Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

IK09 wrote: »
    Ya do ur "shelf stacking"...its a foot in the door. The problem is, when people do their "shelf stacking", they couldnt give a flyin fúck about anything work related. If shelf stacking is the job you want to get into, why not? Get your foot in the door.

The issue is people go around with their heads up their arsés and cant see a shelf that needs to be stacked. If you stack selves and you need to be told what to do, or told to actually stack the shelves instead of standing around chatting, your probably not going to be called back after your 6 months.

Most peoples reaction is "sure its only a shelf, it will get stacked....eventually" do what your there to do and there wont be a problem, if you want a job stacking selves and your in on a job reach or whatever, stack that dawm shelf better than anyone else.

Missing the point by a country mile.

There's is nothing wrong with shelf-stacking. But it's unskilled labour and as such you deserve proper payment for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

wheres the scandal?
    1.you get out of the house
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day

in my previous job, they had 3 people in on a job bridge program. They were on dole +50 euro, for a job that should normally have a salary or 25-30k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

in my previous job, they had 3 people in on a job bridge program. They were on dole +50 euro, for a job that should normally have a salary or 25-30k.

Were they well qualified/experienced or just graduated?Did they get jobs at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Missus did job-bridge for 6 months, was then offered a full time job on normal money. It's not all bad, though it is wide open to abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

wow,

So im the only person who is having a good experience with these schemes. Used to be a teacher...hated it. Drove a van doing deliveries for 3 years, then my body couldnt take the beating anymore so had to leave.

Now im an intern in a Financial Services and Accounting firm. Learning about an industry that I had absolutely no experience in. Im getting experience that money cant buy and hopefully il be kept on when my time is up. I get on well with everyone else here and im confident that if the money is there i will be kept on.

If its not, i will have experience and will be far more employable in this sector. I can guarantee its the same people that are sitting at home moaning about this that refuse to re-train or upskill.

Well hurray for you....

You had the opportunity to train as and work as a teacher, didn't like it so drove a van for a while and couldn't endure the physical aspect so you decided to take on a gov't 'internship' whereby you are effectively displacing prospective newly qualified students who may have studied 3 or 4 years in that sector and have not had the opportunity to try 2 other careers as you did.

Come back to us when your internship finishes and let us know when they appoint you to a permanent position.

And YES, you do appear to be in the minority when it comes to good experiences with this scheme.
    So shut ur moan holes!

Also with an attitude like that towards other people who have not had a good experience is totally ignorant

https://www.scambridge.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

There's is nothing wrong with shelf-stacking. But it's unskilled labour and as such you deserve proper payment for it.

Its quite the opposite in fact, it is you who is missing the point. If you are unemployed, one of the hardest things to do is get a job. As everyone says "its who you know". The job reach allows you to work and make contacts with people in the new sector you have chosen.

Yes some companies will take advantage, thats the nature of this country.

A good example is my friend. He did graphic design and started in a jobbridge position, during which he met a good few people from that industry. He was offer a job in design after his 6 months by a friend of the guy he was working for. The guy who he was working for couldnt afford to pay him a salary. I have another friend who had to work on the reception desk of a hair saloon (full qualified hairdresser), she ended up getting on and off work there through maternity leaves.

The scheme allowed them the opportunity to impress and that is what they did. They got into positions in businesses that they wouldnt have if not for the scheme. Now he has a great job with good pay and she is making contacts through the saloon. She cuts hair at the weekends aswell.

People who succeed, will succeed. People who sit around moaning, will sit around moaning.

nail on the head....and internship is a mentoring programme to allow qualified but inexperienced graduates gain real world experience in their chosen field...

Most interns complete 6 month terms still need more mentoring and experience (I know as I have done 3 fully paid internships before I was ready for 'real-world' work in my chosen field) to be able to apply the theory to the practical application.

In relation to IK09 - One can learn to stack a shelf in minutes and there would be no further learning to be done....

Also by saying stacking a shelf is a foot in the door is a deluded statement. Shelf stacking (as an example) 'internships' will never have a career progression aspect.

Its quite the opposite in fact, it is you who is missing the point. If you are unemployed, one of the hardest things to do is get a job. As everyone says "its who you know". The job reach allows you to work and make contacts with people in the new sector you have chosen.

