Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Anytime I've heard Joan Burton or others talking about it they say things like " two thirds are in employment within 6 months" . They don't seem to specify how many are with the same company or in anything to do with the same field. 50 people could do internships in a lab in a hospital then get minimum wage jobs in tesco straight after and they'd count them in the figures of people who have jobs after job bridge.

It worse than that, if you have been in employment at any time since the end of the internship it's classed as success no matter for how long or type of work. Notice how they never mention how many interns are currently in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Are you some sort of Govt stooge, that you defend them in every fcuking thread, cheerlead every hairbrained and corrupt policy they implement , no matter how glaringly obvious to everyone?

Thanks for following my input into all those threads, I can't remember being a contributor to very many myself. I drop in here occasionally as a ordinary person and If I see something which I think is scaremongering or misinformation I might point it out. There is certainly no shortage of material.

Of course I haven't had the benefit of first hand accounts from thousands of Jobbridge victims about their plight and what they have for breakfast. As I said earlier I don't know any of them. But seeing as there have been just 25,000 of them I'm probably not too unusual in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Joan and Eamon launched the new jobbridge posters earlier today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 upwardsonwards

It is a scam but if it forces people out of the bed it might just motivate them to find a real job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

It is a scam but if it forces people out of the bed it might just motivate them to find a real job.

You mean the real jobs that are now JobBridge positions?

Do people genuinely believe that all people on the dole stay in bed all day, waking up long enough to drink beer and smoke cigarettes while watching their big tv and planning their 2nd sun holiday?

The majority of unemployed people I have come across have little skills or education, so the only jobs they can/feel like they can apply for are low paying jobs in shops and warehouses and the like. Contrary to popular belief, there are not many of these jobs going anymore. I'm not blaming JobBridge solely for that but it doesn't help, especially if you do motivate yourself to apply for a JobBridge position in something better than unskilled work only to be told you need more experience in the field or a PhD, which only makes you feel even more useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If a person will not get out of bed for a real job, the chances of him getting out of bed to be exploited is even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Xenji wrote: »
    If a person will not get out of bed for a real job, the chances of him getting out of bed to be exploited is even less.

indeed to be blunt you are better off staying on the dole and looking for a job on your own if you know your not going to be kept on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

If anybody is in any doubt that jobridge isn't absolute rubbish and is ensuring people will not take gainful employment well here you go , tight shower of comrades.... To put it nicely :)

Warehouse Assistant

Next » Back to Search Results Intern Eligibility Follow us on Twitter Print this Page
    Created on: 29/01/2014 | Updated on: 06/02/2014 | Displayed until 01/04/2014   52 days from now

Based in CASTLEBAR (URBAN) Ref. INTE-823837
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in Inventory Control & Goods inwards & outwards, operating a forklift, running a stockroom in accordance with systems and procedures, receiving deliveries in an efficient & timely manner being able to identify & resolve any discrepancies that arise, and preparing orders for dispatch. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following Forklift training if necessary, In house computer systems & packages, dealing with customers & suppliers in a positive environment On completion the intern will have attained skills in Inventory Control, Goods inwards/outwards, strong organisational & communication skills & a good knowledge of computers

Skills Requirements
    Previous forklift training an advantage but not necessary, Good organisational skills, Ability to communicate effectively. Ability to take direction from your mentor and colleagues. Ability to work on own initiative.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department
    Warehouse

Mentor
    The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Duration
    9 Months

Number of Positions

Contract Type
    Other

Days, Hours & Start Date
    Days per week: To be Advised
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 40
    Start Date: TBC

Experience Required:
    No Experience Required
    Education Requirements:
    Leaving Certificate Ordinary - Ideal intern should have achieved their leaving cert or equivalent qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I got my current Job via jobbridge.

The company I interned with liked me enough that they wanted to keep me on - but the financials were collapsing for them and there just wasn't the money there. In fact, they folded not too long ago.

I got this job two weeks after that, on foot of my experience with that company, and having a good referee from that company who was well respected in an individual capacity within the industry. And a lot of the work I did with that company came up in the interview, where I was able to show worked examples and the like on my computer which demonstrated what I had done for them, while the experience I gained in non technical stuff like actually having the confidence to do things and stand over my work did stand to me in a very real way.

What I'm actually doing is more expansive than my jobbridge work - the company I was with was focused on one narrow part of the industry while the one I'm with now is a bit more generalist.

It's a case of swings and roundabouts really. Some are ****. Others actually work.

• Advertisement

Well done, it is great hearing stories like that, from my counting you are the 9th person to say they got a job out of it in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Dartz wrote: »
    I got my current Job via jobbridge.

Congratulations.
    Sounds like you worked hard and were lucky to get involved with decent people.
    I'm glad some people get fair and honest treatment - it is a real pity that there aren't more people of the calibre and moral stance of your jobbridge employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Well done, it is great hearing stories like that, from my counting you are the 9th person to say they got a job out of it in this thread.

That's less than I expected. Though I wonder how large a sample-size boards is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I worked in a place where a girl I worked with in a previous job was taken on as an 'intern' - bit of a joke considering she was married with kids, 15 odd years experience in her field, degree, MBA and chartered professional. But she did get the jobs full time (and on the appropriate salary) in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I worked in a place where a girl I worked with in a previous job was taken on as an 'intern' - bit of a joke considering she was married with kids, 15 odd years experience in her field, degree, MBA and chartered professional. But she did get the jobs full time (and on the appropriate salary) in the end.

was her 15 years experience,degree and mba and chartered professionalism pertinent to the intern position she took up or was it a different field of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Pinch Flat wrote: »

That's mad, she been better off interning somewhere else or doing a work placement of some sort that it not jobbridge related. Its mad she even had to do a jobbridge surely even a minimum wage job or CE one would have suited her better?

