Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

I emailed the Dept of Social Protection, but they said they won't release the names due to "data protection" issues.

I will put in an FOI request, just to see what happens. It will be probably be refused on the same grounds though.

You could request them to clarify which section (and/or subsection) of the Data Protection Act that precludes them from releasing information which is in the public interest.

After all, these companies openly displayed their names when they began abusing members of the public, why shouldn't the public be entitled to this information?

Not only are the government aware these companies are exploiting the scheme and the people on it, they are actively covering for these companies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Can you get in trouble for turning down a position. FAS are putting my name forward for load of administration jobs. The recent was to be selling tickets at the desk of an art gallery. I am a quieter person who would rather put the head down in the office rather than greeting people all day. But if i turn it down i presume i will get cut.

Sounds like a soft gig,id take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Sounds like a soft gig,id take it.

Ye well if i turn it down i will get in trouble. If i take it and hate it if i leave it i will be in trouble. The idea can be good in some cases. I have a finance degree and would happily do 20 hours a week for experience in Finance. I don't see how selling tickets and meeting and greeting helps me in any way at all.

The way it is run is shocking. I was called in for a meeting with FAS and they asked me what jobs i would be interested in. I told them anything in finance or marketing and i am not keen on administration. Since the meeting i have been sent to 4 interviews. Three of them have been administration jobs and this selling tickets job. You don't get a choice FAS contact the employer for you and they ring you up to set up an interview. You also get a letter from FAS saying if you do not follow up with the interview your payments could be cut.

I have no problem like i said getting experience in something that is useful. I would love the help of them informing me of something relevant to my experience. I am doing two courses at the moment and can prove i am looking for work yet they are trying to shift me into a job where it will be of no benefit to me. I think if run properly it is not the worst idea in the world. But going by the way they are acting i have no doubt their only intention is to get the figures of unemployment down to show Europe. They want jobs filled and don't care who does them once their filled.

Can you get in trouble for turning down a position. FAS are putting my name forward for load of administration jobs. The recent was to be selling tickets at the desk of an art gallery. I am a quieter person who would rather put the head down in the office rather than greeting people all day. But if i turn it down i presume i will get cut.

Are these on the Jobbridge scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 OffalyLad

SugarCoat wrote: »
    It seems like everytime I view the Fas website more and more real jobs are dissapearing from it and being replaced with free labour internships. When I search for specific sectors now all I seem to find are internships. This scheme is absolutely sickening me as it has potentially destroyed several thousand entry level jobs. I can't believe that Joan Burton and the labour party have completely ruined the youth labour market with a scheme which is:

-replacing real paid jobs with "internships"
    -exploiting the jobless
    -wasting tax-payer money to provide companies with free labour
    -putting underqualified/inexperienced/unvetted people in jobs with far too much responsibility(working with kids etc...)
    -distorting our unemployment figures
    -putting existing paid jobs at risk
    -being used to makeup for a shortfall of skills in the public service due to the recruitment embargo

Good people of AH, what can I do about this fiasco? It just makes me so angry thinking about this highly unsustainable and extremely exploitative scheme being always skewed in a positive light by our media and government :mad:

Start a Petition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

cant be any worse than the shower we've had.
    may as well give them a go :pac: :pac: :pac:

They are all as bad as each other but personally speaking I'll vote for United left alliance /people before profit, you won't see them bailing out banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

jonnny68 wrote: »
    They are all as bad as each other but personally speaking I'll vote for United left alliance /people before profit, you won't see them bailing out banks.

Haha that's what people said about Fianna Gael (mainly Fianna Gael) and Labour (mainly Labour)

Now if only we had this guy... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/8040540/Brazil-election-clown-wins-seat-in-congress.html

You might see them ****ing up our economy even more, we have no sovereignty The E.U. federal state calls the shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

OffalyLad wrote: »
    Start a Petition

Just don't bother voting Labour in the next election.

EdCastle wrote: »
    Just don't bother voting Labour in the next election.

Lets hope they'll be dead and buried next election time

• Advertisement

OffalyLad wrote: »
    You might see them ****ing up our economy even more, we have no sovereignty The E.U. federal state calls the shots

Surely they could be no worse than FF/FG/Lab /SF,

I'll be voting for them anyway, I'd never vote for any of the 'main political party's' ever again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

b0ll0cks!! ULA are finished and people before profit wrecked the jail the bankers dail protest showing themselves to be corrupted to the core!! smart fcukers make it look like they want change, much like fine gael and labour did!!

