Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm sure you'll argue 40,000 is quite high. However you need to bear in mind that in that 40,000 there are people who are unemployable for various reasons illness , drug addiction , mental incapable, single parents who have kids, criminals with records or active criminals.
    Out of an overall popluation it's not huge and of course people who have finsihed school or college and can't get a job.

I'm a single parent with kids (now in their teens) - I work fulltime.

Single parents and criminals may well be unemployable for various reasons, but it doesn't mean they can't do socially useful work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Daith wrote: »
    Some of them may be lazy and quite happy not to do anything getting paid dole money and other benefits.

Some of them may be unlucky and can't find a job.

I'm not generalizing anyone but to argue that everyone out of work for over two years isn't lazy isn't right either.

Ok so no job availability 26 applicants per position makes you lazy that's interesting. So these people should just go actively sweep clean your streets Say what 4 months after being on the Dole. You know to keep them Busy spending what little money they have on lunches and traveling to and from that work pushing them further down the bread line. Eventually not having enough money to print c.v’s out or pay for internet to apply for jobs that seems like a really good idea alright .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Daith

Ok so no job availability 26 applicants per position makes you lazy that's interesting. So these people should just go actively sweep clean your streets Say what 4 months after being on the Dole. You know to keep them Busy spending what little money they have on lunches and traveling to and from that work pushing them further down the bread line. Eventually not having enough money to print c.v’s out or pay for internet to apply for jobs that seems like a really good idea alright .....

If you haven't worked in over two years you can't expect to keep getting money for doing nothing.

Of course I didn't realize that people on the dole don't eat lunches or travel anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you haven't worked in over two years you can't expect to keep getting money for doing nothing.

Of course I didn't realize that people on the dole don't eat lunches or travel anywhere.

I've been unemployed for 2.5 years now. Not through choice. And not for the want of trying. Are you seriously suggesting I starve as I cannot get work?

With your attitude, I sincerely hope you NEVER find yourself in the same position. Karma has a funny way of biting smug people like you in the arse...

I've been unemployed for 2.5 years now. Not through choice. And not for the want of trying. Are you seriously suggesting I starve as I cannot get work?

Are you telling me you're going to starve on this scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Xenji wrote: »
    It is the DSP ( government ) that pay you the extra €50, not the employer as they do not have to pay anything, you will get €238 payed into your bank account at midnight every wednesday, well that is if you are getting the €188 a week as it is and you are not guaranteed a job at the end of it, it is actually harder now to get hired then it was about 6 months ago.

why harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm a single parent with kids (now in their teens) - I work fulltime.

Single parents and criminals may well be unemployable for various reasons, but it doesn't mean they can't do socially useful work.

Bravo!
    I once was a single parent who worked (works) . But i know of others who cannot for various reasons.

Clearly I didn't mean everybody in that category only examples.

Ok then lets see. Doing course after course on the back of tax payers money just so you look like your doing something while there are no jobs. Guess what that = Most highly educated unemployed people in Europe. Being highly educated does not magic jobs were there are no jobs. I think your having problems realising there are literally no jobs, all entry level jobs have been taken by Job bridge and all other schemes. So you cant even fall back on working in Tesco for example to get a bit more money than you would get on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Are you telling me you're going to starve on this scheme?

Nope. Next. You can't defend the indefensible. There aren't enough entry/intermediate level jobs to go round.

Nope. Next. You can't defend the indefensible. There aren't enough entry/intermediate level jobs to go round.

So what's your solution then. You get paid your job seekers benefit and other benefits forever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

donegal11 wrote: »
    why harder?

They scrapped the cooling off period, before you had to wait 3 months before taking on a new intern, now once one intern finishes, they can hire a new one straight away and have them working the next day, so the incentive to hire has lessened as they can just have a continuous flow of free labour.

I don't think so ... Or are you saying 400k people are just lazy. It’s Nice to make up stuff just to bash people on the dole.

No, as I said some of those people can be lazy. Some may have bad luck. You're the one generalizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i think some comments here are ignoring the elephant in the room. which is that
    this is obviously a government live register massage operation.

a lot of these new 'positions' will be for low skill positions that would usually offer minimum wage or thereabouts , so one could be forced to work a position with no experience benefit for feck all.

im all for valuable low paid or no pay experience opportunities that can further ones career, but this scheme seems to be taking the piss and not creating Real jobs, only distorting the low paid jobs market.

im all for valuable low paid or no pay experience opportunities that can further ones career, but this scheme seems to be taking the piss and not creating Real jobs, only distorting the low paid jobs market.

Well I think that's more the Job bridge scheme where it's an actual 39 hour role. I actually hugely dislike the job bridge schemes.

So what's your solution then. You get paid your job seekers benefit and other benefits forever?