She was very lucky to get a job full time and get a proper wage in the end was only fair with her skills, qualifications and experience. You think people that have 10 or 15+ years experience would have more of an advantage but like that now doesn't give those 6 months/1 year, 2 years to 5 years experience much hope then in this recession. :/

Shouldn't really matter probably does depending on field but to be honest any kind of transferable skills and good work experience examples should stand to someone like her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Anyone heard or have experience with the Jobbridge like county council scheme?Gateway I believe its called.Brother in law was selected for one before Christmas and has heard nothing from them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 john85cw

what happens if you sent to a job on jobridge and just do nothing are you sacked or dole cut or what happens ?

john85cw wrote: »
    what happens if you sent to a job on jobridge and just do nothing are you sacked or dole cut or what happens ?

As in you do not turn up for it, or do nothing when you are on it?

john85cw wrote: »

You have to do an interview before going on a JobBridge placement. How well you do in that interview will sway the interviewer in your favour or against. Employers don't want to have to wetnurse disinterested interns!

• Advertisement

You have to do an interview before going on a JobBridge placement. How well you do in that interview will sway the interviewer in your favour or against. Employers don't want to have to wetnurse disinterested interns!

It does not take much wetnursing to show an intern how to stock shelves, clean houses and make tea.

It does not take much wetnursing to show an intern how to stock shelves, clean houses and make tea.

You'd be very surprised! My point being that if you're not interested in the job, how you behave in an interview will be a deciding factor! Internships are never worth an employers time, if they have to watch and redo everything after an intern is supposed to have done it.

You'd be very surprised! My point being that if you're not interested in the job, how you behave in an interview will be a deciding factor! Internships are never worth an employers time, if they have to watch and redo everything after an intern is supposed to have done it.

You will see stories coming out soon about a company in Donegal who won a tender from the government for the water meter installation, they decided to take on people from Jobbridge to handle some of the installations, and they made a complete balls of it and had no training, which is mandatory. The company has left itself open to legal action over it and it has cost a princely sum in road repairs as well. The interns were never supervised with the installations and had not completed the necessary Water Meter Installation or Boundary Box installations courses, just left to their own devices.

Internships are well worth an employer's time, mainly due to the fact that they do not have to pay them, keep them on or train them, and when their 6 or 9 months are up, they can just get another one in the next day and not have to wait the 3 months anymore.

You will see stories coming out soon about a company in Donegal who won a tender from the government for the water meter installation, they decided to take on people from Jobbridge to handle some of the installations, and they made a complete balls of it and had no training, which is mandatory. The company has left itself open to legal action over it and it has cost a princely sum in road repairs as well. The interns were never supervised with the installations and had not completed the necessary Water Meter Installation or Boundary Box installations courses, just left to their own devices.

Internships are well worth an employer's time, mainly due to the fact that they do not have to pay them, keep them on or train them, and when their 6 or 9 months are up, they can just get another one in the next day and not have to wait the 3 months anymore.

Your example has just proven my point! How much more will it cost the company to correct bad work?

Your example has just proven my point! How much more will it cost the company to correct bad work?

Not sure of the figure, we had lads in for training from Donegal Co Co and they were talking to me about it, but they reckon close to 20k at a minimum anyway. The company themselves should not of let them near any installations and knew they would not of got the required training, as only staff from the companies that won the tenders were allowed to be given the needed training, not general members of the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Proves the company was only interested in profit more like it, free labour people supposed to be already qualified. I'm sure it would not have happened if they had even some training if they were already say out of work plumbers. Seems a tad unfair tendering for a contract and using Jobbridge to make savings over the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How many employees in the company? As you know a company can only have 1 Jobbridge if they have up to 10 employees, 2 between 10 and 20 and so on.

Did the company send out it's "ordinary" workers alone to do the jobs or did they work in pairs or more? If they were alone, did that mean the Jobbridge people also were alone with nobody to give them guidance? If they were not alone, but accompanied by at least one ordinary worker, why would only the Jobbridge person get the blame for shoddy workmanship?

If they were alone, you should take it on yourself to report this flagrant breach of the regulations, since you are in possession of the evidence. And if they were not alone but unsupervised and left to their own devices, leading to shoddy work, this needs reporting as well.

Or as you say we will see stories about it soon, then maybe they have been reported already.

How many employees in the company? As you know a company can only have 1 Jobbridge if they have up to 10 employees, 2 between 10 and 20 and so on.
    Or as you say we will see stories about it soon, then maybe they have been reported already.

Or maybe it's just heresay, as a lot of comments from those opposed to JobBridge are good at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Or maybe it's just heresay, as a lot of comments from those opposed to JobBridge are good at!

You mean like the 35 companies that are already band from the scheme for abusing it ? odd that there are very few people who have anything good to say about the scheme but loads and loads that don't have anything good to say about it.

• Advertisement

True, it is always the same 2 or 3 posters who just come on here with the same blinkered views about the scheme and seem to see everything through rose coloured glasses and offer very sheltered and closeted views.

Advertisement