Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The Jobbridge Scheme is so popular with organisations around the country becuase it allows them to drive their costs down while increasing productivity.

This of course leads to an increase in profits.

which is wrong...the government subsidising them for around 12K for each intern they have:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭despot

Is there a reason UCD and NUIM refuse to pay people a wage? See them advertising a lot of internships for people and requiring them to have degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

if you had a carwash/any min wage job who would you hire

a jobbridge with 9 months exp who youd have to pay

or an intern through jobbridge who the government will pay for instead!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

it's a ripoff scheme.my wife went on one at Christmas.soon as she got there "here's the keys to the van and here are the deliveries"no mention of the other aspects of the jobs that she'll be trained for.christmas rush over thanks but we don't nedd you anymore.

you could try this mad old fashioned thing and actually pay them for working???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

What role in a cafe requires anything close to 5 months of mentoring? Unless you're being trained in in a managerial role there's no reason that you or anyone else would want or require such a long period of training. Surely if the role is one that the cafe sees as important then they will be able to pay you for your time. I can see how the scheme can be beneficial to people looking to get work in certain areas but a cafe is not one that requires such an internship. There is no position in any cafe that requires more than a couple of days at most to train in

It actually doesn't but I've been out of work a long time and it would help to be trained up on tils, customer service, food prep for looking for a part time job when I move out of my hometown for coll. It also has a particular healthy food ethos thats related to the course I want to study so I could get experience in menu planning, food sourcing and general ways in keeping the business promoted and ticked over. I suppose it doesn't seem like a lot to most people but as I already explained I have experience working in a cafe and out of any internship this is one that would suit best for now.

He doesn't have a full time position available and unfortunately even if he did it wouldn't pay enough for me to save the amount needed to go to uni in Sept. That's another reason, it means I won't be kicked off the dole for not taking a low paying job (doubt they'd do this but still) and that means being on the live register for the qualifying period for BTEA. So although money would be tight its the best option for the moment.

Think I explained most of this already.. I do get people's frustration with the scheme I really do and I may be in the minority in saying it would work out to be a good thing. By the way should point out I'm unemployed a long time but only on JB a short time.

I just wonder are there more out there like me who maybe could use jobbridge as a way of filling gaps in the CV, or as a stepping stone for other things. The only aim of the internship scheme isn't to secure a job.

but at the end of the day what is the point of an intern****?i mean you don't get any qualifications or a degree etc and in this day and age ya can't clean toilets without a degree!

• Advertisement

if you can find any of them to work in Ireland for nothing...il be genuinely shocked TBH
    why do you not start them on a low wage and build up the wages yearly as they get more experience??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This is sidestepping.

Nobody on this thread has denied that there are worthwhile internships available, in which interns will gain valuable experience.

But there are others, like the examples given, where many people feel that the skills gained are negligible at best, and certainly don't take 9 months to develop.

Somebody asks you about this, and you say it's nothing to do with you. You don't have a car wash. So the question of whether an internship in this kind of place is worthwhile or not, or whether it is open to abuse by car wash owners, is a question you just avoid completely.

Classic sidestepping.

I once went for a job as a car washer/valet and the training was about a week.it is quite skilled to do a very good job especially high end motors so where does 9 months come into anyway.personally I think it's just the government wanting to make the dole figures look good as there always seems to be mentions of jobs created but they don't mention the losses or cuts.

bugsntinas wrote: »
    I once went for a job as a car washer/valet and the training was about a week.it is quite skilled to do a very good job especially high end motors so where does 9 months come into anyway.personally I think it's just the government wanting to make the dole figures look good as there always seems to be mentions of jobs created but they don't mention the losses or cuts.

this is the logical conclusion of all this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I notice they have now decided to make a uniform one-fit-for-all automated Description Template for these Adverts. So now all the JobBridge jobs are described the exact same as each other without saying what duties is involved in each individual job. Pure lazy asses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

This laughable statement, along with the one you made about an intern 'happily working 100 hours a week for free', has removed all doubt as to whether you are a troll.

From a slave to six figures? Jaysus that's even got the penny apples fella beat. If that ever happens I will french kiss Joan Burton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The reality is that if you're let go from an internship and wish to stay within the discipline is that you won't be competing with someone who stayed on the dole, you'll be competing with someone with either equivalent experience (ie internship) or better.

You didn't answer my question anyway, just side stepped it with an irrelevant (and obvious) question of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Coming from the best business schools in the world and working 100 hours a week for free? Hmmm, you really can't buy brains, can you?

There are no doubt a small amount of useful internships available on this scheme, that's not what people take issue with.

Though, I do believe the business should be picking up part of the tab. Otherwise, as pointed out by another poster, it's corporate welfare.

• Advertisement

Actually, no, not for me. I believe there can be worthwhile internships for non-degree holders. For example, training as a legal executive or PA. But doing an internship that involves work that takes only a few weeks to learn is not worthwhile and simply works to enhance the employer's profits.

I think having a 9 month car-washing or vegetable-picking internships on your CV would go against you in the eyes of prospective employers. You'll look like a fool. Either that or they'll see Euro signs and view you as someone they can also exploit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Snobbery has nothing to with it. I don't care what the internship, it could be shelf stacking or it could be IT, I couldn't give a ****. But at the end of it, and you've demonstrated that you can do the job, then organisations should be made to take the person on. Can't afford to? Tough, these organisations should be disqualified from the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Snobbery has nothing to with it. I don't care what the internship, it could be shelf stacking or it could be IT, I couldn't give a ****. But at the end of it, and you've demonstrated that you can do the job, then organisations should be made to take the person on. Can't afford to? Tough, these organisations should be disqualified from the programme.

You cannot force an organisation to take the person on!

There are many reasons why they may not be able to justify an official position. As far as I am aware the company is debarred from replacing the position with another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I agree with most of this. A person cannot miraculously become qualified for work in most white collar sectors just because they have gone through job bridge.

Yes, I saw that. Even with poor literacy skills, menial labour would take no more than a few weeks training. After that, a wage should be given.

How do you reconcile the government subsiding the internships (and adding to the social welfare bill) with your libertarian views?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You are seeing only what you want to see.

you refuse to consider the possibility that the scheme is being exploited by employers.

We read a post on a pervious page where a poster in paid training developed the skills for car washing, including high-end cars, in a week.

Do you really think that an intern in a position like that would be receiving meaningful training for the 9 months an internship would last?

Do you consider it exploitative?

Yes.

Amusing indeed. I'm sure businesses are concerned about the young, barely literate, disenfranchised youth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Two guys in my job where let go three months ago and lord and behold two job bridgers where "hired" at the beginning of the month. Guess someone has to pay for the bosses kids private education and the annual trip to florida for three weeks. Pr ick.

Advertisement