Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That is so realistic that you just lose the will to laugh. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...He's been treated like crap...

He's allowing himself to be treated like crap.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    He's allowing himself to be treated like crap.

He's not exactly got many choices. He can quit the internship, simply for the 40 hours and no more or complain again. At the end if the day he doesn't want his payment affected and would rather be used for a few months than risk losing €40 a week. It's all well and good telling people that they are allowing themselves be a used but it's not like FAS or the DSP give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He's not exactly got many choices. He can quit the internship, simply for the 40 hours and no more or complain again. At the end if the day he doesn't want his payment affected and would rather be used for a few months than risk losing €40 a week. It's all well and good telling people that they are allowing themselves be a used but it's not like FAS or the DSP give a damn.

Did he complain to someone in the fas or social welfare office? They lie in there for their own benefit.

He should write a letter to them and if its not resolved, take it further again and write to the head office, and if its still not resolved the ombudsman.

I dont know what they do for you but I wouldnt sit back and be treated like sh!t.

Here's info on making a complaint to fas. If they're being wrong and they are, he shouldn't be sitting back. Screw that.

http://www.fas.ie/en/About+Us/Corporate+Structure/Complaints+Procedures.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Obviously you have no idea how this works at all. You get called in for a meeting and they look at your C.V and areas you could work in. Then they send out your C.V to a load of intern jobs. Then you get a letter saying thank you for your application we can't wait to see you for an interview for some job you don't even know about.

I turned up to an interview one day and literally had no idea what the job was about. I expected it to be a finance related instead it was basically being a groundskeeper for a local football club and with no mentor. I have had interviews for good finance jobs that were easy in comparison to this groundskeepers job with three men talking to me for 20 minutes about the history of the club.

You get a call back in after about three months to come back and ask why you haven't got employment. You get told it doesn't look good and you should take anything you were given. Then i went for an interview for a theatre which was only 20 hours a week. It was basically standing behind a desk selling tickets for shows. It was said in the interview i had to work 5 hours a day on Saturdays and it changed from morning work one week to evening work the next Saturday as it was their busiest day. I told them in the interview that Saturday did not suit me as i played football and snooker competitions on Saturdays. I tried to mess up the interview but no luck i got a phonecall saying i got it.

I called into FAS for a meeting and told my supposed mentor i did not want this job. I told him i would do twenty hours midweek but not giving up my Saturdays for an internship. I explained i would miss snooker, soccer and also have to give up my Saturday nights for an internship which did not help my Finance degree. He explained everybody who worked their had to deal with this and i argued that yes people who are getting a wage should be doing weekend work. It ended with him telling me if i refused this job he would report it to the social welfare and it would be very likely i would get cut money.

Luckily a friend got me part time work for a few months and i got out of this. I went in as a finance graduate with an open mind on getting experience. The interviews i got were a groundskeeper, working behind a desk in a library and a theatre. When i suggested i was unhappy i was threatened i would be cut. Until you are in the situation you have no idea that are being forced to apply for them. It's worse your not actually forced they apply for them without asking you and then try force you into taking interships you have no interest in.

Obviously you didn't research how the internship actually works yourself? You can prepare your CV and bring it along to any place you would like to work as an intern and bring along a cover letter with the guidelines form and and other information on the scheme for good measure, then ask to speak to the boss.

I did this myself last week and have had two interviews with cafes I would love to get experience with and one of them seemed very enthusiastic as well as offering me paid projects on the side.

You look up intern schemes in the meantime on the jobsireland website for something that suits you. Whoever told you that it runs based only on interview isn't qualified for the job their in!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

No bull at all. He's been treated like crap and neither organisation gives a damn. Don't see how that's so hard to believe given how inefficient both are and there's multiple posts about how people are being abused.

Has he contacted citizens information? Or perhaps the ombudsmen? Or ask him to try another counties Fas department and community welfare officers. That seems extreme to me and not on at all. Where I live they've been very supportive. You get the odd person who is rude but to have complained twice and gotten that response is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What experience is this person getting selling tickets like at the cinema ? I'm pretty sure if he/she goes to Fas and tells them what the internship actually is. They will say just leave. Failing that just get he/she to leave and if Fas come asking why. Tell them about the working conditions i.e. over 40 hours a week and on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

a mate on FB has just put up that the FAI are now recruiting interns... There must musnt be much left to go around after Delaney gets his 430,000! :rolleyes: Taken from below lnk, think it might be cut now, but several other google links, including an rte one, confirmed it was over 400,000!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Delaney_(football_administrator)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Idbatterim wrote: »
    a mate on FB has just put up that the FAI are now recruiting interns... There must musnt be much left to go around after Delaney gets his 430,000! :rolleyes: Taken from below lnk, think it might be cut now, but several other google links, including an rte one, confirmed it was over 400,000!!!