Yes some companies will take advantage, thats the nature of this country.

A good example is my friend. He did graphic design and started in a jobbridge position, during which he met a good few people from that industry. He was offer a job in design after his 6 months by a friend of the guy he was working for. The guy who he was working for couldnt afford to pay him a salary. I have another friend who had to work on the reception desk of a hair saloon (full qualified hairdresser), she ended up getting on and off work there through maternity leaves.

The scheme allowed them the opportunity to impress and that is what they did. They got into positions in businesses that they wouldnt have if not for the scheme. Now he has a great job with good pay and she is making contacts through the saloon. She cuts hair at the weekends aswell.

People who succeed, will succeed. People who sit around moaning, will sit around moaning.

Every time you post, it is the exception to the rule......

El Gato wrote: »
    Well hurray for you....

You had the opportunity to train as and work as a teacher, didn't like it so drove a van for a while and couldn't endure the physical aspect so you decided to take on a gov't 'internship' whereby you are effectively displacing prospective newly qualified students who may have studied 3 or 4 years in that sector and have not had the opportunity to try 2 other careers as you did.

Come back to us when your internship finishes and let us know when they appoint you to a permanent position.

And YES, you do appear to be in the minority when it comes to good experiences with this scheme.

Also with an attitude like that towards other people who have not had a good experience is totally ignorant

https://www.scambridge.ie/

Im sorry but i havent read the full thread. I havent seen anyone who has had a bad experience with it. All i can see is the attitude of a bunch of jumped up nobodies who are too good to do a days work.

If you have been let go from your job and know that you have been replaced by a job bridge applicant...report it. If you havent reported it theres something wrong with you.

As for the opportunity to train as a teacher...I did it through the cao, i didnt buy my way into it. I got "the opportunity" the same way you did, whether you chose to take the opportunity or not is your choice. I wasnt given it, i worked for it.

And it doesnt matter whether im kept on after the 6 months. I have been given the opportunity to develop more new skills and use them. Im 10 times more employable than i was before i came in

El Gato wrote: »
    Every time you post, it is the exception to the rule......

Im not the exception, i have 4 friends that have done jobbridge and 3 of them are in full time employment after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

wow,

So im the only person who is having a good experience with these schemes. Used to be a teacher...hated it. Drove a van doing deliveries for 3 years, then my body couldnt take the beating anymore so had to leave.

Now im an intern in a Financial Services and Accounting firm. Learning about an industry that I had absolutely no experience in. Im getting experience that money cant buy and hopefully il be kept on when my time is up. I get on well with everyone else here and im confident that if the money is there i will be kept on.

If its not, i will have experience and will be far more employable in this sector. I can guarantee its the same people that are sitting at home moaning about this that refuse to re-train or upskill.

So shut ur moan holes!

I finished a CE scheme a while ago , while on it I was able to access funding to allow me to go to UCD ,study drugs counselling and get the academic end completed .I was able to access funding through FAS and a scholarship fund.
    While not working fulltime , I am able now to get fairly regular sessional/casual work.

I do of course see the faults in the Jobsbridge scheme and maybe more accountabilty between the DSP and employers might be needed.

A good example is my friend. He did graphic design and started in a jobbridge position, during which he met a good few people from that industry. He was offer a job in design after his 6 months by a friend of the guy he was working for. The guy who he was working for couldnt afford to pay him a salary.

This is another problem I see with jobbridge. Some businesses taking on internships when they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford the salary. Propping up unfeasible businesses in a recession by providing free labour isn't going to teach them how to be cost effective or profitable.

Im sorry but i havent read the full thread. I havent seen anyone who has had a bad experience with it. All i can see is the attitude of a bunch of jumped up nobodies who are too good to do a days work.

Maybe you should read the full thread before jumping in with obnoxious opinionated statements. Not one of the posters said anything about being 'too good to do a days work'.
    If you have been let go from your job and know that you have been replaced by a job bridge applicant...report it. If you havent reported it theres something wrong with you.

I NEVER said I was let go from any of the internships I did, nor did I say I was replaced by a scambridge 'intern'. My internships were FULLY PAID and fixed. Each internship I did dealt with a different aspect of my honors degree in my chosen field...again obnoxious statement regarding something wrong with me...you really need to have a little more respect for people

As for the opportunity to train as a teacher...I did it through the cao, i didnt buy my way into it. I got "the opportunity" the same way you did, whether you chose to take the opportunity or not is your choice. I wasnt given it, i worked for it.

