Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The present Government will only be around for another 2 years maximum.
    wouldnt surprise me if we see another FG Labour government, FG are going to be the biggest party anyway. Kenny has already suggested going in with Labour again. Back on topic.

This is a chicken and egg scenario. But cut welfare the longer you are on it and with the savings, use it to create "real" jobs. The long term spongers lose out and those that are actually looking have a better chance as more jobs are now available...

Jobsbridge definetly has its cons, but there are pros too. For example, would companies bother taking on people if they had to pay them? I.e does the job position have to be filled or is it a luxury?

There is no point blaming the employers for this situation, the government dreamt it up and are the ones making the rules...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in cleaning motor vehicles, inside and out, to a very high standard. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Steam cleaning the engine, frame and wheel arches. Cleaning windows, wheels, door handles and mirrors. Vacuuming and shampooing upholstery and carpets. Applying gels and polishes to surfaces. Painting rubber dressings on tyre walls. On completion the intern will have attained skills in maintaining a safe working environment and professional image, customer service and an understanding of safety procedures and manufacturers instructions and warnings for different chemicals.

Skills Requirements
    The applicant should have an interest in a career in the motor industry and good attention to detail. Commitment to learning necessary.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department
    Valeting

Mentor
    The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Duration
    9 Months

Number of Positions

Contract Type
    Other

Days, Hours & Start Date
    Days per week: To be Advised
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 40
    Start Date: TBC

Experience Required:
    No Experience Required
    Education Requirements:
    Leaving Certificate Vocational - or equivalent

just saw this its a joke imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Starbordsie

Seriously?

http://www.jobsireland.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DDMTQgMzvitG+waS/htNWPx+603kBXoqyRjCmA91vPMzeX283Zm9JNuaGKpNVoRmmaDg9UxZWqvJaFMbs83TqKw0jfSL+Sjvd8BSTa6k5wFiNVoA+vQVWVoljPIVQ2AdkdatTxaFDwgvLHo4AyQH0mwubHn0RGM7tCtlfnGAe8xVe0/jadgRby6YAcPFrpjB0Xy89E4lNDA5jGWGKGXG852CMLkTO6gc0aY4/eeTu0pAPd9jykfHc1rEzkQUhlarLglkJVizKBEoU9pdFCJEYwWNJXe/SPpr5YiPi8LeksYMZtehCKlrhs4NgsxUEANmYw4GR61KpqZmZNNYqajdA0sU3JbBIUjndxBgN9WikoNyW8U7TLMqmBSk/8J0E9tt7ayBBrYL5k2AAJZrCvvC36f4RwIlTwqrFCehY8GrCKBUuBTMW4FBhq0=
    Waiting Staff

Based in MALAHIDE - DUBLIN NORTH COUNTYRef. INTE-826300
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in all aspects of waiting within a luxury restaurant including greeting customers, reservations, ordering procedures, tea/coffee/drink/dessert making; sushi making and kitchen duties. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: customer flow control, arranging tables, cash flow control,day to day duties of running a restaurant. On completion the intern will have attained skills in serving in a high class restaurant/bar.

Skills Requirements
    Responsible hard working & honest individual. Must have good work ethic can work on own initiative also as a good team player. Willing to learn and be aware of good customer care.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department
    Restaurant

Mentor
    The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Duration
    9 Months

Number of Positions

Contract Type
    Other

Days, Hours & Start Date
    Days per week: To be Advised
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 39
    Start Date: TBC

Experience Required:
    No Experience Required
    Education Requirements:
    Third Level - Degree in hospitality is preferrable but not essential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The intern can make sushi in nine months?? :eek: A good sushi chef trains for YEARS not months!! I'd be giving this place a wide berth. Food can't be very good...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The intern can make sushi in nine months?? :eek: A good sushi chef trains for YEARS not months!! I'd be giving this place a wide berth. Food can't be very good...

