Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

We should have a list of shame posted up.

i dont have a facebook page, but thats an excellent idea. a facebook page with all the most odious and expoitive jobs. someone do this please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

zerks wrote: »

You need a Safe Pass card first and foremost and then you need a valid ticket to work on any machinery, as you said so much wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Xenji wrote: »
    You need a Safe Pass card first and foremost and then you need a valid ticket to work on any machinery, as you said so much wrong with that.

Exactly & these aren't cheap to obtain,I seriously doubt any employer is going to fork out that kind of money on an intern.As you say,a Safepass card is the bare minimum you need to set foot on a site,that costs an average of €95 for the course.
    3 day course needed now for plant training.A one day course for those who have validated experience is roughly €380.

That ad is bollix.

• Advertisement

SOME Internships are good value in that they give valuable experience to newly qualified people. Unfortunately the vast majority of these JobBridge ones are worthless to the intern. In theory, they were a good idea, but are now being used by companies as a source of free labour. I would strongly agree with publiscising those guilty of such abuses. A strongly worded letter to both Joan Burton and my local FG TD, have yeet to be answered. I don't have much time, either for the posturing of the "Scambridge" group. Their leaders have not come up with any crediable solutions to the Countrys ills. They are just using the JobBridge schemes for their own ends and really don't care too much about those who take places on these internships.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭weisses

double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zerks wrote: »
    Exactly & these aren't cheap to obtain,I seriously doubt any employer is going to fork out that kind of money on an intern.As you say,a Safepass card is the bare minimum you need to set foot on a site,that costs an average of €95 for the course.
    3 day course needed now for plant training.A one day course for those who have validated experience is roughly €380.

That ad is bollix.

Nice slave labour info gathering anonymous email too . generaloperativecv@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

SOME Internships are good value in that they give valuable experience to newly qualified people. Unfortunately the vast majority of these JobBridge ones are worthless to the intern. In theory, they were a good idea, but are now being used by companies as a source of free labour. I would strongly agree with publiscising those guilty of such abuses. A strongly worded letter to both Joan Burton and my local FG TD, have yeet to be answered. I don't have much time, either for the posturing of the "Scambridge" group. Their leaders have not come up with any crediable solutions to the Countrys ills. They are just using the JobBridge schemes for their own ends and really don't care too much about those who take places on these internships.

It's not about solutions though for most that hate jobbridge it's about closing these clear scam for free labor internships so they actually have to pay people for their work. Should close all the other made up internship programs too. And leave the ones that are actually designed for a newly qualified college grad to get a foot in the door experience. There should be a centralised site setup and employers should have to engage with that agency in relation to providing a position. Clear checks and balances used to make sure it’s actually providing experience for the relevant intern. That way an out of work I.T professional will not end up being forced to clean cars for €50 extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Friend of mine lost his job recently, he was not the only one, about 20 people lost jobs, others were made to quit. Turns out this is a company who is using job bridge , he now has to go to a meeting to accept a job bridge position or his benefits are cut. So now he has to go work at half the wage thanks to the system that made him loose his job !!

I thought jobbridge was voluntary?
    You applied for the jobbridge on fas like any other job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Yes, if you don't voluntarily go to it your benefit is cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Also there are fewer and fewer real paying jobs thanks to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

ivytwine wrote: »
    Also there are fewer and fewer real paying jobs thanks to this.

yeah i know,
    FAS site, jobbridge,jobbridge,jobbridge,CE scheme, CE scheme ,jobbridge,CE shceme, jobbridge,jobbridge, paid job(not qualified), jobbridge,CE scheme,CE scheme,jobbridge, jobbridge,jobbridge,jobbridge,CE scheme,CE scheme,jobbridge,jobbridge. ALL DAY LONG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That ad needs to be reported to the Health & Safety Authority to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...he now has to go to a meeting to accept a job bridge position or his benefits are cut...

I didn't know Job Bridge positions were compulsory.

Genealogy Forum Mod

When did he loss his job?

I dont want to get into it too much on here and i am just going to wait to see how he gets on tomorrow. From his understanding, his company were all over jobbridge when they heard about it, their turnover in staff then went through the roof. Will wait and see what happens .

I dont want to get into it too much on here and i am just going to wait to see how he gets on tomorrow. From his understanding, his company were all over jobbridge when they heard about it, their turnover in staff then went through the roof. Will wait and see what happens .

Do you know roughly how many workers were employed by the company before they started taking on interns from the scheme?

If this is fact, then they are breaking the rules and should be made accountable. Saying or doing nothing means it only continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Beekay wrote: »
    Went for an interview for a jobbridge internship. I'm only starting out in Web design/development so looking to get some real world experience where I can learn.

