Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Aestivalis wrote: »
    There isnt even any jobsbridge crap within a 2 county radius that I qualify for :rolleyes:

If you have your Junior Cert I am sure you could get one, that level of experience is becoming more common in adverts now on the JobBridge site.

I'm honestly surprised that Jobbridge hasn't died a death yet now that people know the scam for what it is.
    There are actually plenty people who would be glad of keeping their benefit + €50 rather than take a minimum wage job. Sad, but true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If they forced people to take fully registered apprenticeships with proper training and a proper internationally recognised qualification at the end of it I'd understand, but this just leaves it open to more abuse.

Tesco, Dixons etc must be wetting themselves at the guaranteed drop in the wages bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The "employers" using the Jobbridge scheme are not worried about degrees or qualifications. It's free labour they want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

in some cases it is displacing jobs, Id say some employers would take on extra staff this way, but wouldnt if they had to pay... Do we have stats of what % of interns are hired upon completion?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    in some cases it is displacing jobs, Id say some employers would take on extra staff this way, but wouldnt if they had to pay... Do we have stats of what % of interns are hired upon completion?

They had a discussion about it on Matt Cooper's show a few months back and if you take into account people who do not complete the 6 or 9 months, the figure was less than 20%, they said that the official number is quite skewed. That figure has probably lowered again due to the fact that the employer no longer has to wait 3 months to hire a new intern if they decide not to keep the existing intern on. So basically they can hire an intern for the 9 months, not keep them on, bring in a new one the following day for 9 months and still not be breaking any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Idbatterim wrote: »

Anytime I've heard Joan Burton or others talking about it they say things like " two thirds are in employment within 6 months" . They don't seem to specify how many are with the same company or in anything to do with the same field. 50 people could do internships in a lab in a hospital then get minimum wage jobs in tesco straight after and they'd count them in the figures of people who have jobs after job bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

This post has been deleted.

"18 Months a Slave" starring a poor unfortunate dole recipient a salivating at the mouth managing director and human resource stooges...

• Advertisement

Anyone who believes that this scheme isn't displacing jobs is either an idiot or just believes everything that they're spoon fed by the government.

There are numerous companies who are letting staff go or severely cutting back on hours and getting interns in.

One of the Centra stores in galway had a sign up looking for deli staff with it starting that experience was essential. The sign was taken down one Thursday or Friday and a number of people doing a momentum course in the city were sent there for an interview on the Monday. The job that previously boasted that experience was essential no longer required it as someone involved in cut-e who the course had hired to get placements had offered Centra free employees for 3 months. It's an utter scam and the reality is that in a few years, working a full 40 hour week for €188 + €50 will be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Cloudatlas, you should forward that quote to scambridge.ie would make a great propaganda quote lol

Anyone who believes that this scheme isn't displacing jobs is either an idiot or just believes everything that they're spoon fed by the government.

There are numerous companies who are letting staff go or severely cutting back on hours and getting interns in.

One of the Centra stores in galway had a sign up looking for deli staff with it starting that experience was essential. The sign was taken down one Thursday or Friday and a number of people doing a momentum course in the city were sent there for an interview on the Monday. The job that previously boasted that experience was essential no longer required it as someone involved in cut-e who the course had hired to get placements had offered Centra free employees for 3 months. It's an utter scam and the reality is that in a few years, working a full 40 hour week for €188 + €50 will be the norm.

The hilarious thing about that is that the retail sector keep using the excuse that they need the interns to stay afloat as the sector is still in a very bad way, but if that did happen, people would have even less money to spend and the sector will be in a even worse position than it is now and they will only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

cloudatlas wrote: »
    "18 Months a Slave" starring a poor unfortunate dole recipient a salivating at the mouth managing director and human resource stooges...

yeah, think I seen a poster for that somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How many years until this new reality? Will it be before or after the general election in 2016? Does "the norm" mean a max of €238 for everybody working, currently about 1.9 million people? Sometimes reading this thread I think there must be 1.9 million on Jobbridge.

I am not an idiot but I don't know what momentum courses and cut-e are. I am constantly surprised by the depth of knowledge some people have about the lives of legions of Jobbridge interns. Seeing as there are only around 6,500 of them in the country at any given time since 2011. People know how they are being treated by the employers, FAS and the Dole. How many of them there are in each shop etc, how many hours they work, what they pay for their meals and transport etc.

I must lead a sheltered life since I don't even know one person who ever took part in the scheme. It's no wonder someone else started a thread asking if peoples privacy had ever been invaded seeing the amount of information gathered by contributors to this thread.

I have mentored over 20 interns, mentoring two new ones that started this month, my sister has been on the scheme, my girlfriend is currently on the scheme and have had 3 close friends do the scheme, but hey maybe that is just me.....

Also that number of 6500 means nothing, how many people have left their internship without completing the contract and the internship being filled by another intern soon after or straight away as it stands now.

Xenji wrote: »
    I have mentored over 20 interns, mentoring two new ones that started this month, my sister has been on the scheme, my girlfriend is currently on the scheme and have had 3 close friends do the scheme, but hey maybe that is just me.....

So you may be in a position to say whether they were forced to take up the placements or did they decide to apply. Although this is the sort of private information that I wouldn't expect people to share with others.

So you may be in a position to say whether they were forced to take up the placements or did they decide to apply. Although this is the sort of private information that I wouldn't expect people to share with others.

None that I have mentored were forced, I can say that most were not happy with the scheme, mainly due to the fact some were unaware that they had no chance of being hired in the end and others bemoaning the fact that every other job in town going was also a Jobbridge, most also rarely got to do what they signed up for, every position with a good title has always ended up with the intern being a clerical worker.

