Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

the_monkey wrote: »
    Just so I understand this - Jobbridge schemes are unpaid ??

just the dole money ?

And how long are you supposed to work for free ?

generally 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

just the dole money ?

It's not free it's just less than they should be getting.

Free to the mployer of course bar overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

just the dole money ?

You get an extra €50 a week on top of what you are getting on the Dole, this is paid by the DSP and not the host organisation, they pay nothing and get a free worker, they are under no obligation to hire the intern at the end of his internship and can hire a new intern the day the previous intern leaves if they wish.

The minimum length for an internship is 6 months and the maximum is 9 months, you can do three 6 month internships or two 9 month internships, but they have to be with different host organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What happens if an intern leaves early (of their own volition)?

osarusan wrote: »
    What happens if an intern leaves early (of their own volition)?

Nothing except for the DSP hounding you about doing another one, but the time they did on the internship will be taken away from the 18 months of internships you can do, so if they stayed for 4 months and then decided to give it another try and did a 9 month one, you could not do any more internships, unless they extend the number of months again.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Obviously you have no idea how this works at all. You get called in for a meeting and they look at your C.V and areas you could work in. Then they send out your C.V to a load of intern jobs. Then you get a letter saying thank you for your application we can't wait to see you for an interview for some job you don't even know about.

I turned up to an interview one day and literally had no idea what the job was about. I expected it to be a finance related instead it was basically being a groundskeeper for a local football club and with no mentor. I have had interviews for good finance jobs that were easy in comparison to this groundskeepers job with three men talking to me for 20 minutes about the history of the club.

You get a call back in after about three months to come back and ask why you haven't got employment. You get told it doesn't look good and you should take anything you were given. Then i went for an interview for a theatre which was only 20 hours a week. It was basically standing behind a desk selling tickets for shows. It was said in the interview i had to work 5 hours a day on Saturdays and it changed from morning work one week to evening work the next Saturday as it was their busiest day. I told them in the interview that Saturday did not suit me as i played football and snooker competitions on Saturdays. I tried to mess up the interview but no luck i got a phonecall saying i got it.

I called into FAS for a meeting and told my supposed mentor i did not want this job. I told him i would do twenty hours midweek but not giving up my Saturdays for an internship. I explained i would miss snooker, soccer and also have to give up my Saturday nights for an internship which did not help my Finance degree. He explained everybody who worked their had to deal with this and i argued that yes people who are getting a wage should be doing weekend work. It ended with him telling me if i refused this job he would report it to the social welfare and it would be very likely i would get cut money.

Luckily a friend got me part time work for a few months and i got out of this. I went in as a finance graduate with an open mind on getting experience. The interviews i got were a groundskeeper, working behind a desk in a library and a theatre. When i suggested i was unhappy i was threatened i would be cut. Until you are in the situation you have no idea that are being forced to apply for them. It's worse your not actually forced they apply for them without asking you and then try force you into taking interships you have no interest in.

Friend is working in a theatre company found terry much what you wrote about. He spends his days sitting behind a desk selling tickets and getting lunch for the four paid staff. It's not unusual for him to be rang at 6 pm on his day off and told that he needs to be in the theatre for 6:30. Some weeks he'll work 50-60 hours and when fe complained to FAS and the DSP about this he was told that if he failed to show up when called his payment would be affected. They told him it bodes well that he's asked to work so many extra hours and how there must be a job for him in 9 months time even though the company made it clear during the interview that they would not be keeping him on after the internship as they only have enough money to pay the 5 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Friend is working in a theatre company found terry much what you wrote about. He spends his days sitting behind a desk selling tickets and getting lunch for the four paid staff. It's not unusual for him to be rang at 6 pm on his day off and told that he needs to be in the theatre for 6:30. Some weeks he'll work 50-60 hours and when fe complained to FAS and the DSP about this he was told that if he failed to show up when called his payment would be affected. They told him it bodes well that he's asked to work so many extra hours and how there must be a job for him in 9 months time even though the company made it clear during the interview that they would not be keeping him on after the internship as they only have enough money to pay the 5 of them.

Find that hard to believe to be honest. If it is true he should be robbing the place blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

i had a great time in my Jobsbridge.

Was a network admin+IT tech for an organisation.

9 months in a fantastic work environment, 9 months of real world job experience to stick on a C.V.

Got an actual job afterwards due to this.

Great because i have all the know how, but no degree (couldn't handle college).

So it's not a loss for everyone that does it.

truedoom wrote: »
    i had a great time in my Jobsbridge.

Was a network admin+IT tech for an organisation.

9 months in a fantastic work environment, 9 months of real world job experience to stick on a C.V.

Got an actual job afterwards due to this.

Great because i have all the know how, but no degree (couldn't handle college).

So it's not a loss for everyone that does it.

It is great when you hear success stories, but they are few and far between, but if it is not a mickey mouse internship even if you do not get hired it will look good on your CV.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Find that hard to believe to be honest. If it is true he should be robbing the place blind.

You find it hard to believe that businesses who won't pay staff and instead exploit the unemployed wouldn't be a good place to work? Last week my friend worked 52 hours. Now about 40 of that involved him sitting behind a desk reading magazines but he'd still have been better off out looking for a job or learning new skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You find it hard to believe that businesses who won't pay staff and instead exploit the unemployed wouldn't be a good place to work? Last week my friend worked 52 hours. Now about 40 of that involved him sitting behind a desk reading magazines but he'd still have been better off out looking for a job or learning new skills.

I was also told at the interview for the theatre company that i might need to work extra hours for a busy show. I asked ok so what is it €8.65 an hour for every hour over the 40 and they seem shocked i asked. They said no it is good experience to work under pressure.

