few months. They had gone through 2 or 3 interns before me.... i doubt they had a job waiting at the end.

Got another private internship during the summer, 3 months unpaid (got benefits, free bus tickets, 10e for lunch each day), got a position at the end with 18k a year salary, won't complain much as it's getting me through college during the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

It was a well paid job too as it was so ****ty.
    true, i go weak if i scratch myself:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've often come across places that offered jobbridges in the past that have since gone bust or have let staff go, you wonder what is really going on??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I am working in the Environmental Field. Did an internship with Teagasc and I now have permanent employment with an Environmental Consultancy.

It's all lies thats Michael Noonan sock puppeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think I posted this before but the place I worked in last year had two of us and the owner. I was last in so obviously all the hours, the more senior girl got preference and some weeks I would be not called in at all (despite supposed to have at least three days a week) and other times she would call with maybe two hours notice. Once I wasn't available to come to work as I had a hair appointment made prior, she gave me notice the night before that I was in the next day. Said I can't, sorry. She gave me a complete bollocking for not being flexible and told me not to make any future appointments during the week in case I was needed.

Anyway, I eventually left that job as i got no hours in three weeks, and she was stuck for staff this one day, rang me up I said no sorry I'm not coming back to work, so she wrote me an email threatening me that she would contact the social welfare and tell them I refused work when there was work there for me, and said they'd written to her to ask her what my hours were like. I knew straight away this was a lie as I had never been on social welfare.

Was stalking her page on Facebook a while later and she had my replacement advertised on it as a jobsbridge job. I'm sure they learned a lot cleaning and washing stones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

IK09 wrote: »
    Finished my internship in November. Asked the boss what the story was...was I being kept on etc. Was handed a 1 year contract before Christmas with substantial raise.

It worked for me

* I had no qualifications or experience in current position when starting

Did you need 9 months being paid the dole + €50 to be a worthwhile employee or could you have been taken on and learned it as a normal employee like they would have had to do before job bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Did you need 9 months being paid the dole + €50 to be a worthwhile employee or could you have been taken on and learned it as a normal employee like they would have had to do before job bridge?

The more pertinent question is whether the company would have taken on an employee? For a small company, in an uncertain economic environment, likely not. A fully salaried employee who is not productive for a period may not be afforbable. The company might not be in a position to take the risk of hiring someone, it not proving cost effective, and then having potential issues & expenses incurred in letting them go.

So the likely alternative in that scenario is that there is no job at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think I posted this before but the place I worked in last year had two of us and the owner. I was last in so obviously all the hours, the more senior girl got preference and some weeks I would be not called in at all (despite supposed to have at least three days a week) and other times she would call with maybe two hours notice. Once I wasn't available to come to work as I had a hair appointment made prior, she gave me notice the night before that I was in the next day. Said I can't, sorry. She gave me a complete bollocking for not being flexible and told me not to make any future appointments during the week in case I was needed.

Anyway, I eventually left that job as i got no hours in three weeks, and she was stuck for staff this one day, rang me up I said no sorry I'm not coming back to work, so she wrote me an email threatening me that she would contact the social welfare and tell them I refused work when there was work there for me, and said they'd written to her to ask her what my hours were like. I knew straight away this was a lie as I had never been on social welfare.

Was stalking her page on Facebook a while later and she had my replacement advertised on it as a jobsbridge job. I'm sure they learned a lot cleaning and washing stones!

She could not do a thing to you anyway, if the social did their job right and checked up on people monthly like they are supposed to do and not just the month you are due to leave, they would of cancelled the Jobbridge as you are meant to be working a minimum of 30 hours a week and it is not meant to the part time either, you have grounds to report her, as for once somebody is blatantly breaking the rules. This is unlike others who just use the revolving door system and have no intention of ever hiring an intern full time and are exploiting the system, as this is perfectly legal under the rules of Jobbridge, go figure eh.

Xenji wrote: »
    She could not do a thing to you anyway, if the social did their job right and checked up on people monthly like they are supposed to do and not just the month you are due to leave, they would of cancelled the Jobbridge as you are meant to be working a minimum of 30 hours a week and it is not meant to the part time either, you have grounds to report her, as for once somebody is blatantly breaking the rules. This is unlike others who just use the revolving door system and have no intention of ever hiring an intern full time and are exploiting the system, as this is perfectly legal under the rules of Jobbridge, go figure eh.

Oh no I was the last person to have it as a "paying" job and then she filled it with an internship with jobs bridge, so my replacement is there for free. No doubt getting treated like crap

Oh no I was the last person to have it as a "paying" job and then she filled it with an internship with jobs bridge, so my replacement is there for free. No doubt getting treated like crap

Sorry read that wrong, so you were on the x's and o's then for the 3 day week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

It seems alot of these vacancies are filled in the public service to counter for the woman who has the handy number who decides to fire out another child ???????

This is a fact !!!!!!!!!!

It seems alot of these vacancies are filled in the public service to counter for the woman who has the handy number who decides to fire out another child ???????

Not just for maternity, it is also to fill vacancies for people who have retired, immigrated, left the job or just have been redeployed. You have a moratorium on hiring that is due to end at the end of this year, but it is likely to be extended again, we have had over 100 interns in our council and have another 3 starting next week to replace the 3 that our leaving in our department, none of which will ever or have been kept on. It is very disheartening seeing these people come and go, the majority of them would walk into the job they are so skilled and have a great attitude, it is not like we have nothing to do, we are incredibly short staffed.

Sorry read that wrong, so you were on the x's and o's then for the 3 day week.

