Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I will be doing no business with Advance Pitstop after reading that.

It's implied they do their best to make out they will instantly cut you off. Were in actual fact it's very hard for them to cut your money. Well unless you miss your sign on day. People need to really turn down suggested internships if it's in their field and their already qualified to do it as that's just free labour. There supposed to train you in a field. If your qualified to do it then it’s a job not an internship
    Surely, you are not sent on these Internships? Do you not have to apply? Am I misunderstanding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Removals assistant

The intern will gain practical experience in all aspects of the removals and storage industry. The intern will also gain the theoretical knowledge required to do this. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following wrapping and packing household and office furniture and effects. They will also be advanced to handle antiques , fine art and trained in their transportation. On completion the intern will have attained skills in packing furniture for transit, the professional storage of household goods and fine art and antique handling and transport.

9 months.

info@gibbonsremovals.com if you are interested!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Surely, you are not sent on these Internships? Do you not have to apply? Am I misunderstanding it?

You get sent to a Fas advisor who's first idea is hey try this it's in your field, Not cooperating with them advisors is seen as not participating in looking for work then that's were the threat lies. Not actively looking for work/seeking training/accepting training offers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Meanwhile the Golden Circle get richer and 85 million is paid to "consultants" in Irish Water without questions being asked by Phil Hogan.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

You get sent to a Fas advisor who's first idea is hey try this it's in your field, Not cooperating with them advisors is seen as not participating in looking for work then that's were the threat lies. Not actively looking for work/seeking training/accepting training offers

Do ANYONE on here have actual proof that people are being MADE do jobs totally unsuitable to them? I'm having trouble getting my head around this. There are so many schemes! I thought the only ones you had to attend interviews for were for either TUS or FAS Schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have to say those comments on the Advance Pitstop facebook page are making for highly entertaining reading. Public relations fail!

SeaFields wrote: »
    I have to say those comments on the Advance Pitstop facebook page are making for highly entertaining reading. Public relations fail!

Massive fail. Did they not learn from the Tesco shelf-stacker fiasco? :P

Am enjoying reading them myself. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

how can anyone give out about the differfent companies using jobbridge? blame the government if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Blame the Government yes. But the companies are no better.

Both are to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

how can anyone give out about the differfent companies using jobbridge? blame the government if you want

The major problem I see is that now to be competitive with unscrupulous employers companies feel they have to take on interns... Everyone is losing. not saying there is not a huge amount of abuse in the first place just some companies will have to take on interns.

Everyone is at it. You only have to go to jobbridge.ie to see the once paid jobs that are now being palmed off as internships.

Advance Pitstop protest organised

https://www.facebook.com/events/356992604441494/

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

A lab colleague of mine spotted this farce this afternoon.

http://goo.gl/BTj8sj

A minimum of a Ph.D in synthetic chemistry needed. I'm in the midst of a Ph.D at the moment. "Job" listings like that make a mockery of the system.

The government are trying very hard to increase the brain drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

Mars Bar wrote: »
    And the ****ing CE scheme is as bad as it. You have to be a traveller of 18 years or older or 25 years old if you're not a traveller.

Saw my ideal job opportunity on the FAS website and they wouldn't accept me (I turned 24 yesterday).
    ****ing livid I was.

.... become a traveller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

A case officer will notify a Deciding Officer non engagement with the National Employment and Activation Programme. In other words, not making suitable efforts to upskill or gain employment. Jobbridge is not one of these. The idea of Jobbridge is simply to give people a chance to gain experience or massage the unemployment figures, whatever way you want to look at it. The point is, its not a stick to beat anyone with in order to cut their dole. Tús and other schemes, yes, but not Jobbridge.

If somebody is suggesting otherwise, then they are misinformed. Nobody is obliged to take an internship on Jobbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

A lab colleague of mine spotted this farce this afternoon.

http://goo.gl/BTj8sj

A minimum of a Ph.D in synthetic chemistry needed. I'm in the midst of a Ph.D at the moment. "Job" listings like that make a mockery of the system.

The government are trying very hard to increase the brain drain.

Launch DoS Spambots @ that @rsehole.

Internship for a doctor of Synthetic Chemistry.......really ??????:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Well done to Liam Campions Thurles A PAID TRAINEE POSITION WITH A CRAFT BUTCHERS
    Butcher - Trainee Position

Next » Back to Search ResultsPrint this Page
    Created on: 15/01/2014 | Updated on: 15/01/2014 | Displayed until 15/02/2014 29 days from now

Based in THURLES TOWN Ref. JOB-819765
    Description
    Person required to train as a butcher for established business in Thurles, Co Tipperary. Ideal candidate will be interested in training as a butcher. Position involved cutting meat, preparation of meat and food displays and dealing with customers. Applicants should be interested in learning this trade and enjoy dealing with the public as customer service is a very important part of our service. Fluent English both written and spoken.