At the groundskeeper job i was told about they have so many teams and members and i would need to meet up with managers midweek nights to make sure they are sorting out players fees etc. I asked how often he said most managers work so probably after 7 two or three times a week. I said to him can i not do this during work hours he explained it would not suit managers. I told him it would not suit me delaying or putting off hanging out with friends or plans with the girlfriend for out of hours work he seemed mad.

I really was surprised at the cheek of some of these people so i called them on it in interviews. On a TUS scheme where i was a secretary basically i was called in by the manager and told to cut back on water because i missed a call for being in the toilet. You make exceptions if you are getting a wage but not for working for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Does anyone know what happens if you dont take up any jobbridge position or take up a meaningless course?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The only thing i find hard to believe is your friend is doing this. He should get on to his mentor what they are doing is illegal and even further exploitation. They are breaking the rules and they should be banned from the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

You find it hard to believe that businesses who won't pay staff and instead exploit the unemployed wouldn't be a good place to work? Last week my friend worked 52 hours. Now about 40 of that involved him sitting behind a desk reading magazines but he'd sti have been better off out looking for a job or learning new skills.

That is a disgrace, shouldnt be allowed have people work over 39 hours per week. As i said I would be robbing that place blind if i was made do that by Fas.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I was also told at the interview for the theatre company that i might need to work extra hours for a busy show. I asked ok so what is it €8.65 an hour for every hour over the 40 and they seem shocked i asked. They said no it is good experience to work under pressure.

At the groundskeeper job i was told about they have so many teams and members and i would need to meet up with managers midweek nights to make sure they are sorting out players fees etc. I asked how often he said most managers work so probably after 7 two or three times a week. I said to him can i not do this during work hours he explained it would not suit managers. I told him it would not suit me delaying or putting off hanging out with friends or plans with the girlfriend for out of hours work he seemed mad.

I really was surprised at the cheek of some of these people so i called them on it in interviews. On a TUS scheme where i was a secretary basically i was called in by the manager and told to cut back on water because i missed a call for being in the toilet. You make exceptions if you are getting a wage but not for working for nothing.

It is actually against the rules for any host organisation to pay you any money while you are on the internship, the whole thing is geared towards the employer, not the intern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

If he was spending 40 hours sitting reading magazines, would he have not been better spending 40 hours studying for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Xenji wrote: »
    It is actually against the rules for any host organisation to pay you any money while you are on the internship, the whole thing is geared towards the employer, not the intern.

Isn't 40 hour per week the maximum one is to work an intern?

If the employees and interns in the theatre are been kept busy with overtime, surely the theatre must be making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If he was spending 40 hours sitting reading magazines, would he have not been better spending 40 hours studying for something?

Depends if he be allowed to.

If he's doing more hours than the agreed 30 to 40, then more fool him. Like any job, he has rights and needs to stand up for himself. Does he clock in and out? If not, he should take a note of times and if necessary get photographic evidence of times and dates. It's bad enough having to do these schemes, but taking abuse like that is way out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If he's doing more hours than the agreed 30 to 40, then more fool him.

This!

Genealogy Forum Mod

As I said in my post, he's complained to both FAS and DSP and was told show up or lose part of his payement. Neither organisation cares that the scheme is being abused, if they did then they'd be keeping a better eye on the internships listed on the site and following up with interns. Showing up in the final month to ask a few questions is ridiculous and shows how little they care about the interns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Does anyone know does the people in fas get bonuses for catching people out.

The employment officers in the UK do and im just wondering is it the same here.

Got called into fas. Was told that I should ask employers to take me on under the jobbridge scheme. Did this, nothing going.

Next thing, they were going to force me into a course. I hadn't a say or choice. A useless course that wouldnt benefit me.

I wasnt asked what my interests were or what I would like to do. Just forced into a course. A pointless, useless basic computer course. I stood my ground on this. There job is meant to help you and work out a plan of some sort. I hadn't any of this help. I intend on making a complaint on this person.

But from looking at my cv, would I have been a suitable candidate for a pointless course? I dont show up, get the dole cut and they get a bonus.

Is this the case in Ireland? I definately read something about the UK getting bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dartsplayer

what happens once you do the two 9 month stints as an intern? are you then free not to do it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As I said in my post, he's complained to both FAS and DSP and was told show up or lose part of his payement. Neither organisation cares that the scheme is being abused, if they did then they'd be keeping a better eye on the internships listed on the site and following up with interns. Showing up in the final month to ask a few questions is ridiculous and shows how little they care about the interns.

The bang of bull**** of this is amazing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Yeah because government agencies are never inefficient, unhelpful or willfully incompetent.

He is being abused. If those responsible are unwilling or unable to help him, have him go to his union - most schemes are part of one, they would even help him if he's not a member. He also needs go to his local TD and if that fails, Talk to Joe. He MUST STOP working more than the maximum 40 hours. This guff about turning up or facing having his payment cut is not on. He IS turning up, for much more than he needs to.

No bull at all. He's been treated like crap and neither organisation gives a damn. Don't see how that's so hard to believe given how inefficient both are and there's multiple posts about how people are being abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheShockmaster

I did a nine month Jobbridge internship and I would say it was beneficial to my career. I got much needed lab experience, and it helped me get where I am today.

I don't think it is for everyone, I believe graduates in the right industry benefit from it, but it should be much more stringently supervised to guard against abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Millicent wrote: »
    Yeah because government agencies are never inefficient, unhelpful or willfully incompetent.
    No bull at all. He's been treated like crap and neither organisation gives a damn. Don't see how that's so hard to believe given how inefficient both are and there's multiple posts about how people are being abused.

Tis amazing how inefficient and incompetent they are but when it comes to cutting payments they will seemingly do it in an instant.

Advertisement