That looks like a very Legit wiki article,
    In July 2010, the FAI's Board of Directors agreed to extend his contract once again, until 2015.[2] His salary is currently €430,000 a year.[3][4] His salary is almost €100,000 more than the combined salaries of his Spanish and Italian counterparts
    Not slanderous at all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Xios wrote: »

The part you quoted is from the independent.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/fai-chief-earns-250k-more-than-spain-and-italy-rivals-26872839.html

the below good enough?! I just like the way the wiki link pointed out, just how outrageous that salary actually is.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2012/0721/330072-pay-cut-for-fai-supremo-delaney/

There is no shortage of money in this country, its how its distributed that the problem.
    It happened to be a fact!

the below good enough?! I just like the way the wiki link pointed out, just how outrageous that salary actually is.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2012/0721/330072-pay-cut-for-fai-supremo-delaney/

There is no shortage of money in this country, its how its distributed that the problem.

But but you get what you pay for they keep telling us if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Odd that in Europe they can pay a lot less. Maybe that's cos there not as greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

arf91 wrote: »

I did this myself last week and have had two interviews with cafes I would love to get experience with and one of them seemed very enthusiastic as well as offering me paid projects on the side.

Sorry but working in a cafe is not an internship unless your managing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Obviously you didn't research how the internship actually works yourself? You can prepare your CV and bring it along to any place you would like to work as an intern and bring along a cover letter with the guidelines form and and other information on the scheme for good measure, then ask to speak to the boss.

You look up intern schemes in the meantime on the jobsireland website for something that suits you. Whoever told you that it runs based only on interview isn't qualified for the job their in!

You are talking about voluntarily going out looking for internships i don't know what that has to do with getting called in by FAS. Unless you were called in by FAS i fail to see what your point is.

Obviously like most people have no idea about how this works unless you are called in by FAS. You get randomly selected and called in for a meeting. They look at your C.V. and ask you can they apply for internships in where you want to work. It is implied saying no means you don't want work and you can be cut. You then receive letters in the door thanking you for applying for the job and when the interview will be. It states failure to turn up and you can get cut. You get called in after three months for a check up and it's suggested it doesn't look good you didn't find an internship. You are told if you turn one down you will more than likely get cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Get rid of him and you can take on 20 people and pay them 20000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

donegal11 wrote: »
    Sorry but working in a cafe is not an internship unless your managing it.

These cafes must be familiar with the term "useful idiot".

Are you surprised a manager of a cafe is enthusiastic when somebody comes in offering to work for free. Who won't be enthusiastic is the workers who will probably lose hours because your offering to work for free. Things like this are what is wrong with this whole jobsbridge. You offering to work for free probably means some poor sod on minimum wage will be earning less and the business benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Get rid of him and you can take on 20 people and pay them 20000 a year.

What would that achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Indeed it's not, if true.

What would that achieve?
    John?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gambit83 wrote: »
    thats shocking, as you said the email address says it all
    i can't believe it isn't policed better, does any dept actually view these jobs and sign them off before their posted?

I think I know who that is........a quick google will give you the answer.I won't post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What would that achieve?

Twenty times the number of bar functions can be attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How are these jobs allowed be advertised. They are obviously being approved by somebody to be allowed on the site, it's scandalous.

They are not pro-actively approved, if you report them they will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Any body reported it? or better still use the reply email tell them direct your taking the p..ss.
    Internships for vegetable pickers,even asks for 3, when will this end.

They are not pro-actively approved, if you report them they will be removed.

Why should they have to be reported before they are removed. Surely if this is a goverment initiative the least they can do is approve them before putting them on the website. The sad thing if this was actually managed correctly it could be successful imo well for graduate jobs anyway.

• Advertisement

How are these jobs allowed be advertised. They are obviously being approved by somebody to be allowed on the site, it's scandalous.

Its an automated form as far as I know the employer fills it out. Fas generally only know about it if someone reports it.

Advertisement