8-10 years is the usual time it takes to become a Sushi Chef.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

3rd level degree for a waiting job?....this banana republic is gonna sink

Xenji wrote: »

I know. That's why I questioned that part of the advert. The rest of it's a joke anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Xenji wrote: »

+1 i am with you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭DenMan

Gordon Ramsay did a programme last year where he went to visit a sushi restaurant in London. There he met an 'intern' who had spent years working with a sushi master from Japan. He said he spent 9 years of his life as a junior intern washing rice while watching the professionals! Must be some place where you are fully qualified in nine months! :eek:

Yes the paddy's can teach the jap's how it's done obviously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Another lets stick a load of stuff on there to make it look like more than it is. The clue is at the top of that page “Waiting staff”

Another lets stick a load of stuff on there to make it look like more than it is. The clue is at the top of that page “Waiting staff”

So its an internship to wait tables?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

DenMan wrote: »
    Gordon Ramsay did a programme last year where he went to visit a sushi restaurant in London. There he met an 'intern' who had spent years working with a sushi master from Japan. He said he spent 9 years of his life as a junior intern washing rice while watching the professionals! Must be some place where you are fully qualified in nine months! :eek:

Our lads are very fast learners though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So its an internship to wait tables?

That you need a degree in Hospitality for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

kylith wrote: »
    That you need a degree in Hospitality for.
    Ah no, it's only desireable.
    Clearly over the 9 months you'll be learning the skills to wait on tables that you might actually have a chance at applying for a job in that sector (in another business since they'll need to replace the free slave they just lost)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

On completion the intern will have attained skills in serving in a high class restaurant/bar.

This line of that advert sums it up quite nicely, I think.
    That employer, along with SO many others should not only be ashamed of themselves but should be taken to task over this.

As they claim, its a "high end, luxury" restaurant. They should easily be able to pay someone for the role and not use an internship.
    And 9 months?
    To learn to clear and wait tables?
    Outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Starbordsie

Waiting tables is a bloody hard job, both physical and mentally exhausting. It deserves a proper wage. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

They will prob keep the tips

brilou23 wrote: »
    They will prob keep the tips

With an employer pulling a stroke like this....I wouldn't bet on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

With an employer pulling a stroke like this....I wouldn't bet on it

According to the rules, the employer cannot give you any money during your internship and you are not allowed to earn money, so yeah they probably would not be getting any tips.

what a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

MEP Paul Murphy has done great work and has now launched an online peition to abolish this shameful jobbridge scheme. If you want jobbridge to end please sign it and spread the word to family and friends to help the petition get as much support as possible.

http://www.scambridge.ie/

Please help stop this scandal before it's too late and the situation becomes irreversible as more and more greedy employers rely on the scheme.

some of the suggestions on "realjobs" increase the minimum wage to E13 per hour, baa ha ha ha! is this guy from the same school of economics as Bertie Ahern by any chance? The minimum wage if it is to be raised, should be raised in Dublin only, seeing as probably most peoples main cost is housing, be it rent or mortgage.
    Reverses the cut to the Jobseeker’s Allowance for young people (Cost - €32 million).
    It was a crude instrument, but high welfare rates here create their own problems in multiple ways.

Also the E473 million in cuts he wants reversed, where is that to come from?

Literally I would have stopped reading after the E13 per hour minimum wage bit, except it was at the end!!! I assume its safe to say this guy has never actually run a company or has no idea about trade, exports, competitiveness, inflation etc? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Idbatterim wrote: »
    some of the suggestions on "realjobs" increase the minimum wage to E13 per hour, baa ha ha ha! is this guy from the same school of economics as Bertie Ahern by any chance? The minimum wage if it is to be raised, should be raised in Dublin only, seeing as probably most peoples main cost is housing, be it rent or mortgage.

It was a crude instrument, but high welfare rates here create their own problems in multiple ways.

Also the E473 million in cuts he wants reversed, where is that to come from?

Literally I would have stopped reading after the E13 per hour minimum wage bit, except it was at the end!!! I assume its safe to say this guy has never actually run a company or has no idea about trade, exports, competitiveness, inflation etc? :rolleyes:

Yes while a minimum wage of €13 would be unrealistic and drive inflation, points such as scrapping apprenticeship fees, Banning zero-hour contracts, Implementing the EU Directive on Part-Time Working to allow part-time workers to get full-time work in their company when hours become available are very sensible.

