Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I came accross this yesterday

Advance Pitstop basically employing for virtually all of their outlets via Scambridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Is there anyone without access to a smartphone these days? You'd get proof pretty easily.

AFAIK, I think it's illegal to record people without their permission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wouldn't be any security cameras around if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Wouldn't be any security cameras around if that was the case.
    I mean by people, not businesses, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nope - you need the permission of one of the 2 parties. Since you are one of the parties you can give your own permission. You aren't using it in a court of law anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Friend who worked a 40 hour week for a logistics company based in Ballymount has had his and other workers hours cut to 28 a week even though the company posted profits last year. The kicker is they hired four jobbridge "employees" a month after their hours went down. Spoke to him last week and he's distraught as he cant meet the mortgage repayments now. Looks like he'll have to join the dole queue also as they aren't entitled to family income supplement.

mariaalice wrote: »
    While every one gives out about jobs bridge, there are very few detailed though out replies saying exactly how it could be improved.

If it was renamed work experience would that make a difference, and if work experience consisted of job shadowing that would not work, because who would be have someone hanging around shadowing someone and what adult would be spend 9 months watching someone doing a job and not doing it themselves.

It is a difficult conundrum to crack the more restrictive you make it the less employers will take part. Human nature being what it is there are some employers that are taking advantage, but most are not.

It is a much bigger problem that jobs bridge alone.

The scheme should be scraped if it isn't working as it should which it isn't. Businesses are about profit and profit alone so it should come as no surprise they ride the jobbridge horse as far as they can. Jobsbridge in it's present format is enabling employers to take advantage of the race to the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Friend who worked a 40 hour week for a logistics company based in Ballymount has had his and other workers hours cut to 28 a week even though the company posted profits last year. The kicker is they hired four jobbridge "employees" a month after their hours went down. Spoke to him last week and he's distraught as he cant meet the mortgage repayments now. Looks like he'll have to join the dole queue also as they aren't entitled to family income supplement.

Tell him to report them to jobbridge as that isn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That a good point why are people not reporting company's like that instead of just moaning about it, companies have been bared from taking job bridge candidate's before after people complained about them.

Daith wrote: »
    The same way they did before Job Bridge only they'll be on minimum wage at least.

That not true, people from certain back ground and areas of high unemployment, with weak academic skill an no social capital and contacts in he world of work often went straight on to welfare after school and went from social welfare to fas to social welfare with out ever having a job, jobs bridge was suppose to be part of a jobs help, to prevent certain groups ending up on welfare for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

This is the stuff that makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

From being a mentor for the last two years or so with interns, you will find that everything is geared towards the employer and not the intern, interns really do not have a leg to stand on, technically that company is not breaking any rules unless they sacked 4 staff members and brought in interns to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

As someone who is on jobbridge, I believe it is a scam but also feel I have no choice if i want to get some experience. My bosses make me do all the crap work they dont want to do and i haven't learned one thing. They said I'd get great experience in certain software packages and client interaction etc but honestly you could teach these things to a monkey. I'm here because I'm free and it saves anyone else having to do the grunt work. As long as this system is in place employers will abuse it, why wouldn't they?
    Some days are really tough and I think 'what's the point in staying but i guess its mainly because right now I don't see a much better alternative. Only a couple of months left to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

To improve JobBridge -

1. Internships should be a maximum of 3 months. 6 months for special, approved cases.

2. When advertising an internship, company must list, in detail, what skills they will learn and what duties and hours will be expected of the intern.

3. An officer should visit the company first and take notes of existing staff levels and assess whether or not the company can afford to hire an intern after the internship ends.

4. Intern receives their full dole + €200 from the employer p/w.

5. Interns are required to fill out a review of the company and what they are learning on a monthly basis.

6. Company reviews intern monthly to assess their progress and suitability to the job.

7. Company must explain in detail to the intern, witnessed by an officer, why they are not being hired (If that's the case)

8. If a company doesn't hire anyone after 3 interns, company is suspended from using JobBridge pending reassessment.

9. If a company is found to be in breach of any of the rules, they will be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Daith

That not true, people from certain back ground and areas of high unemployment, with weak academic skill an no social capital and contacts in he world of work often went straight on to welfare after school and went from social welfare to fas to social welfare with out ever having a job, jobs bridge was suppose to be part of a jobs help, to prevent certain groups ending up on welfare for life.

