Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

Do people honestly believe that the hoteliers are having such issues getting staff? They claim there's over 3,000 roles to be filled but when you search for the jobs there's nowhere close to that number. That article, if you want to call it that is a fluff piece and the agenda seems to be that the hoteliers want the government to train staff for them and then pay wages is they don't have to.

There's a number of B&Bs in Galway city beside Yates which are packed with students paying well over €100 to stay there Sunday to Thursday. On the weekends the rooms are filled by stag and hen parties and the owners are taking in over €5000 per week. Yet the staff who work the night shift from 9pm to 9am are hired through various FAS schemes under the pretence that the role requires training and through jobsbridge. The job involves tidying up after everyone and then hours spent sitting in a room looking at security cameras and answering any calls from those stating there. I'd sooner see places like that fail and the owners go bankrupt than I wound see them abuse the unemployed.

You probably noticed that some of them date back for weeks. And that there are 2858 vacancies. The most they can ever fill out of the maximum of 8500 is apparently around 6500. And still I keep reading that everyone on the dole is being forced to apply for Jobbridge. Doesn't add up.

Plenty of internships which have been filled are still up on the site. Lot of employers don't take them down. There are 12 roles listed under Galway City which I know for a fact are filled. I imagine that it's the same all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    You are implicitly pushing one of your hobby-horses, but instead of it being the language-based one (which, to an extent, I agree with), it's the 'structural unemployment' one: The idea that there is such high unemployment, because people just don't have the right skills.

While there are jobs that can have their needs met by improving certain skills among workers, there are not nearly enough of these jobs to make an appreciable dent in the unemployment figures - again, there are not enough jobs.

Many of these implicit arguments (and some other common ones I've added), tend to rely upon multiple different forms of the 'fallacy of composition':
    Fallacy of Composition|Reality
    "JobBridge reduces unemployment"|JobBridge helps some unemployed workers, compete against the rest of the unemployed, for the same number of jobs (with exceptions for skill-shortage roles - with no stats to quantify JobBridge's contribution here).
    "Removing minimum wage boosts employment"|This can reduce wages/aggregate-demand/business-profits and then reduce employment
    "Slashes wages can boost employment"|For the same reasons as above, can reduce employment.
    "People can get a job, they just need to put more effort in and try harder, to retrain into skilled roles that are in demand"|There are not enough jobs available, not everybody will be employed, no matter how hard they all try or how much effort they collectively put in.
    "Competing on exports (e.g. by slashing wages) can bring recovery"|If all of the world tries to import less and export more all at once (which a great many of our trading partners are, due to the economic crisis), they will all fail, and it will be a race-to-the-bottom in wages/living-standards.
    "Cutting government spending and increasing taxes (austerity) can bring recovery"|Cutting government spending and increasing taxes, reduces aggregate demand, which harms employment and economic activity.
    "A government budget surplus is good"|A budget surplus, without adequate exports to offset the money this removes from the private sector, can drain the private sector of money and cause an over-reliance on credit/debt (which can create an unsustainable debt bubble).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Strawman. Positions not being filled does not equate to a surplus of employment or a lack of interest.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

just a question, if you are getting 60euro a week as you are means tested, does this mean you only get €50 on top of the 60 or do you get the full dole payment of 188 + 50??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

bangkok wrote: »
    just a question, if you are getting 60euro a week as you are means tested, does this mean you only get €50 on top of the 60 or do you get the full dole payment of 188 + 50??

AFAIK its the 60 + 50

AFAIK its the 60 + 50

:eek::eek::eek: 35 hours a week that's slave labour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You would just get €110 a week.

• Advertisement

It indicates that jobs can be filled by people from outside Ireland. What else would it indicate.

Its not impossible. You don't really expect every single irish person to be employed before we hire non nationals do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

but you will people try to tell you its ok its experience :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:
    and you should be glad of chance to get it:pac:

That is effectively what you said and it is not surprising in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Iv never been asked or forced to do anything.
    I think Ive fallen between the cracks,applied for courses/jobs, never hear anything back, i really think when you reach a certain age they just no bother with you, priority goes to younger people.

This is true imo. I'm relatively young (27) and they are getting on to me which I have no problem with, I only fear being forced into something that is a waste of my time/ unsuited to me / invalid.

But someone I know for example has been signing on for I think 2+ years and he has had barely any contact with them and hasn't been brought into the stream like myself.

Because its not either/other. Positions will be filled from both Irish and non-Irish workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

This is true imo. I'm relatively young (27) and they are getting on to me which I have no problem with, I only fear being forced into something that is a waste of my time/ unsuited to me / invalid.

But someone I know for example has been signing on for I think 2+ years and he has had barely any contact with them and hasn't been brought into the stream like myself.

Yes the is the fear of most people on the dole, being force to do a scheme,
    like Tus scheme offering €20 extra,maybe doing council work ,street cleaning,park maintenance, now before anyone starts, I'm not knocking this work, these are jobs, but should remain council full time jobs with a fair weeks pay.
    And as for the hotel work being discussed here, postions not being filled be it non nationals or not,
    i have applied for every type of work including hotel, and never hear anything back, were does this class me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes the is the fear of most people on the dole, being force to do a scheme,
    like Tus scheme offering €20 extra,maybe doing council work ,street cleaning,park maintenance, now before anyone starts, I'm not knocking this work, these are jobs, but should remain council full time jobs with a fair weeks pay.
    Could I ask you what you propose for those that dont want to work? whos only contribution is to hold their hand out? pay them the same rate long term as those that have been made redundant, possibly paid in tens if not hundreds of thousands and be "entitled" to the same welfare rates, state pension etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The solution to a problem with a small minority shouldn't negatively impact the majority imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Welcome to Job Bridge ;)

Tony EH wrote: »
    Welcome to Job Bridge ;)

that's a disgrace.....I mean that works out at 3.14 per hour!!!

Being forced into a position of no relevance to you for 40 hours at week at 50 euro extra week and incurring increased costs when you are already broke is a horror for some people. I am not sure why you keep ridiculing people that are in financial difficulties but it is completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The solution to a problem with a small minority shouldn't negatively impact the majority imo.
    Id be using the money saved on the wasters to create jobs for those that actually want them! Morally its simply a disgrace in my opinion, that you can simply opt of any contribution to society and milk it for all its worth, from the cradle to the grave...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

that's a disgrace.....I mean that works out at 3.14 per hour!!!

It is different for everyone, you can do between 30 and 40 hours a week, and the maximum some will be taking home a week is €238 and the least €150, some could be making €7.95 an hour or €3.75 an hour depending on what end of the spectrum you are on, that does not include people who are being means tested though, for them it could be less a far bit less than €3.75 an hour.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is different for everyone, you can do between 30 and 40 hours a week, and the maximum some will be taking home a week is €238 a week, some could be making €7.95 an hour or €3.75 an hour depending on what end of the spectrum you are on, that does not include people who are being means tested though, for them it could be less than €3.75 an hour.

surely though there is a minimum you should be getting though?? I mean why would anyone want to work 35 hours a week for 110?

• Advertisement

Advertisement