The important thing is ending jobbridge, especially now that Joan Burton has officially threatened to cut the benefits of people who do not take up these "internships".

The important thing is ending jobbridge, especially now that Joan Burton has officially threatened to cut the benefits of people who do not take up these "internships".
    I agree on balance it probably does more harm than good. For example, the extra E50 it pays per week, for say 6000 people = E300,000 divide that by say E500 for what a real job would pay per week, they could actually create 600 jobs from that alone! say those 600 removed from the live register saves E188 each, that means another 225 "real" jobs can be created paying E500 per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Smidge wrote: »
    On completion the intern will have attained skills in serving in a high class restaurant/bar.

This line of that advert sums it up quite nicely, I think.
    That employer, along with SO many others should not only be ashamed of themselves but should be taken to task over this.

As they claim, its a "high end, luxury" restaurant. They should easily be able to pay someone for the role and not use an internship.
    And 9 months?
    To learn to clear and wait tables?
    Outrageous.
    I'm not surprised, the "higher the class" the restaurant is the more likely you're going to have knobs running it. They probably think they shouldn't have to pay people for "serf" work such as portering and waitressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Someone posted earlier that I was overstimating the effect the scheme is having on the unemployed who are seeking real work. Today on the fas website I have seen three new internship ads, that would normally be jobs that I would be qualified for.

Last year I applied and interviewed for a junior graphic designer position at a local company. I didn't get the job. I met one of the lads who works there weeks later and he told me they decided not to bother hiring anyone and just took on someone doing work experience instead. Now today there are two jobbridge ads, one for graphic designer, one for marketing executive, at this same place. In the description it says must be able to work autonomously, couldn't be any more blatant that they want a free worker and nothing else. The position I applied for and didn't get is now an internship.

There's another company also advertising for a graphic designer/website content manager, but the company is called Sligo Glass. They make windows basically. So how can they offer an internship in graphic and web design? They obviously are just using the scheme to avoid paying someone to design flyers and make a website for their business. This is just another level of ridiculousness, being able to hire interns for things your business doesn't actually do, that you don't even have customers or clients for. It won't even make sense on your CV.

sligoface wrote: »
    Someone posted earlier that I was overstimating the effect the scheme is having on the unemployed who are seeking real work. Today on the fas website I have seen three new internship ads, that would normally be jobs that I would be qualified for.

Last year I applied and interviewed for a junior graphic designer position at a local company. I didn't get the job. I met one of the lads who works there weeks later and he told me they decided not to bother hiring anyone and just took on someone doing work experience instead. Now today there are two jobbridge ads, one for graphic designer, one for marketing executive, at this same place. In the description it says must be able to work autonomously, couldn't be any more blatant that they want a free worker and nothing else. The position I applied for and didn't get is now an internship.

I would report that company then. You're supposed to have someone mentor you. Not that it seems to happen very often, but if you drop the company in it enough, they might take notice.
    sligoface wrote: »
    There's another company also advertising for a graphic designer/website content manager, but the company is called Sligo Glass. They make windows basically. So how can they offer an internship in graphic and web design? They obviously are just using the scheme to avoid paying someone to design flyers and make a website for their business. This is just another level of ridiculousness, being able to hire interns for things your business doesn't actually do, that you don't even have customers or clients for. It won't even make sense on your CV.

Isn't the slave Jobbridge scheme supposed to give you relevant training? Not necessarily appropriate to the company's Line of Business, but perhaps relevant to your qualifications.

However. I do agree that particular company are taking the living p1ss, by hiring from the JB scheme rather than paying a professional to do the work. Maybe tipping off Scambridge might be an idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Went for an interview for a jobbridge internship. I'm only starting out in Web design/development so looking to get some real world experience where I can learn.

This company is not involved with Web design/development. They basically just want me to re-design their website.
    There will be no mentor and no chance at a permanent position.
    I feel I can do the job alone anyway.
    I don't want to see them get free labour but it would be good for the cv I think. This could be a real job,temporary but real.

Advertisement