Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Might be that they got paid for the JOB of stacking shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

chopper6 wrote: »
    The answer is Kids..and lots of them.

I know one woman who receives 480 euros per week...not a bad take-home wage for somebody in an ctual job but she feels it is her right...to say nothing of free clothing allowance,back to school allowance,heating allowance,medical card,bus pass,subsidised accomadation,single parents allowance,exceptional needs payments etc etc.

Why would someone other than a pensioner get a free bus pass? Usually people younger than pensioner age get them due to illness or disability. Do you know that this women doesn't have an illness or isn't disabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Didn't see any of them using wheelchairs...in fact they looked pretty fit to me.

You do know you don't have to be in a wheelchair to be disabled in some way, right? And many illnesses show no outward signs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The main problem with jobbridge is that it is taking proper paid wage jobs out of circulation. Do you not think this is a problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

An internship in a multi national I.T. or pharmaceutical company would offer good experience and opportunities.

A nine month internship as a car wash attendant or shelf packer not so much.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Thats an over simplistic way to look at it.

Once you hire someone, it's nigh on impossible to get rid of them.

You can cut their hours down, so you don't actually have to let them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

zenno wrote: »
    Jobbridge is mandatory for under 25's. I am not entirely sure if it is the same for over 25's, as Joan Burton did personally say that jobbridge is completely voluntary over this age group. I would also like this clarified.

Also, for people that will be forced onto this jobbridge soon, I think it would be a good idea to read up on your rights as an intern from the link below as to be sure of your rights.

Interns Rights: http://www.ictu.ie/internrights/#X-201106292326334

Governments just love to fuck over the young, don't they?

EDIT: Why am I not surprised to see a believer of laissez-faire economics defend SlaveBridge?

• Advertisement

Well you don't seem to understand the reality of the situation then, as this is exactly the reality of what jobbridge and gateway are doing at this time, taking away what could be minimum paid wage jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

It's not a "scandal" if it means people are finally forced to work for thier dole.

My examples are relevant in that the dole is bleeding the economy white.

If people work forty hours for the dole than what's the point in having minimum wage? Why should employers pay a wage anymore when free labor is available? Can ypu answer those questions?

You are assuming all people on the dole want to be in that situation. You'd be wrong there. I apply for work every week. I can barely survive on 188 a week, once rent and bills are paid theres just enough left to get basic food and personal hygiene items at Aldi. It's a crap existence and not my choice.

You are also assuming that there are jobs available for the 400,000 plus people that are out of work. Obviously you'd be wrong again, there are nowhere near that amount of jobs vacant and the ones that are available are mostly in one very expensive city.

Also, pretty sure the bank bailouts are what really ruined the economy. The largest portion of the social welfare budget goes to old age pensions not unemployment. Do some research before you make statements about a subject. It is not the unemployment payments that have us in a mess, it is unemployment itself.

And no, your tales of bus pass holding ne'er-do-wells are not relevant to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

A few months to learn to wash a car or stack shelves ? Are you joking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You're just taking the piss. You don't need a 9 month "internship" to learn how to stack shelves, work as a cashier or wash a car. :rolleyes:

Actually, there's dual benefits in entry-level jobs. Getting experience (long-term benefit) and getting paid (to satisfy a current basic need).

EDIT: Why am I not surprised to see a believer of laissez-faire economics defend SlaveBridge?

Bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

How many of these were with the same company as the internship?

What areas were these internships in and what areas was the person employed in after?

How long did it take for someone to get a job after the internship?

For some reason the government dont seem to be boasting these figures...

Then have 1 month part time internships for them where the employer pays some of the money. These are all things everyone else managed to pick up while working in a paid job.

• Advertisement

The fact that jobbridge exists, is the reason why those jobs are not paid wage jobs. If jobbridge didn't exist, then those jobs would be paid wage jobs obviously. It's plain as day. Why would any retailer/business/company employ a person if they can get them to work for nothing - zero ?. Sure these employers think they have won the lotto for gods sake, free labour.

If a company is given two choices:

Paying a person a wage for 20 to 30 hours per week i.e an expense to the business.

Or getting someone to do the same job and getting 40 hours work out of them but not having to pay them.

Which option do you think this company would prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Thats great & all, but whats the problem with paying them a fair wage for the priviledge?

Yeah, they can benefit greatly from basic experience like stacking shelves or washing cars. But pay them, minimum wage for 39 hours and they get €337 a week. Thats not too bad for an 18 year old.

They dont need to be exploited for very basic, meaningless jobs. €100 dole + €50 for a week's work is a joke. For 9 months learning to use a sponge on a car. Or stack beans on a shelve.

Its greedy employers taking full advantage of this jobbridge scheme. And it shouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They have got that experience just fine stacking shelves in supermarkets for minimum wage up until job bridge was started, why do they suddenly need to do it for dole + €50 now and the government need to pay for it?

Exactly, they would be crazy not to take somebody on for free. This is the main problem a lot of people have with the scheme. As it stands Jobbridge is not being monitored properly which makes it very easy for a company to exploit unemployed people of all ages seeking paid work.

I don't think many people are arguing a company would hire an equivalent number of full time employees if the scheme didn't exist though.

An internship in a company that can provide a person with meaningful experience and relevant skills to enhance their future employability is a good concept but Jobbridge to a large extent is failing on this basic premise.

• Advertisement

Employers has got their pick. Im sure there must be someone worth €337 a week? Not just 18 year olds.

Advertisement