This company is not involved with Web design/development. They basically just want me to re-design their website.
    There will be no mentor and no chance at a permanent position.
    I feel I can do the job alone anyway.
    I don't want to see them get free labour but it would be good for the cv I think. This could be a real job,temporary but real.

Had another interview today. Was basically the same kind of work needed, they have a site think it needs to look better although they do have others ideas which at the moment are outside of my capabilities.

They do accept that I would be learning while on the job but again there is no mentor or anybody within the company that does the anything got to do with Web development.

This position is so far away it would actually cost me to work there which wouldn't bother me if they were looking to train me and provided mentoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thats just insane. So thats the new scam with JobsBridge now.
    If your business needs something... heck, even if the walls need painting. Why pay a painter. Just put up an 'painting internship' !?

Had another interview today. Was basically the same kind of work needed, they have a site think it needs to look better although they do have others ideas which at the moment are outside of my capabilities.

They do accept that I would be learning while on the job but again there is no mentor or anybody within the company that does the anything got to do with Web development.

This position is so far away it would actually cost me to work there which wouldn't bother me if they were looking to train me and provided mentoring.

Please report these companies. They are just taking in unrelated professions to close out gaps for themselves at 50 euro a week. This is directly taking employment away from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Please report these companies. They are just taking in unrelated professions to close out gaps for themselves at 50 euro a week. This is directly taking employment away from people.

They ain't paying the €50, the state is, so plugging their gaps is going to cost them nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Who do you report them to?

I'm stuck in a difficult situation though. If they had to pay me they probably wouldn't hire me due to my lack of experience. But at the moment it seems these jobbridge positions are my only road back into the workplace

I'm stuck in a difficult situation though. If they had to pay me they probably wouldn't hire me due to my lack of experience. But at the moment it seems these jobbridge positions are my only road back into the workplace

Report them to jobbridge for a start.

They wont hire you because they can get someone to do the work for free on jobbridge, they still wont hire you with jobbridge experience because they will get an intern anyway. If you want experience go and do a website for a local charity.

Jobbridge positions like the ones you mention are a roadblock, not a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

We're in the same boat. I too am a recent graduate of web design.
    I'm sick of seeing so many internships listed and what paying jobs there are want you to know everything under the sun with years of experience. So we're stuck in a tough spot.

But theres an internship which could offer experience & then theres getting used. Both these companies are looking to use you. They want a website for free.

Prime Time tonight should be an interesting watch tonight.
    Its about getting the long term unemployed "working" for the local authority.
    I get a distinct whiff of a Jobsbridge type dealy off this :(
    Are they going to tell us that they will be offering proper jobs to the LTU?
    So people will be forced into taking these JOBS to keep their payment and then do a full days work along side people who are actually receiving a full wage for the same role?
    That would drive any sane person to crack tbh

Smidge wrote: »
    Prime Time tonight should be an interesting watch tonight.
    Its about getting the long term unemployed "working" for the local authority.
    I get a distinct whiff of a Jobsbridge type dealy off this :(
    Are they going to tell us that they will be offering proper jobs to the LTU?
    So people will be forced into taking these JOBS to keep their payment and then do a full days work along side people who are actually receiving a full wage for the same role?
    That would drive any sane person to crack tbh

They are doing this in Dublin already, but the people only get an extra €20 a week.

http://www.thejournal.ie/unemployed-local-authority-work-1326427-Feb2014/

They want to do this all around the country, so that would push the number of people on Activation Schemes to well over 100,000 and of course bring down the the live register figures even though these people are still in receipt of social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Starbordsie

Please report these companies. They are just taking in unrelated professions to close out gaps for themselves at 50 euro a week.

Reminder: the companies aren't even paying the extra 50 euro a week, the state is. Taking on an "intern" cost them nothing. :mad:

• Advertisement

They are doing this in Dublin already, but the people only get an extra €20 a week.

http://www.thejournal.ie/unemployed-local-authority-work-1326427-Feb2014/

They want to do this all around the country, so that would push the number of people on Activation Schemes to well over 100,000 and of course bring down the the live register figures even though these people are still in receipt of social welfare.

Its disgusting, that's what it is.
    It must be soul destroying for anyone who has to partake for €20 extra knowing that "Paddy" is doing the same job as you and getting a proper wage and benefits(ie stamps, holidays etc).
    I genuinely dont think that people realise how being unemployed can suck hope and self respect from a person.
    But this abomination??
    This is insult to injury

Advertisement