Again, NEVER did I say you bought your way into it, nor did I infer that you did. As with everything in my life I worked for it also. Obviously I DID take the opportunity (maybe you should read before you reply) but you are perpetuating the scam but robbing recent grads of the opportunity you already had ...

And it doesnt matter whether im kept on after the 6 months. I have been given the opportunity to develop more new skills and use them. Im 10 times more employable than i was before i came in

Again, it shows you miss the point of this whole thread.....the complaint is that the majority of the employers are exploiting the scheme with no intention of making the intern permanent, and that the majority of internships advertised are not and should not be classified as such.

Oh yes, I can see that a fresh grad stacking shelves for 6 months will be equally 10 time more employable when they move to the next role

Im not the exception, i have 4 friends that have done jobbridge and 3 of them are in full time employment after it.

Wow, that really is the exception ...... 75% success rate?

That's even better than the gov't figures...atta boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Can I just say, you sound ridiculous.

Unless the job you are in provides you with a very wide set of new skills, things that you have used to the point of being excellent at them you are not 10 times more anything, except maybe deluded.

The point of the internship is to get formal/informal training in a job, along with mentoring. I can agree that sometimes the role itself does turn out well, the company might have a real need or want for someone, but dont want to pay them to be trained in. It does work in some small cases, but the big problem is that its not very well monitored.

The internship system in the states lets you go to a company and work for free or very little to get valuable expereince in an industry that you would need to hit the ground running. I would love you to tell me how a tesco shelf stacker, pub workers, industrial office cleaner, banquet staff etc would be doing well to get 9 months of work. I can agree that they will get experience, but its work that can be done easily and well within a few weeks.

I have said it before, min wage jobs should not be internships, neither should unskilled roles. There are some cases where an internship is suited to, where the person will get valuable experience, but mist roles there are the basic roles of office admin or something that doesnt require a lot to do, and is essentially just putting a waged job out of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ya do ur "shelf stacking"...its a foot in the door. The problem is, when people do their "shelf stacking", they couldnt give a flyin fúck about anything work related. If shelf stacking is the job you want to get into, why not? Get your foot in the door.

The issue is people go around with their heads up their arsés and cant see a shelf that needs to be stacked. If you stack selves and you need to be told what to do, or told to actually stack the shelves instead of standing around chatting, your probably not going to be called back after your 6 months.

Most peoples reaction is "sure its only a shelf, it will get stacked....eventually" do what your there to do and there wont be a problem, if you want a job stacking selves and your in on a job reach or whatever, stack that dawm shelf better than anyone else.

I don't know what shops you go into but they are definitely different to the ones I go into. You seem to go to shops with a concentration of sub-standard shelf stockers, you need to find a new shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Seriously IK09, if you're going to talk down and insult the people here complaining about Jobbridge maybe you should actually read the thread and see what we're complaining about because you're just coming across as obnoxious right now.

You're lucky enough to be in an internship being done the right way. Pretty much every single complaint in this thread has been about how often and easily abused this scheme is. 9 month internships in low/un-skilled positions is nothing but free labour for businesses, a manipulation of unemployment figures for the government, and a big middle finger to many people trying to get off the dole. And if you still think we all just want to sit around moaning then yes, sir, you are indeed missing the point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

All the deli ones etc, the mind boggles. There is no way they would not be hiring somebody for the 40 hour week job in a fecking shop anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

trouble is there shouldn't be any works allowed to be advertised on this scheme where person will be able to grasp concept in weeks time and gain all needed skills.
    Scheme should be redone that only those employers who will honestly train staff and invest time and money into them gaining skills that should be able to use internship scheme,but not a parade for dying business who cant afford to hire someone or keep person in work because its easier to take on couple free workers and push them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

^^ Username-post combo win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

IK09 - would you do an intern-ship in a car wash? One of the more blatant abusers I've seen.

I'm also a success story for Jobbridge - I broke into a new field and secured a job with the same company (expanding, before some idiot ignorantly says I'm stealing somebody else's job). It also helped immensely that my employer actually gives the process the attention it needs for it to be a success for both employer and employee.

