Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Valmont wrote: »
    I find it funny that sometimes the same people who say the minimum wage won't deter employers from hiring low-skilled workers also support the idea of taxing cigarettes and booze to discourage people from taking them up.

What has that got to do with this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    And again the fallacy of composition regarding minimum wage, where removing the minimum wage can instead potentially reduce wages generally, thus reducing aggregate demand, reducing business profits and then reducing employment - which can even reduce employment for the young and unskilled (instead of helping it, as you claim).

That removing the minimum wage will help, is a fallacious argument aired and debunked so many times now, that it's quite obviously more about soapboxing to promote a desired end (removal of minimum wage and associated wage slashes), and completely making up an argument to try and justify it, pretending that it would help labour, when it seems far more likely aimed at harming labour.

Since it's not really convincing people, and there doesn't seem to be much of an effort to hide the disingenuous nature of many arguments (i.e. that you don't seem to believe many of them yourself), seems like an attempt to practice the framing of the particular 'end goals' you support, rather than to actually debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Isn't that EXACTLY what jobbridge was meant to be?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was unemployed for over two years. I'm now 30, I have a degree, I'm in paid employment for 9 months. You clearly have no idea how bad things have been in the country when it comes to jobs, if you think being unemployed for 2 years means you're a write off.
    well done on the job, look I didnt make a total blanket statement, it would depend on where you live, your circumstances etc, but as an employer I would be thinking ok, you mightnt have been able to get a job in your field, but would you not have done something "below you" in the mean time. That comment isnt aimed at you by the way.

I simply dont buy that there are no jobs out there or that its impossible to find them, I know quite a few people who can simply walk from one job to the next and who have never been unemployed and even if the worst came to the worst, I'd say theyd be in a new job within a week, is that chance? Having experience and contacts aswell as being good at what they do obviously comes into play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Idbatterim wrote: »
    well done on the job, look I didnt make a total blanket statement, it would depend on where you live, your circumstances etc, but as an employer I would be thinking ok, you mightnt have been able to get a job in your field, but would you not have done something "below you" in the mean time. That comment isnt aimed at you by the way.

I simply dont buy that there are no jobs out there or that its impossible to find them, I know quite a few people who can simply walk from one job to the next and who have never been unemployed and even if the worst came to the worst, I'd say theyd be in a new job within a week, is that chance? Having experience and contacts aswell as being good at what they do obviously comes into play.
    There are not enough jobs out there - currently there are 28 unemployed people per job vacancy:
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/imglibrary/2014/01/201401211508391.jpg
    http://www.nerinstitute.net/blog/2014/01/21/over-28-unemployed-people-for-each-vacancy-in-the/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

you do realise that between 09 - 10/11 there was literally no jobs

no Tesco,no call centre work no nothing

Thousands of jobs for people with foreign language abilities.
    Nail on the head with this one, this is the sector I am involved in and I have large companies ringing me, seeking help with filling multilingual positions...

• Advertisement

And let me guess ... they're not looking for a cúpla focail as Gaeilge.
    yeah that would be spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

But if they WERE... we'd still come up short!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

yeah that would be spot on!

As you know the Irish education has a woeful approach to foreign language education. Like the British we aren't inclined to learn a foreign language. I assume a lot of these jobs require native/fluent conversation skills as you handle sales and customer service. Some of the Dell customer service workers used to get the same bus as me they were all native French speakers.

From the Guardian today: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/apr/10/students-taking-languages-record-low

Yes spot on the Department of Education's attitude to language learning kick starts a knowledge malaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are you railroading one of your hobby horses into the debate again? The irish language isn't why we have crap uptake for foreign language skills. You'll find most english speaking countries tend not to go in much for taking on foreign languages

If anything, teaching primary kids irish effectively would increase their language learning skills

Spanish & Italian (Language) Administration Clerk job on jobbridge. I'm fairly sure if you had three languages you wouldn't need a jobbridge.

"Workers from outside Ireland and the EU are being hired for jobs on farms, in hotels, restaurants, bars, nursing homes, takeaways, insurance companies, pharmacies and leisure centres."

they dont have the right skills to work in jobs that require feck all skills? :D

The real scandal here is that we have massive unemployment among our citizens while we're still importing labour.Welcome to the globalist future :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bambi wrote: »
    "Workers from outside Ireland and the EU are being hired for jobs on farms, in hotels, restaurants, bars, nursing homes, takeaways, insurance companies, pharmacies and leisure centres."

they dont have the right skills to work in jobs that require feck all skills? :D

The real scandal here is that we have massive unemployment among our citizens while we're still importing labour.Welcome to the globalist future :rolleyes:

Vacancies in the hotel sector but nobody wants the jobs, not even the foreigners.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/with-250000-people-out-of-work-why-are-there-3000-vacant-jobs-in-our-hotels-30067015.html

In years gone by, the shortfall was made up of employees from Eastern Europe but increasing opportunities in other parts of the continent mean that well has run dry.

