Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Wompa1 wrote: »
    People were up in arms when the scheme was first proposed. Not speculating that unskilled work would be fawned off but that they would be working graduate jobs for little pay....the majority didn't want this scheme in any way, shape or form.

I don't agree with all non-skilled jobs featuring but something like 20 hours a week of bar work would be good. It's tough to get that kind of work without any experience and it's something that can be used throughout most of the world. It's not a highly paid position either but it can be a tough nut to crack

9 months to learn how to pull pints ? don't random people goto Ibiza and just get bar work with no experience

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

9 months to learn how to pull pints ? don't random people goto Ibiza and just get bar work with no experience

Random people? Who can afford to go to Ibiza and live off a starting bartenders wage :p We all know the answer of course. The same one's who go to San Diego, New York over the summer and work a part time minimum wage job and somehow manage to not only support themselves with food and shelter but also go to concerts, travel around, have nights out etc.

Imma little bitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Wompa1 wrote: »
    People were up in arms when the scheme was first proposed. Not speculating that unskilled work would be fawned off but that they would be working graduate jobs for little pay....the majority didn't want this scheme in any way, shape or form.

I don't agree with all non-skilled jobs featuring but something like 20 hours a week of bar work would be good. It's tough to get that kind of work without any experience and it's something that can be used throughout most of the world. It's not a highly paid position either but it can be a tough nut to crack

An internship is unpaid because it gives you an intro to a proper career that has potential for progression into good positions with good salary and is typically entered into after acquiring a degree in the area the company specializes in. Bartending does not fall into that category, it is a job. And you are required to do at least 39 hours on jobbridge you can't just do 20. Plenty of pubs take on work experience people for short periods already, jobbridge which is nine months, should not be used to staff pubs, that's ridiculous.

A number of people I know did one of the FAS/Solas courses in E-business and marketing. During the open day the company Cut-e did a presentation on all the great businesses that people would do a 3 month internship in. They included Hewlett Packard, banks, charities, etc. All pretty decent places all thing considered. Fast forward a few months and last Friday a number of prospective business were to come and showcase what they were offering. On the Thursday an email was sent out that no one was coming in. On the Friday they told everyone that one business would be present but they never turned up. People got phone calls from Cut-e that evening telling them that they were to interview for a job in a local Centra in the deli, a job which had up until Friday evening been advertised as a paid position with experience essential.

Just to add, was talking to my friends and it seems that the majority of people will be working in the school where they did the course. They'll be doing basic admin work and not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FF -- very little work for big money.

FG -- work like hell for no money.

For the times they are a changin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

These out of touch politicians would want to get off their high horse.

Id love to see these smart thinking Labour Td's do 9 months on a so called internship while getting the €50 while surviving on the dole.

Their attitudes towards the scheme would change.

A few years ago a lot of young people were hoping for Labour to be running the country, I wonder would they still be so supportive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

FF -- very little work for big money.

FG -- work like hell for no money.

For the times they are a changin'

Not that FG can absolve themselves of responsibility but Joan Bruton is Labour. Something to remember with local and European elections due.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

SeaFields wrote: »
    ...Joan Bruton is Labour...

Was Labour.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

aziz wrote: »

About time. Weak penalties but its definitely a move in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Two months isn't enough. It should be permantely until they can show they actually need an intern instead of being able to hire staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Why not ban them from internships altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

According to this report on The Journal under 25's may have their dole money cut if they don't accept some Jobbridge internships.

http://http://www.thejournal.ie/joan-burton-job-bridge-young-unemployed-1286867-Jan2014/

I also wonder what websites will fall under 'recommended job sites'?

According to this report on The Journal under 25's may have their dole money cut if they don't accept some Jobbridge internships.

http://http://www.thejournal.ie/joan-burton-job-bridge-young-unemployed-1286867-Jan2014/

I also wonder what websites will fall under 'recommended job sites'?

Can't see why this would happen. You apply for an internship. It's not like a TUS scheme, where you are called for an interview and offered a place. Whatever the rights or wrongs with these schemes, scaremongering in ALWAYS wrong.

Where have you seen it? Do you have actual personal experience of it?

But it's like a job interview. You just go it and if you're not suitable (it's fairly easy to mess up an interview, let's face it), you don't get it.
    I imagine it has happened as you said and I'm not defending the scheme at all (my posts in the last few pages can show that).

But when I asked about it the other day in the welfare office, I was told some of the differences between the JB scheme and the CE scheme is that on JB, the welfare have little to do with it. It's all on me if I get the JB or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How much was the dole cut by? Or have they been cut off completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's odd that the news story today is saying this will happen in the future but you know of cases where it already happened. Dole cut for not accepting an offer of Jobbridge.

Some people (newspaper language makes 1807 nearly 2000) have had their dole cut but not for refusing a Jobbridge placement. Poor journalism not to pick up on the cases you know about.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/2000-see-dole-cut-for-missing-work-schemes-233480.html

Benefits were slashed by about 23% for 1,807 jobseekers as a penalty for failing to engage with case managers, and skipping interviews and group sessions.

Of course that is from 2012 but I don't think even the Scambridge sites are making the claims that you are.

Rightly so. If they don't try something, they'll never know whether they like it or not. Or whether they'll learn something. I'm not a great fan of JobBridge, but on the other hand, I've little time for people who are not willing to give something new a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

7 months into my 9 month work placement programme (same as Jobbridge without the extra 50). I've learned all there is to know about this job.

Since there has been no job in this position before, they are making up new things for me to do as they see fit as there is no official job description. They are still trying to determine if my job role can be justified but its already apparent they do need me as i work flat out every day. I do more than 40 hours a week and still need to collect my dole every week.

I get on with my co-workers, though i do get a feeling of condescension from some as im not an employee. I leave on time though the working week in here is more than 40 hours, im asked by some ' you off, then? huh, well for some'

I cant complain because i pretty much signed up for it. The WPP scheme is even more exploitative than its counterpart. Experience is essential for getting employment but why is the work done by people in either scheme less valuable than those who are employed?

I had to get all that in writing, needed to vent. Hang in there JB and WPP peeps
    :o

Rightly so. If they don't try something, they'll never know whether they like it or not. Or whether they'll learn something. I'm not a great fan of JobBridge, but on the other hand, I've little time for people who are not willing to give something new a go.

I disagree that JB is "giving someting a go". It's giving slavery a go.
    But as for what the fella you quoted is saying, AFAIK, it's down to refusing any sort of aid, be it a JB, CE scheme or a course.

Granted, a *lot* of the FÁS courses and JB are useless in the long run but I've only heard of people having their dole cut if they refuse any help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Why should they have to give it ago, the scheme for all its mutations and bull**** is still meant to be for 3rd level graduates to get work place experience, not random people on the dole.

Xenji wrote: »
    Why should they have to give it ago, the scheme for all its mutations and bull**** is still meant to be for 3rd level graduates to get work place experience, not random people on the dole.

The annoying part is we have the CE schemes for that (which, to my knowledge are much better). But you need to be 25 or over.

Far as I know (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong): CE schemes have you off the live registar, but you only do 19.5 hours a week and the company itself pays for it into the bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Daith

I think 9 months seems a long time to commit to just trying something new though.

• Advertisement

I DO have reservations about JobBridge. Having said that, I personally know 4 people who have been on one. 2 of those got jobs out of it. One full time, the other part time. One just did her time and one left after 3 months (Without losing any of her benefit). So, thats MY experience of JobBridge. Anything that takes people off the dole and gets them into the working routine has to be good.

Advertisement