Salary: €To be Advised
    Number of Positions

Contract Type
    Permanent

Days, Hours & Start Date
    Days per week: Not specified
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 39
    Start Date: Immediate

Experience Required:
    No Experience Required

Meanwhile a pub in Dungarvan is looking for bar staff for free

« Previous | Next » Back to Search Results Intern Eligibility Follow us on Twitter Print this Page
    Created on: 20/12/2013 | Updated on: 20/12/2013 | Displayed until 20/02/2014 34 days from now

Based in DUNGARVAN Ref. INTE-815435
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in managing a busy bar, dealing with customers, handling cash, and maintenance of bar area. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following stock-taking, organising events, bar training. On completion the intern will have attained skills in dealing with customers, managing a team, stock-taking, assisting with supervision of staff.

Skills Requirements
    A person able to deal with the public. Be good at time keeping be ambitious and want to work.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department
    Kielys Bar

Mentor
    The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Maurice Kiely

Duration
    9 Months

Number of Positions

Contract Type
    Other

Days, Hours & Start Date
    Days per week: To be Advised
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 40
    Start Date: TBC

Experience Required:
    No Experience Required
    Education Requirements:
    Junior Certificate - Junior Certificate Ordinary or equivalent.

• Advertisement

Was going to use this voucher (see attachment) but since I found out Advanced tyres were using jobbridge I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

deccurley wrote: »
    A case officer will notify a Deciding Officer non engagement with the National Employment and Activation Programme. In other words, not making suitable efforts to upskill or gain employment. Jobbridge is not one of these. The idea of Jobbridge is simply to give people a chance to gain experience or massage the unemployment figures, whatever way you want to look at it. The point is, its not a stick to beat anyone with in order to cut their dole. Tús and other schemes, yes, but not Jobbridge.

If somebody is suggesting otherwise, then they are misinformed. Nobody is obliged to take an internship on Jobbridge.

That's the official word, yes. But as has been brought up numerous times in this thread, people are being pressured into it. It's supposed to be voluntary but a friend of mine (Who was working and in college all her life until her firm closed down) signed onto the dole last year for the first time in her life, and was repeatedly offered JobBridge internships that had absolutely nothing to do with what she studied, and when she declined she was told she wasn't making enough effort and would have to take one because there were "no other options for her". She said she felt under extreme pressure and wasn't once offered a FAS course. She found work though, fortunately for her.

Remember the Sellafield postcard campaign http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/migration/img_up/up_2/2583_1.JPG.

Someone should launch a Jobbridge postcard campaign to Joan Burtons/Richard Brutons constituency offices and the offices of the DSP/DJEI. They probably wont even read them but it will get a lot of media attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Advance Pitstop have deleted all the comments on their facebook statement about their use of the scheme.

And I was looking forward to reading them this morning too :(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What do you think would improve job bridge, I don't agree with job bridge as it is at the moment, however as I said in a different forum, how do suggest that someone with no experiences, a weak leaving cert or weak fetac results, from an area of high unemployment, no social capital ( also know as contact in the world of work ) get some sort of experience to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

mariaalice wrote: »
    What do you think would improve job bridge, I don't agree with job bridge as it is at the moment, however as I said in a different forum, how do suggest that someone with no experiences, a weak leaving cert or week fetac results, from an area of high unemployment, no social capital ( also know as contact in the world of work ) get some sort of experience to get a job.

As a concept, I agree with Jobbridge as an effective way for the people that you describe get contacts and experience.

The issue is the poor policing of the programme, in that large employers are replacing salaried staff with interns and putting jobs out there which do not teach the intern any kind of valuable skill. If that were tightened up, then the scheme would be a meaningful one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

However, you get two distinct type of people complaining about jobs bridge, one saying that there should be no entry level jobs on job bridge I.e the type of jobs that would help weaker candidate's get a job and on the other had you get people complaining that their should no professional jobs on jobs bridge either. I think it should be renamed work experience and asking for experience should be strictly outlawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The ad on FAS for the car washing intern can't be accessed now.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Daith

mariaalice wrote: »
    However, you get two distinct type of people complaining about jobs bridge, one saying that there should be no entry level jobs on job bridge I.e the type of jobs that would help weaker candidate's get a job and on the other had you get people complaining that their should no professional jobs on jobs bridge either. I think it should be renamed work experience and asking for experience should be strictly outlawed.

There shouldn't be any "jobs" on this scheme. Every politician will say that they are not jobs and only there to gain experience. Hence why you are still claiming social welfare.

The problem is with the companies who are using these schemes to replace actual jobs.

Advertisement