Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

To assume that the internship always plays a role in the person finding employment, to the extent that it can be considered a jobbridge success, is a stretch, no matter how you look at it.

It was still an argument you had no problem making though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

osarusan wrote: »
    To assume that the internship always plays a role in the person finding employment, to the extent that it can be considered a jobbridge success, is a stretch, no matter how you look at it.

It was a still an argument you had no problem making though.

If it helped a little or alot, surely the fact that it helped at all means it was a success?

If we take 1000 people who stay unemployed, and 1000 people who do an internship, is there a difference in the percentage of people who have progressed to paid employment within 5 months? Did Indecon examine the progress of a control group?

It is also worth pointing out that the '61% after 5 months' statistic you like is one of a list of statistics about percentages in employment after an internship.

Time since Completion of Internship **% of Participants in Employment

Day of Internship Completion **36.3%

Finished less than 1 month ago ***35.5%

1-2 months ago ***43.8%

2-3 months ago ***50.0%

3-4 months ago ***51.0%

4-5 months ago ***57.5%

Over 5 months ago ***61.4%

What that tells me is that if you start with a group of people whose employment stands at 0% and record their progress in job-finding, that % can only go up.

Without examination of the factors behind their success in jobfinding and comparison with a control group (and those statistics may be out there), I don't think you can satisfactorily evaluate the success of the jobbridge scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How many people are on Jobsbridge i read something like 5000-6000. So 61% of say 5000 is 3050. I have looked through a good few counties on the FAS website roughly around 80-90 vacancies on average with around half of those Jobsbridge internships. So 26 counites say at 45 jobs =1170. Then you take into consideration the fact that people who are not on Jobsbridge would be taking these jobs i just can't understand the 61% success rate. These figures are probably completely wrong but i find it very difficult to believe 61% go on to full time employment. I would be surprised if it was as high as 20%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You forgot to tell them about the 40 virgins you get also........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

If there's an increase in employment, that does not mean Job Bridge caused the increase in employment - the increase in employment has to be backed by demand, and Job Bridge is unlikely to create this boost in aggregate demand, so the increase in employment can occur anyway - regardless of Job Bridge.

So, people in general can progress from social welfare to paid employment, without Job Bridge - what Job Bridge does, is potentially give specific people a competitive edge into these job positions (which is certainly a good thing).

So, no: The stats do no back Job Bridge helping to increase employment or get people off social welfare, only that they help participants gain a competitive edge in new job openings (job openings which can potentially be filled, by people on social welfare, yet not in Job Bridge).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How many people are on Jobsbridge i read something like 5000-6000. So 61% of say 5000 is 3050. I have looked through a good few counties on the FAS website roughly around 80-90 vacancies on average with around half of those Jobsbridge internships. So 26 counites say at 45 jobs =1170. Then you take into consideration the fact that people who are not on Jobsbridge would be taking these jobs i just can't understand the 61% success rate. These figures are probably completely wrong but i find it very difficult to believe 61% go on to full time employment. I would be surprised if it was as high as 20%.

Jobbridge has been going since 2011 and there have been 27282 through the system. At any given time there are about 6500 on the scheme with about 2500 employers with vacancies. The maximum number that can be on the scheme at one time is 8500. Click on the Indecon Report link here if you want to see more detailed statistics from 2012.

http://www.jobbridge.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its not like people wouldn't have found jobs without jobbridge, so to attribute the 61% who got jobs to jobbridge is not correct. The % who return to the workforce normally after say 9 months should be compared to the % who were on jobbridge for 9 months and gained employment related to their internship.

Accusing people of having an agenda for being annoyed at tesco trying to use 300 interns for their Christmas rush is doing you no favours.

What are the numbers?

Are they high? I don't know what % of people gain employment normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

The general unemployed population. Over 400,000 unemployed. Where are the jobs. Over 25 people going for the one job. Employers has got their pick. What do you want to do? Send 25 people to do a jobbridge, these 25 people apply for a paid job. Who gets it?

I don't think I have seen numbers that show this. I think the waters around the numbers who gain use out of jobbridge are very muddied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How to people see the forthcoming Job Path scheme working out ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

bbam wrote: »
    How to people see the forthcoming Job Path scheme working out ??

http://endacunningham.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Spin_the_bottle_2028621_display.jpg

• Advertisement

The general unemployed population. Over 400,000 unemployed. Where are the jobs. Over 25 people going for the one job. Employers has got their pick. What do you want to do? Send 25 people to do a jobbridge, these 25 people apply for a paid job. Who gets it?

400,000 on the Live Register but that is not the same as 400,000 unemployed.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lr/liveregistermarch2014/

The Live Register is not designed to measure unemployment. It includes part-time workers (those who work up to three days a week), seasonal and casual workers entitled to Jobseeker’s Benefit (JB) or Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA). Unemployment is measured by the Quarterly National Household Survey and the latest estimated number of persons unemployed as of the fourth quarter of 2013 was 253,200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

So you want to include university students? And people who are not seeking employment? I didn't attach a press release. It was the data from the CSO.

The social welfare are counting them as unemployed.

When I had my meeting at the fas office, I was told I was unemployed for almost 3 years. I told them, it was two years as I finished my course in 2012. I was told that I was signing on since 2011 so unemployed during my course.

So they told me I was unemployed since 2011. I did a full time course from September 2011 to May 2012. Signed back on after.

2012 to 2014 is two years and yet I was told I was signing on for three years since 2011.

Can anyone explain that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

danotroy wrote: »
    If this is not available due to the current economic state of the country would you be willing to enter into a scheme which will make you more employable than the next guy when it comes time to apply for a proper role? all the while receiving full benefits plus some more?

Or would you rather sit at home on the internet and complain about not having a job.

it is never likely to be available (paid job)
    sure what employer in there right mind would pay someone to do a job when they can get the government to pay the person instead??

I would rather get paid for my days work...no mind doing what are in effect mickey mouse pointless course (ive internships for farm labourers,shop assistants FFS)
    there is no justification having people doing internships for what will in effect always be poor to middling paying/min wage jobs!!!

this could be all pointless anyway as ive interview for proper paid job Thursday....not like a pointless jobbridge like SW were trying to get me to do....(how much more exp do they think I need?? trade qualified + 3.5 years)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ah for the sweet love of tap dancing Christ. There is no chance whatsoever you actually believe there is a chance a bookshop has an experienced web designer sitting around and have decided to just do a good turn and take on a jobbridger so he/she can mentor them in web design. A bookshop. No chance whatsoever. That is the most disingenuous post I have ever come across on boards in all my many years on here. It's actually cringe inducing. I feel like I want to crawl behind my living room couch and hide with contact embarrassment for having read it. Breathtaking.

Advertisement