Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

This post has been deleted.

I already know this Fred, I was just summarising, as the Youth Guarantee only affects those under 25 years of age. I don't think jobbridge is mandatory for older folk above 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Hermy wrote: »
    That's rather worrying.
    As well as a complete crock of sh!t.
    What they hope to achieve by this is beyond me.

drive down numbers on the dole/get people to emigrate
    this would be age group most likely to emigrate/''travel''.....
    so it looks better for government (they tell FAS what to do)...

think about it-who under 25 do you know who is after getting a job this year in this big much flagged recovery and how many u25s do you know have emigrated??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well over half the lads I went to school with have emigrated, and the rest have left town except for about 10 who were lucky to have jobs and that is out of a class of 118, would say the numbers are similar with the same year from the other schools, Christmas Eve in the pub and hearing all their stories is great craic and a little saddening at the same time.

Xenji wrote: »
    Well over half the lads I went to school with have emigrated, and the rest have left town except for about 10 who were lucky to have jobs and that is out of a class of 118, would say the numbers are similar with the same year from the other schools, Christmas Eve in the pub and hearing all their stories is great craic and a little saddening at the same time.

only ones left from my class are people who seem to be forever in collage/have children & me:(...practically none have jobs...even those of us who served our time at different things:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Do you know what really irritates me about this scheme is that I am so desperate for work I wouldn't mind doing it. However, I'm a stay at home mama who can't get a job due to inexperience although I have a great education and have done lots of work experience no one will employ me. The scheme won't take me because I'm not on the dole. So what am I meant to do?? I would love to work, I'm a smart girl who is in college that can't even get a job in the summer because EVERY job needs 2 years experience and if you don't have that then off to jobbridge you go. It is so frustrating when I am willing to work so hard in a job and could be a real asset to a business.

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    I already know this Fred, I was just summarising, as the Youth Guarantee only affects those under 25 years of age. I don't think jobbridge is mandatory for older folk above 25.

It applies to those over 25. Know a few people who in their late 20s and early 30s who were forced onto it. Also know of two women in their late 50s who were given the choice between taking one up or having their payment cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Basically it is mandatory for all in receipt of the dole.

It seems to be. It's not something set in stone but if they call you in to discuss it then you've no choice. Look at the numbers of people who are signed up for courses and the first they hear about it is the "congratulations you've been successful in your application for a 6 month course in looking at lawnmowers".

It seems to be. It's not something set in stone but if they call you in to discuss it then you've no choice. Look at the numbers of people who are signed up for courses and the first they hear about it is the "congratulations you've been successful in your application for a 6 month course in looking at lawnmowers".

You will have no lawnmower internships anymore, the Gateway scheme is looking after that, we are busing people in from as far as Cong next week to start their training courses and one is lawnmower and bushcutting :pac: They will be cutting the grass in all the Council estates at the end of it and will be doing most of the maintenance and street cleaning, all for free of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭jescart

PLL wrote: »
    Do you know what really irritates me about this scheme is that I am so desperate for work I wouldn't mind doing it. However, I'm a stay at home mama who can't get a job due to inexperience although I have a great education and have done lots of work experience no one will employ me. The scheme won't take me because I'm not on the dole. So what am I meant to do?? I would love to work, I'm a smart girl who is in college that can't even get a job in the summer because EVERY job needs 2 years experience and if you don't have that then off to jobbridge you go. It is so frustrating when I am willing to work so hard in a job and could be a real asset to a business.

Not sure about this but I think if you start signing on for credits, after the minimum period require you can participate. Not 100% sure but worth checking out.

On the other hand I am completely against schemes like this, a fair days wage for a fair days work.

• Advertisement

I can't find the link from a few weeks ago, but according to Joan Burton, she made it abundantly clear that Jobbridge was completely voluntary. I know that under 25's are forced onto this scheme because of the youth guarantee, but I thought I understood it that it was voluntary outside of this youth guarantee.
    It's very hard to find the correct details regarding this issue.

