Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If the scheme was abolished there would still be 10,000 on the dole in Galway City. If the 119 placements available in Galway City were made into proper jobs and given to people on the dole there would still be 10,000 on the dole in Galway City. The problem in Galway City is that there are too few vacancies for the number of people unemployed.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=sjDArutve/3w53BLzNXooesjqRrGoX95L6zX310XQ+ZkPrjRXZfgnq9aCED/CBaEB7/EYciwt/RC+LOlNxs8UD9LAjj7M2Lo3u/cRXi0yliyP7RK7hJYFN5Gsp8+RANXSYBeOqEYtCqemWWEJdAziz9+vtGCYaMQMuy5jzXVd0sfV26ZiZV1AtDLuiMMZ4YdvvqI0PRMQpyMQ//ulCkhW+l4iceCn7/nTqJSqGeecF0WlrhRwEk5eHgVEeU55JZ3FjlbfsY6x8Zr8mG5jXdwAq4ciytM00z1ozmuvCrC6AlDERc1/IhNXmPFQtPl5ya2CldENQJlbk+Uzqd7NL6es8Y6o2CYS8exunaxVHAcK1blTRgFjpdv78sc1a+9cxH3A7CPFkuk3FFT58R567RGAg==

So its ok to take away the few jobs there are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Honestly i was trying to find a job this time last year and while it was difficult i can't believe the difference a year later. I ended up getting a part time job until after Christmas. Since then i have given up all hope of getting a paid job in my City. I would say about 25% of jobs were internships last year now it's about 60% i can't believe how exploited it has become. Normal part time jobs are now becoming internships. In fairness who can blame greedy employers the goverment is allowing them hire people for free so why wouldn't they do it.

What do you mean by part time? Jobbridge says the placements can't be for less than 30 hours a week.

How many hours do I have to work?
    A standard internship working week will range from 30-40 hours per week.
    Therefore an Intern will be required to participate on the Scheme for a minimum of 30
    hours and a maximum of 40 hours per week.

If the scheme was abolished there would still be 10,000 on the dole in Galway City. If the 119 placements available in Galway City were made into proper jobs and given to people on the dole there would still be 10,000 on the dole in Galway City. The problem in Galway City is that there are too few vacancies for the number of people unemployed.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=sjDArutve/3w53BLzNXooesjqRrGoX95L6zX310XQ+ZkPrjRXZfgnq9aCED/CBaEB7/EYciwt/RC+LOlNxs8UD9LAjj7M2Lo3u/cRXi0yliyP7RK7hJYFN5Gsp8+RANXSYBeOqEYtCqemWWEJdAziz9+vtGCYaMQMuy5jzXVd0sfV26ZiZV1AtDLuiMMZ4YdvvqI0PRMQpyMQ//ulCkhW+l4iceCn7/nTqJSqGeecF0WlrhRwEk5eHgVEeU55JZ3FjlbfsY6x8Zr8mG5jXdwAq4ciytM00z1ozmuvCrC6AlDERc1/IhNXmPFQtPl5ya2CldENQJlbk+Uzqd7NL6es8Y6o2CYS8exunaxVHAcK1blTRgFjpdv78sc1a+9cxH3A7CPFkuk3FFT58R567RGAg==

But there'd be 119 more people in employment than now which is better than having the government foot the bill for businesses exploiting the unemployed. It may be but a drop in the ocean but that's hardly an excuse to justify the scheme. There's no reason that Specsavers should be getting free labour, none at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

What do you mean by part time? Jobbridge says the placements can't be for less than 30 hours a week.

How many hours do I have to work?
    A standard internship working week will range from 30-40 hours per week.
    Therefore an Intern will be required to participate on the Scheme for a minimum of 30
    hours and a maximum of 40 hours per week.

I think what he means is that jobs that would normally have been part time positions employing a person for 20 to 30 hours per week are now being replaced by full time internships where the intern must work 40 hours per week.