That said, I sure as **** would not do 90% of the Jobbridge positions currently advertised. I chose with care, in order to get what I wanted out of it. I'm of the opinion that for every decent opportunity on JB there are 8 more taking the piss.

But, and its a big but, no body is forcing anybody to do any of these piss-take jobs. Don't like it? Don't do it.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Heres another case for which I dont think this scheme was intended for Hairdresser
    Education Requirements:

Leaving Certificate Ordinary -

Sorry but this is an entry level job that they should be paying someone min wage for. I know if they were to work with their local PLC college they would get a person who is trained but needs experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I am doing a Job Bridge with a County Council, which I am quite enjoying and will look good on a C.V, but was basically told after the second week that I did not have a f**king chance of getting hired at the end of it, even though the department is very understaffed, but with the hiring moratorium, they can only take on interns.

This to me is completely ridiculous, they are replacing trained and experienced staff that have either retired or left, with in most cases a revolving door of people whom have no prior experience or a clue of the job for free, when they could be giving people actual full time jobs. I count myself lucky with the one I am doing, I know friends with horror stories about theirs, but it is a bit disheartening and unmotivational to know your doing something that you do not have a chance being kept on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Xenji wrote: »
    I am doing a Job Bridge with a County Council, which I am quite enjoying and will look good on a C.V, but was basically told after the second week that I did not have a f**king chance of getting hired at the end of it, even though the department is very understaffed, but with the hiring moratorium, they can only take on interns.

This to me is completely ridiculous, they are replacing trained and experienced staff that have either retired or left, with in most cases a revolving door of people whom have no prior experience or a clue of the job for free, when they could be giving people actual full time jobs. I count myself lucky with the one I am doing, I know friends with horror stories about theirs, but it is a bit disheartening and unmotivational to know your doing something that you do not have a chance being kept on for.

Xenji, I'm in the same position. I'm on a Jobbridge with an organisation that's subject to the moratorium. There is no job at the end of the contract. If there is meant to be a possibility of a job at the end of it, why allow anywhere that's subject to the moratorium to be part of the scheme? In reality it's allowing Civil Service and semi state to plug gaps to keep going.

Like you, I'm enjoying what I'm doing and it's keeping me work active as well as getting my toe in the door. If and when the moratorium is lifted I hope to have a head start when recruitment starts again.

http://www.thejournal.ie/joan-burton-jobbridge-companies-banned-986074-Jul2013/

Just proves the point of this thread and only pressure got this outcome

Er, am.....where is IK09?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

An easy way around the embargo is contract work. Of course it suits to have no one suggest that though. Why not bring it up whrn your ps employer says they'd love to take you on only for the embargo...?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Lads, i said It from the very start. Jobbridge is keeping people out of work and until the government recognises this the system will be abused.

I know myself a couple of cases where the employer is using job bridge as free labour through conversations i have had with a few people. To be honest you cant blame small businesses who are offered this as it is in essence a free worker. It is the government who are the problem as it does not seem to be vetted properly. Every company on a jobbridge scheme that is exploiting workers needs to be reported and it should be followed through until the company are banned from participating in the scheme. This will be the only way to weed out the employers who are taking the p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Gongoozler wrote: »
    An easy way around the embargo is contract work. Of course it suits to have no one suggest that though. Why not bring it up whrn your ps employer says they'd love to take you on only for the embargo...?

Employment law is a load of sh%te, companys take no notice these days unless it suits them. Contract work is the solution to the PS embargo but like you said, why would this be suggested if you can get fools to work for free. I am currently doing a 30 day work placement through the course i completed and its actually soul destroying when everyone around you is on full wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Job Bridge, it is a scandal. Companies like Tesco, who make hundreds of millions in profit every year, and don't have to declare their accounts to the Irish exchequer, hiring shelf stackers as basically free labour, whilst that free labour is paid a pittance by the government. It's exploitation, plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I know that it isn't ideal and agree that some of the larger companies should be ashamed of themselves but on the other hand, these 'jobs' do give some people a chance to get into the work place and get experience. A potential employer will usually favour someone who has filled their cv with voluntary work or a jobbridge placement rather than a big blank space.

Advertisement