Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Xenji wrote: »
    True, it is always the same 2 or 3 posters who just come on here with the same blinkered views about the scheme and seem to see everything through rose coloured glasses and offer very sheltered and closeted views.

Exactly if it worked I'm sure everyone would be shouting it from the roof tops even the Minister for Social Protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Xenji wrote: »
    True, it is always the same 2 or 3 posters who just come on here with the same blinkered views about the scheme and seem to see everything through rose coloured glasses and offer very sheltered and closeted views.
    Most of the pro jobbridge views seem to be the short sighted, begrudging type who think it's better to get the scroungers off their arses and make them work for their free money. They fail to see that the real scroungers ie long term unemployed who have no intention of working (and yes there are a small section of society like this) are hardly going to work for less than minimum wage, if they won't even work for minimum wage in the first place.

The people who do end up doing jobbridge, are decent people who genuinely want to work and are doing their best to get off the social. They are not scroungers and shouldn't be expected to work for 9 months with no hope of a job at the end.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Most of the pro jobbridge views seem to be the short sighted, begrudging type who think it's better to get the scroungers off their arses and make them work for their free money. They fail to see that the real scroungers ie long term unemployed who have no intention of working (and yes there are a small section of society like this) are hardly going to work for less than minimum wage, if they won't even work for minimum wage in the first place.

The people who do end up doing jobbridge, are decent people who genuinely want to work and are doing their best to get off the social. They are not scroungers and shouldn't be expected to work for 9 months with no hope of a job at the end.

I am only quoting and replying to this to give it the full thanks it deserves.
    Says everything I want to say. Thanks.

• Advertisement

The solution is not to make other dole claimants work for 50 euro a week, fulltime, either, though, is it?

Not picking on you, bud. But can people not see that Jobridge is taking away real, paid entry level jobs, while stile costing the tax payers money via dole +50 payments?

This coming from someone on the dole!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Careful now, they will be asking you for PPS numbers and passport pictures if they see this, just to prove these people actually exist :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The solution is not to make other dole claimants work for 50 euro a week, fulltime, either, though, is it?

Not picking on you, bud. But can people not see that Jobridge is taking away real, paid entry level jobs, while stile costing the tax payers money via dole +50 payments?

This coming from someone on the dole!

Most people in this thread can, we have talked a lot about the financial impact and the impact on jobs, some though cannot see the real harm it is doing, but they are few thankfully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...Jobridge is taking away real, paid entry level jobs...

This is my biggest issue with Job Bridge.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

From my own experience Fred, claiming each month is no problem, nothing is said. I was on the dole for 7-8 months between 2012-2013. I had not a bother on me until I went for jobbridge, and then I felt the full force of the SW bureaucracy.Too long to go into here but basically I feel that if you claim month after month and year after year you are free to do so, but the second you try to engage with the system and get out of it, you're treated like a borderline criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

ivytwine wrote: »
    From my own experience Fred, claiming each month is no problem, nothing is said. I was on the dole for 7-8 months between 2012-2013. I had not a bother on me until I went for jobbridge, and then I felt the full force of the SW bureaucracy.Too long to go into here but basically I feel that if you claim month after month and year after year you are free to do so, but the second you try to engage with the system and get out of it, you're treated like a borderline criminal.

Attempts to engage with the dole are automatically assumed to be attempts at fraud and treated like such. It's all designed to make sure nobody gets any more than what they're specifically entitled to... even if it costs far more to implement than the fraud it prevents it keeps the conservatives out there happy to know that those on the Welfare know exactly how pathetic and menial they are by forcing them to jump through hoop after hoop.

Any attempt to improve yourself, or your situation is met with stern paternal resistance.

Attempting to get out of it and failing 'repeatedly is just ****ing depressing... it's almost easier to game the system than it is to use it as intended. At least thats how it seems sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

Well my job bridge fiasco is nearing it's end...the girl whose maternity cover I am covering has decided to take unpaid leave ...so you might think that after 9 months I might be offered few months work? Nope I was asked if I wanted to come in Saturdays and do the work as my employer ' doesn't like giving money to the tax man' ! I swear I give up. Feeling thoroughly fed up��

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

How the **** can anyone be happy doing career claims? It's the most depressing thing imaginable. Never mind that 180 a week is miniscule.

And I still have to talk to the *****. I'm working part-time, but I still need to sort out casual claims details and the like incase it falls apart. I put the forms in 2 weeks ago, they 'vanished', went to the hatch yesterday to find out what the story was and why they haven't been in touch, then waited for a half hour only to be told I had to come back to a different hatch on Thursday because "That's not my job" - because the papers went missing or something. Which'd be great except Thursday is a day I've been asked to work this week. Doleism is misery. Getting into it, getting out of it or living on it or just plain dealing with people who assume you have all the time in the world to do the runaround, so they might aswell fill it as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I know of a job bridge position advertised for a chemical/science company that required a PhD as qualifications.

The successful applicant was used as a van driver and let go after 6 months.