Very easy to see how this can be taken advantage of by an employer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

What an opportunity! I wonder do they ever fill these positions?

http://www.jobsireland.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DONmqGT1t7nnZVVfgAiTxuP2VkwG1QTjcQLsEtuz+DeSYK8zIepQwZFr7kT3VZOPJ2uS/7qWyNmT1sB1zpoubawIPRzvcfY9+xWbxdaEO46ylcilW4QiWM5/xzW18AGEY3nOwCOZi0xEoZCHCyIq8addb3uN7gToImKSsxHKtFk8dLwQvCYEZEAXGIzdejoEtr/DWi9k8WPbMFUlq0tkPCzUtifWqRofo4m7iHeVxI9/YhslHEDcVMURpxCDoS+fXrbWenC5iJiiw315fxe5NGkOwMq7MxHNwDaQPv/0+G6yk/VMniOPLKPcb9Sa/IVfcyyCywI3sA2LaiNgYJC9gldO4zKLyLvqS+EUT0YkmzBvCi/HFdI3mx7ddgAUDnYUtRe4Q2NQcu9uXkRtIL6Gs5Pzj5uWglv0PSFtQEpqzfjStoIiuZOmaRQ=
    Deli Assistant

Based in RAHENY Ref. INTE-837854
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in preparation of hot and cold food, customer service. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following Food hygiene, HACCP best practices, food preparation. On completion the intern will have attained skills in customer interaction from a service point of view, food handling using the correct techniques, stock control and communication skills.

Skills Requirements
    Must have good command of the English language.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department
    Deli

Mentor
    The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Duration
    9 Months

Number of Positions

Contract Type
    Other

Days, Hours & Start Date
    Days per week: To be Advised
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 39
    Start Date: TBC

Experience Required:
    No Experience Required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

So they take an intern on full-time where they would have hired someone for part-time work. The full-time rule is hardly an obstacle!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Just had a look at the positions in Galway and the following jumped out. A internship as a sales assistant in Specsavers, Web Developers for Hewlett Packard, Sales assistant in Charlie Byrnes, multiple coffee shop assistant roles, online marketing roles which seem to amount to little more than setting up and running a facebook page, multiple receptionist and sales assistant roles in business that can easily afford to hire staff. Of all the internships on offer there's not one that should be up there.

Ah, I remember back during the glory days when the places I worked couldn't get people. When I was hired in my IT job in Galway, only three people went for two positions. Galway will always have massive unemployment because many there just don't want to work. And I'm not saying that's everybody and it's not indicative of other places in the country but Galways Bohemian, hipster, artsy community breeds acceptance for just getting by. There's a reason why people there call it the Graveyard of Ambition.

Also by the by. In a place as big as HP that's global, they would have a very lengthy and crappy hiring\onboarding\appovals blah blah to go through. Also much of what they do is kind of sub-projects and services, in the big scheme of things they likely don't have much sway when it comes to being allowed to just hire as needed. Web Development is a skill, you will learn to develop from a unique perspective with unique needs and have the name of one of the largest tech companies in the world on your CV. It's a great internship to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Probably not and that is why there are thousands of unfilled places. Despite some claims here that people are being forced to apply for them.

Has it not come to the point on this thread where people should realise that posting details of individual placements so that in some cases they can have a rant at them is not adding much to the discussion. The nature of Jobbridge is well known at this stage.

Are you seriously criticizing others for not adding to the discussion? Pointing out the ridiculous nature of the internships is a lot more relevant than just cutting and pasting numbers from a report and saying 'there would still be loads on the dole if the scheme was abolished', which is all you've done. We all know that abolishing the scheme would not solve everything, but in any case there should not be a government sanctioned program to allow every kind of business from local pubs to big corporations to replace full time workers with unpaid slaves, with the ultimate goal of fiddling the official figures. This government is allowing its citizens to be enslaved to support their lies about how the economy has improved immensely under their watch, when it hasn't.

When people are working and have income, they spend more and spend locally. An extra hundred people working means a lot to the local economy. Under no circumstance should a government be giving businesses the option of free labor, and certainly not in times of rampant unemployment.