Yours solution seems to be after 2 years let people starve by the looks of it. Regardless of job opportunities or not.

That the government actually focuses on creating jobs and not mickey mouse schemes that are there just to massage the unemployment figure, these 800 people will not be deemed to be on the live register even though they will still be in receipt of social welfare and still technically unemployed.

Yours solution seems to be after 2 years let people starve by the looks of it. Regardless of job opportunities or not.

No I'm not. Am I saying they should stop getting benefits? No.

"Let people starve". Jesus.

No I'm not. Am I saying they should stop getting benefits? No.

"Let people starve". Jesus.

How do they pay for food then ? I cant understand your logic

That the government actually focuses on creating jobs and not mickey mouse schemes that are there just to massage the unemployment figure, these 800 people will not be deemed to be on the live register even though they will still be in receipt of social welfare and still technically unemployed.

And what this scheme is actually for is for people who would never apply for these real jobs in the first place.

How do they pay for food then ? I cant understand your logic

With their job seekers benefit which they still get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

donegal11 wrote: »
    why harder?
    Most of the entry-level jobs are now jobsbridge.

And what this scheme is actually for is for people who would never apply for these real jobs in the first place.

I know some people never want to work and like I said public work schemes are the best for that type if they are fit and healthy, but honestly if the government would create 800 real jobs, jobs that the country is crying out for, instead of yet another scheme that does not see people getting a real job and wage it would be a lot better. It is nearly impossible to get any job now in Castlebar that is not a scheme, we would love 800 real jobs here, but that is never gonna happen as they do not exist and it is the same across the country.

the_syco wrote: »
    Most of the entry-level jobs are now jobsbridge.

Jobsbridge / Tus / Fas / employment activation / Fit / there are absolutely loads more as well under different names to massage the job figures.

I know some people never want to work and like I said public work schemes are the best for that type if they are fit and healthy, but honestly if the government would create 800 real jobs, jobs that the country is crying out for, instead of yet another scheme that does not see people getting a real job and wage. It is nearly impossible to get any job now in Castlebar that is not a scheme, we would love 800 real jobs here, but that is never gonna happen as they do not exist and it is the same across the country.

Ok, I completely get you here. As I said I dislike and hate the job bridge stuff. I fully agree is just about getting people of the live register.

However the focus on this is for people who don't want to work and continue to get paid benefits. I understand people who have been trying will get caught up in this though.

I don't think anyone wants to see someone starve......and I'm all for helping people who get into a run of bad luck.....

I don't even have a problem with the level of benefits paid, but what I do have a problem with is the ease with which is both possible to get benefits and stay on benefits without making some kind of contribution to the rest of society who are funding the benefits.

People who are in need have entitlements (and I use that word very deliberately) but so too do those not on benefits and one of those is an entitlement to a tangible assurance that money is distributed both carefully and appropriately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Jobsbridge / Tus / Fas / employment activation / Fit / there are absolutely loads more as well under different names to massage the job figures.

yes like Community Employment schemes, rural social scheme, springboard, the Work Placement program and of course the latest one Gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So long story short ....

Got a degree last year and I was at the Career Zoo jobs expo last weekend trying to get a job. I handed out a few cv's and got chatting to one guy who said send off an email with example of work.

So I send off the email and they got back saying ideally they are looking for someone who has more of a skillset than I currently do. So I decide to go to their website and they have 4 jobs listed. 2 of which are paid postions and the other two are internships. Of course my current skill set, after doing an 9 month course last year, is exactly what they are seeking in their "internship" ... :rolleyes: and as for the paid roles well you have to know pretty much everything under the sun.

So long story short ....

Got a degree last year and I was at the Career Zoo jobs expo last weekend trying to get a job. I handed out a few cv's and got chatting to one guy who said send off an email with example of work.

So I send off the email and they got back saying ideally they are looking for someone who has more of a skillset than I currently do. So I decide to go to their website and they have 4 jobs listed. 2 of which are paid postions and the other two are internships. Of course my current skill set, after doing an 9 month course last year, is exactly what they are seeking in their "internship" ... :rolleyes: and as for the paid roles well you have to know pretty much everything under the sun.

Would not be surprised the Paid jobs as you say are red herrings just to make it look like their wanting to hire but cant so they can use these schemes. Not all Employers are doing this but i would say more than enough are to take up the Free labour while it lasts.

Why does everyone expect to get a job in their chosen field just because they've finished their degree?

Myself and most of the people I know spent about 2/3 years post-college working in a hole range of crappy jobs in between temporary contracts . assignments before getting a job that might reasonably be defined as a 'regular'.

• Advertisement

Just watched a news report regarding the 800 jobs WTH is a Street ambassador ? Looked like someone standing around with a green jacket on giving directions to a Tourist. That’s hardly working for the council.

Advertisement