Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

arf91 wrote: »
    Because its part time.

Don't you have to work a minimum of 30 hours on an internship? Does that mean that you could possibly be taken away two part time jobs, from people actually wanting to work part time? Why would any boss hire someone when they have you for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What are your talking about? He has offered me paid work on the side if he can't get into the scheme in time or for whatever other reason, stop nitpicking my posts.

Well your not making much sense and back tracking a lot, its not really adding to the thread, you seem not to know much about the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I hope the revenue are aware of this.
    I hope the revenue are aware of this.

Revenue will be aware of it? Every pay cheque goes through revenue as far as I'm aware. You are allowed work up to 3 days while claiming the dole. I know how it works don't worry! Appreciate your moral civil compass though.

Don't you have to work a minimum of 30 hours on an internship? Does that mean that you could possibly be taken away two part time jobs, from people actually wanting to work part time? Why would any boss hire someone when they have you for free?

He would be taking me on for 30 hours as well as his part time waitress where is the confusion..?

• Advertisement

He would be taking me on for 30 hours as well as his part time waitress where is the confusion..?

Is it a managerial role you have been offered? :confused:

Revenue will be aware of it? Every pay cheque goes through revenue as far as I'm aware. You are allowed work up to 3 days while claiming the dole. I know how it works don't worry! Appreciate your moral civil compass though.

You won't be getting a paycheck if your on JobBridge, so make up your mind as to what you are saying and what position you are taking, be it a real job or an internship, you do not seem to know yourself what is happening.

Xenji wrote: »
    Well your not making much sense and back tracking a lot, its not really adding to the thread, you seem not to know much about the scheme.

Point out one place where I've back tracked here please? I'm having to explain myself in more detail because people want to pick apart my post like I've something to hide, if that's what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Tell us what position you're taking on in the café, because there's a restriction on taking on an intern them taking on someone else for the same role (paid)

• Advertisement

It's probably Joan herself :pac:

Point out one place where I've back tracked here please? I'm having to explain myself in more detail because people want to pick apart my post like I've something to hide, if that's what you mean.

What's the point, I am not the only one doing it, others can see it as well, well you might as well have something to hide as your not making much sense.

You won't be getting a paycheck if your on JobBridge, so make up your mind as to what you are saying and what position you are taking, be it a real job or an internship, you do not seem to know yourself what is happening.

You just aren't taking in a word I'm saying are you? The only reason I'd be getting a paycheck is if I can't get the internship for whatever reason or after the internship is finished, on weekends when I move county for coll. I know exactly what I'm saying which is the truth, but keep trying to trip me up but its not going to work I'm being completely straightforward here its you that's getting confused. :

To get this thread back on track, there was a good discussion about the scheme on the Ray D'arcy show, he said he was gonna invite Joan in and have the whole scheme and the figure massaging scrutinized, she will probably never do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The last troll was better, can we have him back?
    It's probably Joan herself :pac:

Anytime someone dares step outside the cosy "Slavebridge" consensus here this is what we get. Only one view of the world allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The scheme should only exist for new graduates to gain experience.

It should not cover jobs that take 2-3 weeks training (or less) before a person can do it competently.

The government contributes the equivalent of the dole + €50.

The employer should have to then pay around €110 to the participant bringing their wage up to minimum wage level.

It would still be a great deal for the employer plus the participant would at least get a half decent wage while gaining their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anytime someone dares step outside the cosy "Slavebridge" consensus here this is what we get. Only one view of the world allowed.

Big business looks at you and your allies as "useful idiots".

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭BandyMandy

This was better than any theater performance I've ever been to, Xenji, I really enjoyed you backing arf91 (or as "whats the point" called her "Joan" lol) into a corner, love you style, you remind me of Shane Ross! .......You'd do well on the PAC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Unite writes to Joan Burton seeking end to mandatory element in JobBridge and Gateway.
    Posted on March 20, 2014. PDF letter below...

• Advertisement

First of all its 6 months and secondly I approached him, he hasn't advertised his business. To the people so vehemently criticizing the scheme as an all encompassing awful thing actually know the facts? I'm sorry where is this used and abused nonsense coming from? I'm actively looking for cafe work, my family work in the business, this is a cafe I've wanted to work in for years, *I approached him*.

How will it be good for you? You're going to spend 6-9 months working for less than minimum wage in a business that takes no training to learn the ropes. You could train a half decent monkey and they'd be able to do most jobs in a cafe.

A cafe is not a place anyone needs to intern in. A friend of mine works in a cafe in Galway and her training involved 3 hours with one of the girls already working there and then she was on her own. She picked up all the nuances of the job in a matter of minutes and was paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

zenno wrote: »
    Unite writes to Joan Burton seeking end to mandatory element in JobBridge and Gateway.
    Posted on March 20, 2014. PDF letter below...

any union worth its while would be seeking complete end to the jobbridge....its beyond belief that they fight and argue about stupid pointless things
    and they wont even look into workers right for people beginning out working...there behaviour has been nothing short of shamefull

(see the way they adbandoned young teachers & nurses to look after older better paid members)

any union worth its while would be seeking complete end to the jobbridge....its beyond belief that they fight and argue about stupid pointless things
    and they wont even look into workers right for people beginning out working...there behaviour has been nothing short of shamefull

(see the way they adbandoned young teachers & nurses to look after older better paid members)

I agree, but this letter is at least something, and a start. Jobbridge should never have been made mandatory.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

zenno wrote: »
    Jobbridge should never have been made mandatory.

zenno, can I ask to what extent is Jobbridge mandatory?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »

Jobbridge is mandatory for under 25's. I am not entirely sure if it is the same for over 25's, as Joan Burton did personally say that jobbridge is completely voluntary over this age group. I would also like this clarified.

Also, for people that will be forced onto this jobbridge soon, I think it would be a good idea to read up on your rights as an intern from the link below as to be sure of your rights.

Interns Rights: http://www.ictu.ie/internrights/#X-201106292326334

Hermy wrote: »

FAS are brining in the unemployed and presenting them with jobsbridge positions and telling then that they need to apply for them. They are also telling those signing on that they need to start going to businesses and asking then to take them on under the scheme. Failure to do either can will result in your payement being cut.

Under-25s who fail to accept some JobBridge internships could face dole cut.

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/joan-burton-job-bridge-young-unemployed-1286867-Jan2014/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

FAS are brining in the unemployed and presenting them with jobsbridge positions and telling then that they need to apply for them. They are also telling those signing on that they need to start going to businesses and asking then to take them on under the scheme. Failure to do either can will result in your payement being cut.

That's rather worrying.
    As well as a complete crock of sh!t.
    What they hope to achieve by this is beyond me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Advertisement