I would like to ask you again, do you defend the scheme for any other reason than you support fine gael? Can you please explain, without saying 'oh it's only 6500 people or some other non-answer. Please tell us why this scheme is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

JobBridge isn't just giving businesses 'free jobs', it's government indirectly subsidizing business, by paying workers to do internships, when they should be getting paid wages by the business - so people aren't just defending cheap labour, they're defending a massive subsidy aimed at business, that puts workers out of pocket of the full wage they should be entitled to by the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

what ever happened to "A fair day's wage for a fair day's work"?? oh how Labour parties have changed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My bf recently left his job.

He's been on the dole for one month. Already, he's receiving letters and has been called to a meeting about jb. He has been handed internship specs about office assisant work.

He's a graduate with 15 years of work exp, 5 in high end management.

Fcuk sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

So do I have this right? Say I have 10 years experience in my field (IT, engineering etc) and Im made redundant and have to go on the dole. Am I genuinely expected to accept ANY jobbridge scheme like washing cars or working in a deli or can you refuse based on your years of experience and only apply for jobs/internships where your experience is actually required, seeing as there are lots of skilled jobbridge positions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

So do I have this right? Say I have 10 years experience in my field (IT, engineering etc) and Im made redundant and have to go on the dole. Am I genuinely expected to accept ANY jobbridge scheme like washing cars or working in a deli or can you refuse based on your years of experience and only apply for jobs/internships where your experience is actually required, seeing as there are lots of skilled jobbridge positions?

Well, my bf was given internship specs for fairly unskilled work, and told his dole would be cut if he didn't apply for them once he hit the 3 months needed to apply for them.

Needless to say, he made it clear he won't be applying for those types of internships.

They did the same when I was on the dole for 4 months, all unskilled work, when I'm also a graduate with a decent work exp. I refused to even apply for anything that wouldn't help me to upskill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Ah, I remember back during the glory days when the places I worked couldn't get people. When I was hired in my IT job in Galway, only three people went for two positions. Galway will always have massive unemployment because many there just don't want to work. And I'm not saying that's everybody and it's not indicative of other places in the country but Galways Bohemian, hipster, artsy community breeds acceptance for just getting by. There's a reason why people there call it the Graveyard of Ambition.

Also by the by. In a place as big as HP that's global, they would have a very lengthy and crappy hiring\onboarding\appovals blah blah to go through. Also much of what they do is kind of sub-projects and services, in the big scheme of things they likely don't have much sway when it comes to being allowed to just hire as needed. Web Development is a skill, you will learn to develop from a unique perspective with unique needs and have the name of one of the largest tech companies in the world on your CV. It's a great internship to do.

You have to remember that anyone who wanted work in the "Glory Days" got work there weren't many people out of work who wanted to be out of work it was only people looking to move that applied for jobs.

To put that into perspective I recently applied for a software engineering job in Galway and there were 140 applicants for about 5 positions.

You can't compare the jobs market between than and now.

does any dept. police these internships? or is it up to the intern to report the company if they feel they are being exploited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

gambit83 wrote: »
    does any dept. police these internships? or is it up to the intern to report the company if they feel they are being exploited?

On the internship I was on,a lady from Social Welfare came in for a private meeting and asked was everything ok with it so far and if any problems or questions to give her a call.

and regarding the actual positions that are advertised, does anyone dept. check the jobs and check what the intern is being trained on?? from looking at some of the jobs that were posted in the previous pages, with all due respect some don't look like they need 9 months training

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

and regarding the actual positions that are advertised, does anyone dept. check the jobs and check what the intern is being trained on?? from looking at some of the jobs that were posted in the previous pages, with all due respect some don't look like they need 9 months training

I can only comment on the internship I was on but yes I was asked was the training advertised being provided to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not really, we have never had anyone come in checking on interns till they are in their last month and that is only because they have to sign a form that a member of FAS brings in and they get asked how they felt the internship went. I have never seen anyone or had any contact from the DSP, it has always been FAS, as far as I know they have nothing to do with the scheme, well that might just be my area, also the monthly attendance forms are sent to FAS.