MOC88 wrote: »
    Haha that's what people said about Fianna Gael (mainly Fianna Gael) and Labour (mainly Labour)

Now if only we had this guy... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/8040540/Brazil-election-clown-wins-seat-in-congress.html

Haha that's mad :-)

b0ll0cks!! ULA are finished and people before profit wrecked the jail the bankers dail protest showing themselves to be corrupted to the core!! smart fcukers make it look like they want change, much like fine gael and labour did!!

You think what you want but not a ****ing chance would they be as bad as the clowns we have now

This scheme hits graduates and students looking for summer work in particular I think someone should get a petition going and campaign to abolish the farce that is Job-Bridge

Back to the main question I like the majority can see this jobridge for the farce it is, it needs to be scrapped immediately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

You think what you want but not a ****ing chance would they be as bad as the clowns we have now

and you can say what you like but hindsight has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that what you are trying to portray is just not true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What happens when you finish Job Bridge and do not get taken on, not like you have much chance of getting a real job now seeing that they are all Job Bridges mainly, and once you finish yours, you cannot do another. So how will the social welfare people be, don't you have to prove you're looking for work, but how can you prove it if the work is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

returnNull wrote: »
    `
    I seen one for a kitchen porter :)

Yes i seen one with the job description "the intern will gain valuable experience in manual labour an working under pressure" haha who the hell would actually apply for such a unpaid roll

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Two experiences i have come across, friend went into Civil Service on internship, he was a post grad and they taunted him about being the teaboy, had to threaten to write to his TD to get away from the place.

Second was with a prestige car mark, let marketing job and got intern for sfa , shocking, Paddy want his employees for nothing.

I'd question very loudly, with swearwords, why the Civil Service is allowed to take advantage of Jobbridge. That is truly a joke. If there is Govt work to be done it should be a fixed term paid contract.

• Advertisement

Back to the main question I like the majority can see this jobridge for the farce it is, it needs to be scrapped immediately.

The majority of sane people do. Working for nothing doesn't put bread on the table.

Of course some 'wet behind the ear' clowns think this is route 101 to the big time. If these numpties quit there clowning around then this half assed scheme would get the chop.

Unfortunately as it is, the government are thinking....some idiots will actually work for nothing, lets just extend the scheme to other industries, see how many more fools we can net for a free days work.

Day in day out, I hear people complaining about the government, the fact is that it is people who are to blame. After everything that has happened, anyone working for free is a complete back stabbing traitor to the ordinary working people of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Is it worth doing an Internship ? Internships have got alot of bad press about expliotation and high precentage not gettin kept on after the 9 months.

I recently completed a fetac IT and wondering if i should go for the internship i have been offered or else persue what im doin in college ??

Im hoping If i took the internship it would give me valubale experience and lead to a paid career

Yes i seen one with the job description "the intern will gain valuable experience in manual labour an working under pressure" haha who the hell would actually apply for such a unpaid roll

......a clown, numpty, idiot, fool and traitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is it worth doing an Internship ? Internships have got alot of bad press about expliotation and high precentage not gettin kept on after the 9 months.

I recently completed a fetac IT and wondering if i should go for the internship i have been offered or else persue what im doin in college ??

Im hoping If i took the internship it would give me valubale experience and lead to a paid career

If we take away all the outrageous JobsBridge listings (Shelf packer at Tesco, waitress in some cafe etc) there are listings that, on paper, would benefit people. People who have certain skills but don't have the job experience ... But it's still a flip of the coin weather this will help you to get an actual job or not.

All I know for sure is that it's currently an employers market. The reailty is that even if you get 9 months usage experience ( :P ) it still is probably not enough for what employers want a candicate to have.

For example, I worked in a call centre nearly 10 years ago (only worked there for just under a year) I just applied and got the job. Had no experience before hand dealing with phones. But nowadays I see call centre jobs listing two years experience as criteria. For a stupid mickey mouse call centre job. You can imagine what the critera is like for college required type jobs.

Have you even read the thread from the start?

If we take away all the outrageous JobsBridge listings (Shelf packer at Tesco, waitress in some cafe etc) there are listings that, on paper, would benefit people. People who have certain skills but don't have the job experience ... But it's still a flip of the coin weather this will help you to get an actual job or not.