When I was called in for a one to one meeting with fas, she asked me what I was good at and in what line of work I was interested in, and she went straight to jobbridge to get me on a laptop repair job, but it was already gone. I told her that I was more interested in furthering my educational skills with a year course in computer maintenance and networking as this is what I used to work at, and I was not interested in jobbridge, so she put me down for a year course for this.

I was never forced to do jobbridge. I made the choice for myself to enrol in a year course instead.

zenno wrote: »
    I can't find the link from a few weeks ago, but according to Joan Burton, she made it abundantly clear that Jobbridge was completely voluntary. I know that under 25's are forced onto this scheme because of the youth guarantee, but I thought I understood it that it was voluntary outside of this youth guarantee.
    It's very hard to find the correct details regarding this issue.

When I was called in for a one to one meeting with fas, she asked me what I was good at and in what line of work I was interested in, and she went straight to jobbridge to get me on a laptop repair job, but it was already gone. I told her that I was more interested in furthering my educational skills with a year course in computer maintenance and networking as this is what I used to work at, and I was not interested in jobbridge, so she put me down for a year course for this.

I was never forced to do jobbridge. I made the choice for myself to enrol in a year course instead.

its almost as if she lying!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

And so it should be...the country cannot afford to pay people to do nothing forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

A friend of mine has completed two jobbridges in the Media/film production field. He enjoyed both, learned a heck of alot. Sadly he hasn't been able to find a job ion that field since the the second internship ended. He just got a letter for gateway scheme. He's gutted.

chopper6 wrote: »
    And so it should be...the country cannot afford to pay people to do nothing forever.

but can afford to pour waste billions upon billions into banks to protect a minority of developer friends of government(FF):rolleyes::rolleyes:

they would be better going about making proper jobs for people/pay people correctly and give proper working hours to people on the likes of the gateway scheme!!!
    -think council workers they used to be called

So the solution to unemployment is to ensure that jobs aren't created as employers can simply get employees for free. Do people really not understand that the more of these schemes that appear, the less genuine employment is created.

You do know that it is the government paying for these internships and the host organisation pay nothing, so it is actually costing the country more by paying interns an extra €50 a week on top of a maximum €188. If the government created real jobs they would be getting money back from tax and vat, but they are throwing money at some 80,000 plus people on activation schemes.

but can afford to pour waste billions upon billions into banks to protect a minority of developer friends of government(FF):rolleyes::rolleyes:

they would be better going about making proper jobs for people/pay people correctly and give proper working hours to people on the likes of the gateway scheme!!!
    -think council workers they used to be called

We still are, but we look like endangered species due to the hiring moratorium, nearly more people in on various schemes or short term contacts then actual staff.

Xenji wrote: »
    You do know that it is the government paying for these internships and the host organisation pay nothing, so it is actually costing the country more by paying interns an extra €50 a week on top of a maximum €188. If the government created real jobs they would be getting money back from tax and vat, but they are throwing money at some 80,000 plus people on activation schemes.

It used to be known as "work experience"...nowadays the dole is enough to live on comfortably so the "work" bit catches in a lot of people's craws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It used to be known as "work experience"...nowadays the dole is enough to live on comfortably so the "work" bit catches in a lot of people's craws.

Try it ;)

the dole is far from enough to live comfortably on....by time I pay food and rent,bills,petrol etc im licky to have e8 a week left to live on

this madness drives me mad....id give anything for work (actively looking into emigrating-story for another day!!!)
    I know no one who doesn't want to work/lives comfortably on the dole....you just about survive....that's no life to lead living hand to mouth, week to week...wasting your life away and any jobs that could be going...are jobbridge which would cost you more to travel to and from than what you make:mad::mad::mad:

jesus even a min wage job would be great to see come up (got turned down by a call-centre!!)
    ...no mind what im trained in with years experience!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

How will it be good for you? You're going to spend 6-9 months working for less than minimum wage in a business that takes no training to learn the ropes. You could train a half decent monkey and they'd be able to do most jobs in a cafe.

A cafe is not a place anyone needs to intern in. A friend of mine works in a cafe in Galway and her training involved 3 hours with one of the girls already working there and then she was on her own. She picked up all the nuances of the job in a matter of minutes and was paid for it.
    I

Ok Darko, I'll tell you. I spend 5 months in a cafe I admire being mentored by someone I trust, it gives me a good chance at securing a cafe job when I move away for coll and it counts towards qualifying time for back to education allowance meaning not being kicked off the dole in the meantime which would mean not being able to go to college at all.