Great now everyone is in the same boat. You can be a PHD student from Foxrock and still might have to take up a Job Bridge internship.

Also, if you're on a Job Bridge, you are still on welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Interesting points Rawn.

On the subject of it, companies should be paying internships a few quid. I'd have no problem doing an internship if it brought me up to min wage on 40 hours per week (€346 before tax)

Person gets €188 from SW + €50 from government on internship. So is it asking too much that the company pays €100?!

That was never the intention of the scheme, it was originally meant to give 3rd level graduates a chance to gain valuable experience in the workplace of their chosen profession after they finished their degree, it ended up mutating into what it is now when people figured out how they could exploit it.

Interesting points Rawn.

On the subject of it, companies should be paying internships a few quid. I'd have no problem doing an internship if it brought me up to min wage on 40 hours per week (€346 before tax)

Person gets €188 from SW + €50 from government on internship. So is it asking too much that the company pays €100?!

They have it written in the rules that the host company is not allowed to pay the intern any extra money, although a friend of mine was getting an extra €50 a week for the company he was with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

jobs bridge was suppose to be part of a jobs help, to prevent certain groups ending up on welfare for life.

Yes I'm sure the prospect of an extra €50 a week before travel expenses etc. would certainly motivate the kind of welfare recipient you're talking about to sign up for JobBridge.

• Advertisement

Yes I'm sure the prospect of an extra €50 a week before travel expenses etc. would certainly motivate the kind of welfare recipient you're talking about to sign up for JobBridge.

Nobody know what someone else will do, but I would say if you were getting a 100 a week as a young person on social welfare the extra 50 would be a big incentive to take a jobs bridge position.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nobody know what someone else will do, but I would say if you were getting a 100 a week as a young person on social welfare the extra 50 would be a big incentive to take a jobs bridge position.

Not really when they have to pay to get themselves to and from work and buy lunches etc.

Having a job can easily cost €50 a week. But that €50 a week is a cost you factor in when your being paid.

I don't agree with Jobbridge, however if someone with no qualification, and no experience, and no hope of getting paid work, turns down 50 euro on top of their social welfare to get work experience they are being silly.

I don't agree with Jobbridge, however if someone with no qualification, and no experience, and no hope of getting paid work, turns down 50 euro on top of their social welfare to get work experience they are being silly.

They would only be silly if they stood to gain something from the internship, you could not call them silly if they turn down something like housekeeping, washing cars, photocopier assistant and the numerous other ridiculous internships we have seen posted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

While every one gives out about jobs bridge, there are very few detailed though out replies saying exactly how it could be improved.

If it was renamed work experience would that make a difference, and if work experience consisted of job shadowing that would not work, because who would be have someone hanging around shadowing someone and what adult would be spend 9 months watching someone doing a job and not doing it themselves.

It is a difficult conundrum to crack the more restrictive you make it the less employers will take part. Human nature being what it is there are some employers that are taking advantage, but most are not.

It is a much bigger problem that jobs bridge alone.
    Job Bridge would work if it was up to the interns to secure a position. This would hugely cut down on the number of companies taking the p!ss and would mean that people aren't being forced onto unsuitable schemes just to get them off the live register.
    If you crack down on services role or manual labour roles, how is the weak candidate with no academic skills, or no work experience, and no contacts in the working environment going to get some experience.
    Traditionally, the academic world has internships and the manual world has apprenticeships. Candidates on either scheme would get a low wage and in return they would get practical experience. It was a scheme that worked until the government fcuked it up and decided to give companies free labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Absolute slave labour and a convenient way for the crooked Incompetent government to mask unemployment figures.

It should be abolished

He did report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He did report them.

What was the result of reporting them?
    I bet nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

*snip* repost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/wanted-phd-grad-to-work-for-50-29924264.html

Good to know your 8 odd years of hard work is being recognized. Absolutely insulting from a multi-billion company who's also probably reaping our low corporation tax

Advertisement