Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You don't know how this position is structured either.

The fact is its a book shop. Its very unlikely they'll have a computer programmer to train some in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

It's quite correct, I do not know if the shop has the skills and I'm guessing you don't know either. It is possible that this could be a very good internship opportunity for the right person.

I'm not a computer programmer but if I was an aspiring computer programmer looking to get the best experience to break into the market I would imagine the best programmers to learn from work for actual IT companies or dedicated Web Design companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Why would a bookshop who has a web designer need to hire somebody to learn for 9 months how to design a website. How exactly does a bookshop provide 9 months workload for two web designers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Why would a bookshop who has a web designer need to hire somebody to learn for 9 months how to design a website. How exactly does a bookshop provide 9 months workload for two web designers.

Maybe the current paid (or intern) web designer is leaving.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I am eager to see the system work in the way it is intended to assist people. I am not eager to see employers abusing the system. This internship seems likely to be an abuse of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

This Book internship looks interesting actually, if I was on the scratcher and an IT grad I would apply for it:

The intern will gain practical experience in developing a website from scratch. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following computer programming, practical applications of databases, links from publishers databases to Book Nest databases. On completion the intern will have attained skills in databases, SQL, ASP.

Whoever posted this knows what they are talking about, at least to some extent.

The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

And they already have a running website.

Also says "No experience required".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Well, I don't know if that's the case. But, as I said before, under 25s face having their benefits cut so may apply for these things out of desperation.

• Advertisement

In sligoface's example, who would mentor the intern in web development?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Based on this new info i agree and as stated previously have no issue with valid internships. Should point out though that you are required to state you will provide a mentor, whether you do or not is a different matter.

edit: actually that website was designed by a design company, not the bookshop itself.

Well, I don't know if that's the case. But, as I said before, under 25s face having their benefits cut so may apply for these things out of desperation.

Not just under 25. Over 25s too, and they threaten to cut their benefits.

Surely training somebody from scratch would just slow up the process. It would make more sense to hire somebody with experience for such a project.

Not just under 25. Over 25s too, and they threaten to cut their benefits.

Apparently over 25s too, though I don't know if this is true.

Well im over 25. Is that a good enough source?

Do a jobbridge or course. Or get my dole cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

An aunt of mine is in a jobsbridge role at the moment, an office admin type role. She is 60, made redundant last year after 30+ years with the same company. Its not like she needs the experience but she was told she would lose benefits if she didn't take it. She was only 3 weeks on the live register when she was offered the placement. She asked the woman in the welfare office about the long term unemployed and was told they were working from the top of the list (starting with recently unemployed people first).

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Developing a website from scratch internship?

You could teach yourself - books and youtube videos, although you would have to be very motivated :pac:

But also forcing me into a course.

They were bullying me to sign up for a very basic mickey mouse course for 11 months. A course that would not benefit me in any way.

I hadn't a choice. This is very wrong of the people doing this. They're meant to work with people and find out what the person would be interested in. I went into the meeting with other courses in mind and it was all shot down.

It was only when I threathened to make a complaint that I had some choice.

Now, get off your high horse and see that people are being bullied into these.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I currently live in London and I am trying to secure and internship/graduate role. I have a Masters in Urban Planning and I have over a years experience in the field behind me. The job market over here is highly competitive and I am applying to get on the London Council Internship Programme.

I recently interviewed for a planning role and did a group interview with other candidates, Hundreds of people apply for each role. Of the four candidates at the interview I was the least qualified. One guy had 4 years experience behind him in UK Planning. The role was a 12 month contract which paid £221 a week in a borough that is not on the tube line so a Train ticket to zone 6 would be required. I did not get the job but it was a real eye opener to the difference in work ethic in Ireland and London.

Here in London my rent is £650 a month plus bills of about £40-50 and travel to this job would have been £160 a month. So if I got the job after I paid my rent, bills and travel I would be left with £4 pound for the month for food. Competition is huge for these intern roles which have no guaranteed role at the end of them.

Contrast this with Ireland where I could have moved to Dublin to get a planning role on Jobbridge. I would of got rent allowance on a nice flat and got 50 euros on top of my 188 dole. I think we all know I would of been much better off in Dublin on Jobbridge.

I applied for 1 role on Jobbridge and got to the interview stage where I was told everyone who applied got interviewed. Now I don't now how interview processes work but my interview was over an hour long and this was a busy small firm. I don't reckon they interviewed more than 5 or 6 people as this would of been a waste of time and resources for such a small firm.

Maybe the resentment to this internship scheme says more about the Irish psyche and celtic tiger pups sense of entitlement than we care to admit.

]
    They're meant to work with people and find out what the person would be interested in.

Are they really? I think you have got the wrong idea of what your local social welfare officer is. They are not supposed to be treated like your guidance councillor from school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

work and get paid reasonable amount for a reasonable days work???

Not really it's happening. A friend took redundancy after 10 years in a factory. After three weeks he was called in for a meeting about jobsbridge and going on courses. He went ballistic and told them where to go i can't blame him.

• Advertisement

work and get paid reasonable amount for a reasonable days work???

If this is not available due to the current economic state of the country would you be willing to enter into a scheme which will make you more employable than the next guy when it comes time to apply for a proper role? all the while receiving full benefits plus some more?

Or would you rather sit at home on the internet and complain about not having a job.

Advertisement