Xenji wrote: »
    None that I have mentored were forced, I can say that most were not happy with the scheme, mainly due to the fact some were unaware that they had no chance of being hired in the end and others bemoaning the fact that every other job in town going was also a Jobbridge.

It's a wonder me and you and the rest of the 1.9 million of us have a job at all if that is the way things are.

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/labourmarket/principalstatistics/

It's a wonder me and you and the rest of the 1.9 million of us have a job at all if that is the way things are.

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/labourmarket/principalstatistics/

I cannot speak for every town, but Castlebar is in a very bad way employment wise, the scheme has done nothing to help in fairness, the amount of vacant premises and premises that were built and never used is very disheartening. I actually count myself very lucky to have a job and do not take that fact for granted, from my year at school of 100 lads, a good 60 have left the country and only a handful still live in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I reckon this thing is on its last legs. Seems like it never took off really. I hope one day Joan Burton has to answer stiff questions about how this really dangerous policy was ever taken seriously and the damage that it caused.

How many years until this new reality? Will it be before or after the general election in 2016? Does "the norm" mean a max of €238 for everybody working, currently about 1.9 million people? Sometimes reading this thread I think there must be 1.9 million on Jobbridge.

I am not an idiot but I don't know what momentum courses and cut-e are. I am constantly surprised by the depth of knowledge some people have about the lives of legions of Jobbridge interns. Seeing as there are only around 6,500 of them in the country at any given time since 2011. People know how they are being treated by the employers, FAS and the Dole. How many of them there are in each shop etc, how many hours they work, what they pay for their meals and transport etc.

I must lead a sheltered life since I don't even know one person who ever took part in the scheme. It's no wonder someone else started a thread asking if peoples privacy had ever been invaded seeing the amount of information gathered by contributors to this thread.

People have a knowledge of these schemes and the people on them because many of use know people on the schemes. I've heard more than enough tales of how poor it is and how the scheme abuses people.

There are so many of these schemes that the number far exceeds 6,500 at any one time. Between the various FAS courses, Momentum, Tus, Jobsbridge, etc it's difficult to get a grip on the figure. Businesses all over the country are letting staff go and bringing in interns. A friend of mine lost his job a week ago alongside 2 others, their positions are now up on jobsbridge only slightly tweaked. His boss told him that once he was eligible they'd take him back under the scheme.

People have a knowledge of these schemes and the people on them because many of use know people on the schemes. I've heard more than enough tales of how poor it is and how the scheme abuses people.

There are so many of these schemes that the number far exceeds 6,500 at any one time. Between the various FAS courses, Momentum, Tus, Jobsbridge, etc it's difficult to get a grip on the figure. Businesses all over the country are letting staff go and bringing in interns. A friend of mine lost his job a week ago alongside 2 others, their positions are now up on jobsbridge only slightly tweaked. His boss told him that once he was eligible they'd take him back under the scheme.

It's not difficult to get a grip on the Jobbridge figures if we can confine ourselves to the subject of the thread. There are a maximum of 8,500 placements available and they are never fully filled. Which gives the lie to the people who say that dole claimants are being forced to take up the placements. Why would they not fill all 8,500, with 300,000 on the dole if it is forced labour?

http://www.jobbridge.ie/

There are currently 1898 internships available

6438 currently on an Internship

It's not difficult to get a grip on the Jobbridge figures if we can confine ourselves to the subject of the thread. There are a maximum of 8,500 placements available and they are never fully filled. Which gives the lie to the people who say that dole claimants are being forced to take up the placements. Why would they not fill all 8,500, with 300,000 on the dole if it is forced labour?

http://www.jobbridge.ie/

There are currently 1898 internships available

6438 currently on an Internship

People are being forced onto internships. I know a number of people who were told to take a jobsbridge or their payment would be cut. It's not fantasy, it's actively happening and now the government have publicly stated that people will be forced onto them. I know 5 people who in recent months were given the ultimatum. 4 of them took an internship and now find themselves doing such interesting things as washing that bosses car and running to the shop every few hours. The fifth person refused to take one and he lost over 40 euro a week from his dole.

People are being forced onto internships. I know a number of people who were told to take a jobsbridge or their payment would be cut. It's not fantasy, it's actively happening and now the government have publicly stated that people will be forced onto them. I know 5 people who in recent months were given the ultimatum. 4 of them took an internship and now find themselves doing such interesting things as washing that bosses car and running to the shop every few hours. The fifth person refused to take one and he lost over 40 euro a week from his dole.

Are you some sort of investigative journalist or private detective. How can you get this sort of private information about so many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Are you some sort of investigative journalist or private detective. How can you get this sort of private information about so many people.

Makes it up.

There are these things called friends and acquaintances and often when you meet them they will tell you what's happening in their life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Are you some sort of Govt stooge, that you defend them in every fcuking thread, cheerlead every hairbrained and corrupt policy they implement , no matter how glaringly obvious to everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

JobBridge is one of the biggest frauds against the Irish people ever conceived. If you want to know how crooked it is just look at how Joan Burton is bending over backwards in order to protect the identities of companies which have been disqualified for abuse of the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

The scheme is broken. It sounded good on paper but has always been broken.
    The recent ads looking for people with PhDs in Chemistry to do jobsbridge internships at no cost to the employer went beyond broken into taking the piss.

The defining moment for me was seeing an internship in my general field going in the the uni I recently graduated from. I looked at it because I thought it might actually be worth it for the experience. I was not sufficiently qualified to intern for the uni that gave me a degree in the subject :/. That really shows they're just looking for free staff, not trainees.

Advertisement