Xenji wrote: »
    Not really, we have never had anyone come in checking on interns till they are in their last month and that is only because they have to sign a form that a member of FAS brings in and they get asked how they felt the internship went. I have never seen anyone or had any contact from the DSP, it has always been FAS, as far as I know they have nothing to do with the scheme, well that might just be my area, also the monthly attendance forms are sent to FAS.
    Arent DSP and FAS/Solan the same now? In our area, they work from the same offices now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Arent DSP and FAS/Solan the same now? In our area, they work from the same offices now.

I think so, they are all moving into the same office here now as well, so it will be interesting to see what happens when the next intern finishes, as it stands the forms still go to the same place for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

The scheme isn't something that I had considered much of while I was in the middle of my degree and what not, but I am more or less finished university now and my perfect internship popped up on Jobbridge, I mean the perfect CV building stuff in my area and I don't qualify because I was a student and not allowed the certain benefits that are needed. So now I have to go on the jobseekers benefits and hope that this one in a million internship pops up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Technically They cant offer you low skilled labour if you are an IT grad and so on. But any forms they send you go on about age, location, fitness blaah blah. Trying to make out that you have to accept any job/Internship. The Dole office have quotas I assume to get people onto anything to get the figures down. They do threaten this and that but as far as I am aware you can make a complaint if the work/internship is not suitable. And then listen to the guy trying to explain to his supervisor how stacking shelves will help a person say like you with 10 years IT related skills. They try to keep all this a grey area when really it is not. Even on the dole you have rights. Technically they are supposed to help you get work in your field of expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what ever happened to "A fair day's wage for a fair day's work"?? oh how Labour parties have changed!!
    Funny that they themselves are getting an outrageous days pay for very little work! They will also be getting an outrageous pensions for potentially decades, for no work!!! Out of all the hypocrites in government, they are the worst IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Probably not and that is why there are thousands of unfilled places. Despite some claims here that people are being forced to apply for them.

Has it not come to the point on this thread where people should realise that posting details of individual placements so that in some cases they can have a rant at them is not adding much to the discussion. The nature of Jobbridge is well known at this stage.

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=sjDArutve/3w53BLzNXooesjqRrGoX95L6zX310XQ+ZkPrjRXZfgnq9aCED/CBaEB7/EYciwt/RC+LOlNxs8UD9LAjj7M2Lo3u/cRXi0yliyP7RK7hJYFN5Gsp8+RANXSYBeOqEYtCqemWWEJdAziz9+vtGCYaMQMuy5jzXVd0sfV26ZiZV1AtDLuiMMZ4YdvvqI0PRMQpyMQ//ulCkhW+l4iceCn7/nTqJSqGeecF0WlrhRwEk5eHgVEeU55JZ3FjlbfsY6x8Zr8mG5jXdwAq4ciytM00z1ozmuvCrC6AlDERc1/IhNXmPFQtPl5ya2CldENQJlbk+Uzqd7NL6es1Vlm8iAv1ZYTpNiFYZMVmfCUke9XADAB29tPMnjC1/Ec1CIEEHC9kYcLKGAdDs+yA==

Obviously you have no idea how this works at all. You get called in for a meeting and they look at your C.V and areas you could work in. Then they send out your C.V to a load of intern jobs. Then you get a letter saying thank you for your application we can't wait to see you for an interview for some job you don't even know about.

I turned up to an interview one day and literally had no idea what the job was about. I expected it to be a finance related instead it was basically being a groundskeeper for a local football club and with no mentor. I have had interviews for good finance jobs that were easy in comparison to this groundskeepers job with three men talking to me for 20 minutes about the history of the club.