What's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

How could you have/own a nice house on the dole?. Holiday wise when all bills are paid I find it very hard to imagine having nice holidays on the dole other than a trip to Bundoran

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

donegal11 wrote: »
    How could you have/own a nice house on the dole?. Holiday wise when all bills are paid I find it very hard to imagine having nice holidays on the dole other than a trip to Bundoran

Was thinking the same thing! Maybe the person in question is also working cash in hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Is this the Magic Dole? Where does one sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I too would love to hear about this magic dole.

I know some people unemployed and it's horrible for them. €188 affords you food, hopefully shelter and heat, nothing more. You can't live on the dole, only survive and for some people they are even struggling with that.

Holsten wrote: »

I know some people unemployed and it's horrible for them. €188 affords you food, hopefully shelter and heat, nothing more. You can't live on the dole, only survive and for some people they are even struggling with that.

Yeah maybe some people think it's €188 per day ... Or the dole office took out a mortgage for them and are paying it for them ? Bought them a car too I'm guessing these people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Holsten wrote: »

You wouldn't love to hear about it, it'll make you furious. 3 did a program about it a while back. The money taken in monthly was shocking, many did work for cash also.

You wouldn't love to hear about it, it'll make you furious. 3 did a program about it a while back. The money taken in monthly was shocking, many did work for cash also.

So a Tiny Minority not even a % oF a % of people represents the whole amount of people on the dole now ?

(Fixed the Typo)

So a Tiny Minority not even a % or a % of people represents the whole amount of people on the dole now ?

Who said that? Fred said he knows some people that are happy on the dole. I am not sure why you are inferring that everyone is happy. Maybe wind your neck in?

Who said that? Fred said he knows some people that are happy on the dole. I am not sure why you are inferring that everyone is happy. Maybe wind your neck in?

Are you having problems reading what I said ? I was saying that show on TV3 that showed people scamming the dole does not represent everyone on the dole it was only a few people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Ha yes, I mean there are scam artists on the dole, sure. But that is not what the dole is. The dole is 98% of the people on it getting a bit of money to push on and not exactly loving it. It's depressing. Not fun. Walk into a dole office you will take notice of the messers but overlook the majority.

Are you having problems reading what I said ? I was saying that show on TV3 that showed people scamming the dole does not represent everyone on the dole it was only a few people.

Yes, it's me having reading problems. :rolleyes:

I was responding directly to a post referring to"magic dole" - dole that allows you to have a house and go on holidays comfortably. No one said that everyone on the dole is on the scam. Maybe if you took a breath and didnt leap to conclusions you'd have noticed that.

Yes, it's me having reading problems. :rolleyes:

I was responding directly to a post referring to"magic dole" - dole that allows you to have a house and go on holidays comfortably. No one said that everyone on the dole is on the scam. Maybe if you took a breath and didnt leap to conclusions you'd have noticed that.

Not really it's implied always it's a running theme dole = scamming. The amount of people that know 2/3 people scamming is huge so obviously anecdotal or just made up in my opinion. They never let figures get in the way as I said it’s a % of a % who scam. The rest are just trying to find work and get by. I think you may have taken my post the wrong way.

Not really it's implied always it's a running theme dole = scamming the amount of people that know 2/3 people scamming is huge so obviously anecdotal or just made up in my opinion. They never let figures get in the way as I said it’s a % of a % who scam. The rest are just trying to find work and get by. I think you may have taken my post the wrong way.

Yes, we are probably in agreement that its a minority that are abusing on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

this email is currently being sent to employers nationwide from the revenue commissioners...
    Supporting you to access new talent and skills
    Get practical advice and assistance at our forthcoming employer briefings by talking directly to our experienced teams. Find out more about how our integrated service - Intreo - can help support your company's employment needs.

Information will be provided on the full range of employment and financial supports available to assist you to grow your workforce, including:

JobsIreland
    JobsPlus
    JobBridge
    EURES
    And employer supports available in your locality

These events, hosted by Joan Burton T.D., Minister for Social Protection, will be of interest to:

Managing Directors, CEOs, Company Directors, HR Directors, HR Managers, SME Owner/Managers and Finance Directors/Managers.
    ====

• Advertisement

this email is currently being sent to employers nationwide from the revenue commissioners...
    Supporting you to access new talent and skills
    Get practical advice and assistance at our forthcoming employer briefings by talking directly to our experienced teams. Find out more about how our integrated service - Intreo - can help support your company's employment needs.

Information will be provided on the full range of employment and financial supports available to assist you to grow your workforce, including:

JobsIreland
    JobsPlus
    JobBridge
    EURES
    And employer supports available in your locality

These events, hosted by Joan Burton T.D., Minister for Social Protection, will be of interest to:

Managing Directors, CEOs, Company Directors, HR Directors, HR Managers, SME Owner/Managers and Finance Directors/Managers.
    ====

What a crock of **** :( It's becoming a race to the bottom for employers with jobbridge.

Advertisement