No, she obviously assumed I was. I have never been on social welfare but she told me that the social had written to her asking about my hours, the week before and if I did not go back to work, then she would contact the social welfare and tell them I was refusing to work hours when there was work there, available for me and basically threatened me that if I didn't go back to work (hadnt got any hours in almost a month) to cover for the other girl, the social welfare would take money off me for refusing work.

Joke was on her though, considering I didn't care what she told the social welfare as I wasn't asking them for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

If it's a "fact", provide some evidence, i.e. advertisement from Jobbridge website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I can see that by the well researched statistics you've presented.

If it's a "fact", provide some evidence, i.e. advertisement from Jobbridge website.

Read my post about 2 up, it has been happening since day one of the scheme, but not just with maternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Far Q Boss

Are County Council positions any good or should they be avoided? I know there's an embargo on hiring there at the moment, but maybe that will be lifted this year? So if I did an internship with a co.co maybe there'd be a job at the end of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jobbridge & CE schemes have & are still being used to get around the embargo in recruitment in the Health Service & Local Authorities,rather than addressing the problem of a shortage of qualified staff they offer internships or set some up on CE schemes.There's no prospect of a long term position due to the embargo's on hiring so it's been a constant stream of interns,CE workers to fill the gaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

I can see that by the well researched statistics you've presented.

Statistics are just lies that are organised

SPSS 10

Far Q Boss wrote: »
    Are County Council positions any good or should they be avoided? I know there's an embargo on hiring there at the moment, but maybe that will be lifted this year? So if I did an internship with a co.co maybe there'd be a job at the end of it?

Nope, you will not get anything, like I posted on the other page, we have had over 100 interns since the scheme started and are getting 3 more in next week, even if the moratorium does end, every job has to be offered on a interview basis, so they cannot just keep you on, they have to advertise the jobs to everyone or convene a committee. Plus you might not of been better than the 100 interns that came before you and if they have not found employment you can guarantee they will try for the jobs as well. The experience you get will stand to you though, it always looks good on a CV that you worked with a council, but do not take the internship thinking your guaranteed a job at the end of it.

• Advertisement

Far Q Boss wrote: »

See my post above.Plus with LA's there'll be a recruitment process where you'd have to go through a couple of interviews to even make it onto a panel from which workers might be recruited (unless those with friends on high get the jobs first)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No, she obviously assumed I was. I have never been on social welfare but she told me that the social had written to her asking about my hours, the week before and if I did not go back to work, then she would contact the social welfare and tell them I was refusing to work hours when there was work there, available for me and basically threatened me that if I didn't go back to work (hadnt got any hours in almost a month) to cover for the other girl, the social welfare would take money off me for refusing work.

Joke was on her though, considering I didn't care what she told the social welfare as I wasn't asking them for anything

You turned down work for a hair appointment ! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Statistics are just lies that are organised

SPSS 10

Unless they support your point.

Unless they support your point.
    Not just for maternity, it is also to fill vacancies for people who have retired, immigrated, left the job or just have been redeployed.

From first hand experience and mentoring interns in a county council, this does happen and the interns fill all the above situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The Co Council are pretty strict to be honest and its been mostly jobbridge positions I've seen and they seem to only want to stick with those that are jobbridge positions for the time being. Only government embargo let up is the garda recruitment. Not sure if will be the case for other areas of the civil/public service. This embargo was to been lifted after three years but it hasn't or its restrictive in employing temp staff and not taking on permanent staff.

doovdela wrote: »
    The Co Council are pretty strict to be honest and its been mostly jobbridge positions I've seen and they seem to only want to stick with those that are jobbridge positions for the time being. Only government embargo let up is the garda recruitment. Not sure if will be the case for other areas of the civil/public service. This embargo was to been lifted after three years but it hasn't or its restrictive in employing temp staff and not taking on permanent staff.

It is meant to be lifted on the 31st of December 2014, but from rumblings I have heard it will be extended again, but of course that could all change, you are able to hire staff if you need somebody that is really specialized and then you have to make a request to the government to be able to do it.

It is meant to be lifted on the 31st of December 2014, but from rumblings I have heard it will be extended again, but of course that could all change, you are able to hire staff if you need somebody that is really specialized and then you have to make a request to the government to be able to do it.

Wexford Co.Co. had a recent recruitment drive,maximum contracts were 2 years,most are short term ones of 6 month averages with options to extend if funding for wages is available.

zerks wrote: »
    Wexford Co.Co. had a recent recruitment drive,maximum contracts were 2 years,most are short term ones of 6 month averages with options to extend if funding for wages is available.

Would love if we had that here, would take a lot of the strain and stress off of us, but anytime it is brought up we get the moratorium line and intern line, it is not like we would not have people jumping at the chance to get these jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nazzu

Was listening to the Today FM news there and for the first time that I can remember it was stated that people on Jobbridge, CE schemes ect... are not included in the live register figure, we all knew that was the case, but was surprised to actually hear it stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The more pertinent question is whether the company would have taken on an employee? For a small company, in an uncertain economic environment, likely not. A fully salaried employee who is not productive for a period may not be afforbable. The company might not be in a position to take the risk of hiring someone, it not proving cost effective, and then having potential issues & expenses incurred in letting them go.

So the likely alternative in that scenario is that there is no job at all

if they have now taken on an employee then there is a job. I doubt there wasn't plenty of people qualified to do it even if the person that got it through job bridge wasn't that person. All that has happened is the company have managed to avoid paying the person for the first 9 months. It artificially propping up a private business, possibly to the detriment of a rival company that doesn't get free labour. The government has basically given the company a grant of €13,500 ( if it's a min wage job, more depending on what the job pays).

Advertisement