You get a call back in after about three months to come back and ask why you haven't got employment. You get told it doesn't look good and you should take anything you were given. Then i went for an interview for a theatre which was only 20 hours a week. It was basically standing behind a desk selling tickets for shows. It was said in the interview i had to work 5 hours a day on Saturdays and it changed from morning work one week to evening work the next Saturday as it was their busiest day. I told them in the interview that Saturday did not suit me as i played football and snooker competitions on Saturdays. I tried to mess up the interview but no luck i got a phonecall saying i got it.

I called into FAS for a meeting and told my supposed mentor i did not want this job. I told him i would do twenty hours midweek but not giving up my Saturdays for an internship. I explained i would miss snooker, soccer and also have to give up my Saturday nights for an internship which did not help my Finance degree. He explained everybody who worked their had to deal with this and i argued that yes people who are getting a wage should be doing weekend work. It ended with him telling me if i refused this job he would report it to the social welfare and it would be very likely i would get cut money.

Luckily a friend got me part time work for a few months and i got out of this. I went in as a finance graduate with an open mind on getting experience. The interviews i got were a groundskeeper, working behind a desk in a library and a theatre. When i suggested i was unhappy i was threatened i would be cut. Until you are in the situation you have no idea that are being forced to apply for them. It's worse your not actually forced they apply for them without asking you and then try force you into taking interships you have no interest in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Obviously you have no idea how this works at all. You get called in for a meeting and they look at your C.V and areas you could work in. Then they send out your C.V to a load of intern jobs. Then you get a letter saying thank you for your application we can't wait to see you for an interview for some job you don't even know about.

I turned up to an interview one day and literally had no idea what the job was about. I expected it to be a finance related instead it was basically being a groundskeeper for a local football club and with no mentor. I have had interviews for good finance jobs that were easy in comparison to this groundskeepers job with three men talking to me for 20 minutes about the history of the club.

You get a call back in after about three months to come back and ask why you haven't got employment. You get told it doesn't look good and you should take anything you were given. Then i went for an interview for a theatre which was only 20 hours a week. It was basically standing behind a desk selling tickets for shows. It was said in the interview i had to work 5 hours a day on Saturdays and it changed from morning work one week to evening work the next Saturday as it was their busiest day. I told them in the interview that Saturday did not suit me as i played football and snooker competitions on Saturdays. I tried to mess up the interview but no luck i got a phonecall saying i got it.

I called into FAS for a meeting and told my supposed mentor i did not want this job. I told him i would do twenty hours midweek but not giving up my Saturdays for an internship. I explained i would miss snooker, soccer and also have to give up my Saturday nights for an internship which did not help my Finance degree. He explained everybody who worked their had to deal with this and i argued that yes people who are getting a wage should be doing weekend work. It ended with him telling me if i refused this job he would report it to the social welfare and it would be very likely i would get cut money.

Luckily a friend got me part time work for a few months and i got out of this. I went in as a finance graduate with an open mind on getting experience. The interviews i got were a groundskeeper, working behind a desk in a library and a theatre. When i suggested i was unhappy i was threatened i would be cut. Until you are in the situation you have no idea that are being forced to apply for them. It's worse your not actually forced they apply for them without asking you and then try force you into taking interships you have no interest in.

I feel so so sick reading this. Is this what I'm up against.

They have recently started to pick on me. Got called in, told me to ask employers to take me on under the jobbridge scheme and you know what if im forced to do something, I'd rather enjoy the work even if its meant to be a voluntary scheme as in they don't force people onto them ???. I contacted employers asking for a slaveship but nothing going.

My plan is to go to England, but financially, I'm looking at August before I can go. But if I have these cnuts on my back, what can I do but play along with them until then. They were going to force me into a soul destroying course last week until I stood my ground. They were meant to help you and I hadn't choice in the course. I found a course I would genuinely be interested in, and its a week long! But if its shuts them up and they're paying for it. But anything longer, and how am I meant to attend for interviews in England. They're actually getting in the way of people actually going for real jobs.

I'm absolutely fed up with the bullies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Just so I understand this - Jobbridge schemes are unpaid ??

just the dole money ?

And how long are you supposed to work for free ?

Advertisement