Its a win win situation. I mightnt get the position as it could be too late but I'm just pointing out its a genuine situation and for my *one* individual situation the scheme is a good thing. I haven't got a full time job the past few months and its unlikely ill get one for 5 months.. therefore no monies saved. At least if I got the internship its related to the course I'm hoping to do, in a sector I'm familiar with and want to get more experience in (waitressing isn't the only aspect, come ON) helps toward securing a part time job during coll, small amount of extra cash, something to keep me busy and guarantees not getting kicked off the dole and squandering the back to education allowance.

The thing about the internship scheme is it counts as qualifying time towards other payments people need.... Yes this can be seen as a flaw but the system refuses to look at individual cases for now and overall this benefits me now and in the long run. I'm stating my one situation, the fact that people have argued back with "your being abused" "your taking other peoples jobs" and "cafe isn't real work" aren't accurate really so it dont affect my point. Ten thousand flies can be wrong its called the bandwagon fallacy :) And writing off anyone who has good experiences with jobbridge as "useful idiots" isn't a balanced argument. Its downright nasty. To that I say what about my job and prospects??

This particular instance, it doesn't take advantage of anyone because the boss is still taking on his part time waitress, he knows about the scheme and has an established reputation to keep he's not about to take advantage trust me on that! The person who said Cafe work is something college students do? The kind of snobbery I can't stomach. It takes all sorts to make the world go round, we werent all raised to be doctors and lawyers. Besides I'm still young and about to be a coll student. But "Honestly it does not say much about you if you have to approach something like a Cafe for a internship" <--Really? You don't know me. The mentality of some people never ceases to amaze.

Anyways not answering anymore nitpickers the nonsense derailed the thread enough. I've made my point and can see I'm surrounded by people with the aim to shut up opposing opinion so ill take mine elsewhere for now. Not backed into a corner at all.. Just disagree with some of the dramatisation here and it clearly isn't welcome!

Are you serious. You obviously haven't a clue what you are saying.

Try it ;)

I'd rather not... i don't believe in living of the largese of anybody.

However i *do* know of people who are on the dole three decades or more and none of them have bones sticking through thier ribs,been forced to abstain from smoking/drinking or denied themselves holidays or flatscreen Tvs.

The problem with the dole is that the longer you're on it,the better you get paid and the easier it is to continue.

No creche fees,no doctor's bills,no tax,no mortage payments...the sort of expenses that are crippling the average working stiff.

However i *do* know of people who are on the dole three decades or more and none of them have bones sticking through thier ribs,been forced to abstain from smoking/drinking or denied themselves holidays or flatscreen Tvs.

The problem with the dole is that the longer you're on it,the better you get paid and the easier it is to continue.

No creche fees,no doctor's bills,no tax,no mortage payments...the sort of expenses that are crippling the average working stiff.

I know of no one on dole that long who doesn't almost always have a full time black market job...no one in Ireland has that lifestyle on e188 a week

are you really suggesting they get paid more the longer they stick it out...that's a blatent lie!!!...how much do you think your 30+ lifers are on????

Don't turn this into another dole-bashing thread, we have enough of them as you know. Can you not just stay on topic ?.

It's comments like that, constantly bringing in the dole-bashing that gets threads closed down. Is this the real objective ? trying to get this thread closed ? chopper6

I know of no one on dole that long who doesn't almost always have a full time black market job...no one in Ireland has that lifestyle on e188 a week

are you really suggesting they get paid more the longer they stick it out...that's a blatent lie!!!...how much do you think your 30+ lifers are on????

The answer is Kids..and lots of them.

I know one woman who receives 480 euros per week...not a bad take-home wage for somebody in an ctual job but she feels it is her right...to say nothing of free clothing allowance,back to school allowance,heating allowance,medical card,bus pass,subsidised accomadation,single parents allowance,exceptional needs payments etc etc.

• Advertisement

Advertisement