Vacancies in the hotel sector but nobody wants the jobs, not even the foreigners.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/with-250000-people-out-of-work-why-are-there-3000-vacant-jobs-in-our-hotels-30067015.html

In years gone by, the shortfall was made up of employees from Eastern Europe but increasing opportunities in other parts of the continent mean that well has run dry.

If there was ever an industry that deserved its misfortune, its the hoteliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh dear, did the hotels hit the maximum number of interns? :rolleyes:

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    This is the second link on here ive clicked on this week and comes up with this
    "FAS Jobs Bank encountered an unexpected problem"
    Does this mean it has been removed?

Go to the Jobbridge site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Go to the Jobbridge site.

Just did, i could be looking all day for it !

its the first time i put search "internship",(all areas) my god page after page!

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just did, i could be looking all day for it !

its the first time i put search "internship",(all areas) my god page after page!

You probably noticed that some of them date back for weeks. And that there are 2858 vacancies. The most they can ever fill out of the maximum of 8500 is apparently around 6500. And still I keep reading that everyone on the dole is being forced to apply for Jobbridge. Doesn't add up.

yeah, well thats the problem when for many there is no incentive or not a big enough incentive to get off welfare, or they know no different. Either raise the minimum wage and or cut welfare levels across the board OR cut welfare down to absolute subsistence after a certain period. The period could be extended in certain events, i.e. the economic crash we are starting to emerge from... Use the savings to generate new jobs (at realistic pay, pensions and perks if PS) increase capital expenditure, and increase the work / reward ratio for those already working etc...

Both MAC Tyre Centre and Doran Motors in Drogheda looking for people to clean cars for free.

Still, i suppose experience in using a 'high pressure hose' is something that shouldn't be taken too lightly! :rolleyes:

http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DA7a0qkDLMzUsb2EvHI3UO3QkT5sE2VgkSaV/mR/O+L28TlnwC8M1IwbkzCIXBHE6p4ZpfeoO1K0HJT5wJ6a1kIDDEyylscAfr72NShFqc/gGukhWhMVgYvHKE/WEuPDoZMAmkEI3IL7YmNrSdJVj72JzxLTg3VGBAVrU+5CzMZSRRywKz04B/OByk6p3yNUaB2feazp0ITimKsEwo8m2yTP9qNcmNFNWhPt4GCCKtsczXfe87HoZF8IH+JgbJjKzV52ihVwdATbctuwWvEVV0LpiEa/kZ7+zWPNuFT93kfX+aMVB3FfKQTxXhkm1kfMZ+UVdoMlFkduKg4s4vfReFo4RltOCRuV87QeaOPf+auAjTbHNNSOW0yWI1FV+SiTIApOOG4AWKZLE1kEKq4ju2sFqTA9/6egFctb/CtCSvUD

The intern will gain practical experience in car valeting and general operative duties.

Using high-pressure hoses to clean vehicles; cleaning windows, wheels, door handles and mirrors; vacuuming and shampooing upholstery and carpets; waxing and polishing surfaces; applying gels and other finishes to bumpers and trims; cleaning the frame and wheel arches.

This Internship will provide an individual with an opportunity to put into practice the skills they have learned during prior training or education in a workplace setting. This role will enhance these skills, while providing an understanding of the workplace environment and allow the Intern to benefit from a mentor or supervisors experience and advice.

The Host Organisation will provide practical tasks to enable the individual to apply the particular skills that they wish to learn or enhance and also the opportunity to obtain wider product or service knowledge and establish networks for future employment.

How do you report these nonsense "jobs"?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You probably noticed that some of them date back for weeks. And that there are 2858 vacancies. The most they can ever fill out of the maximum of 8500 is apparently around 6500. And still I keep reading that everyone on the dole is being forced to apply for Jobbridge. Doesn't add up.

Iv never been asked or forced to do anything.
    I think Ive fallen between the cracks,applied for courses/jobs, never hear anything back, i really think when you reach a certain age they just don't bother with you, priority goes to younger people.

Advertisement