All I know for sure is that it's currently an employers market. The reailty is that even if you get 9 months usage experience ( :P ) it still is probably not enough for what employers want a candicate to have.

For example, I worked in a call centre nearly 10 years ago (only worked there for just under a year) I just applied and got the job. Had no experience before hand dealing with phones. But nowadays I see call centre jobs listing two years experience as criteria. For a stupid mickey mouse call centre job. You can imagine what the critera is like for college required type jobs.

I have been refused numerous call center tech support roles over the last few months even though I have over 4 years at escalation level for a major multinational OSP! - Why? Over qualified :rolleyes:

The reality of the Jobbridge scheme is exactly that it is a SCHEME

(one of the connotations of the word: 2. A secret or devious plan, now I know there are other connotations but I choose this one :P)

A kneejerk reaction by the bunch of cûnts government to try 'ease' the unemployment 'issue'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

El Gato, you're posting some real amount of crap. I do agree that the scheme is a complete joke and companies are taking advantage of it, but the people that apply for the jobs are not idiots, numpties and definitely not traitors. They're people who want to work, and have hope that something will come of it. The crap you're blathering is ill thought out and comes off like the ramblings of an idiot who just joined a University political society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'll probably be crucified for bringing this up again but wouldn't this scheme be good for people who don't have any work experience and by that, I don't mean work experience in their field of study, I mean just any work experience be it as a shop assistant, barman, rocket scientist! I know a lot of college types who never worked a job until they got out of college. Now I'd imagine that's probably even more likely since part time jobs are more scarce.

If I was unemployed I would be looking at doing an internship or a volunteer for a charity organization to show I have an actual work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

EdCastle wrote: »
    The majority of sane people do. Working for nothing doesn't put bread on the table.

Of course some 'wet behind the ear' clowns think this is route 101 to the big time. If these numpties quit there clowning around then this half assed scheme would get the chop.

Unfortunately as it is, the government are thinking....some idiots will actually work for nothing, lets just extend the scheme to other industries, see how many more fools we can net for a free days work.

Day in day out, I hear people complaining about the government, the fact is that it is people who are to blame. After everything that has happened, anyone working for free is a complete back stabbing traitor to the ordinary working people of this country.

You obviously don't have much of a clue about it. People are now being forced into these internships. FAS recently started calling people in for interviews and asking what type of work they want. Then they send out your C.V. to these internships and you get warned if you don't attend the interview your payment will be cut.

I got offered a job that has no relevance to my finance degree that i want experience for. I got a letter this morning saying to let them know if i am still interested even though i was never interested FAS set the interview up. So what are my options i turn it down and i will get my money cut or i accept it and waste 9 months of my life getting experience in something that i have no interest in doing. It is fast turning into slave labour. I don't know what to do. To make it worse you have to work every saturday and some weeknights. So to rub it in my friends working 9-5 all week can relax get a nice wage and kick back and watch the football on a Saturday. I get nothing to go in on a Saturday and miss out playing football and watching football. The scheme is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You obviously don't have much of a clue about it. People are now being forced into these internships. FAS recently started calling people in for interviews and asking what type of work they want. Then they send out your C.V. to these internships and you get warned if you don't attend the interview your payment will be cut.

I got offered a job that has no relevance to my finance degree that i want experience for. I got a letter this morning saying to let them know if i am still interested even though i was never interested FAS set the interview up. So what are my options i turn it down and i will get my money cut or i accept it and waste 9 months of my life getting experience in something that i have no interest in doing. It is fast turning into slave labour. I don't know what to do. To make it worse you have to work every saturday and some weeknights. So to rub it in my friends working 9-5 all week can relax get a nice wage and kick back and watch the football on a Saturday. I get nothing to go in on a Saturday and miss out playing football and watching football. The scheme is a joke.

I asked this yesterday, but will say it again, what will the social welfare do to you when you finish your job bridge and do not get hired. You cannot do another job bridge and every job at the moment out there seems to be one, so they can they cut you if you cannot get a job. I have already been told that I will not be kept on in the company I am with, so when the 9 months are over I will have to go back to the social welfare, will I automatically be placed back on my 188 euro or will I have to jump through all their hoops again.

Advertisement