Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

Nuts102 wrote: »
    You obviously don't have much of a clue about it. People are now being forced into these internships. FAS recently started calling people in for interviews and asking what type of work they want. Then they send out your C.V. to these internships and you get warned if you don't attend the interview your payment will be cut.

I know plenty about it. I've been around the block more than a few times, I'm closing on 40 FFS. I'm not going out working for nothing at my age, wtf am I? A slave!

You sound like a pushover, stand up for yourself & don't be takin any sh*te from them clowns in FAS, they are all well paid by the government to push pens all day. You're entitled to your benefits, they can make their idle threats but their not worth diddly squat.

I had my own run in not too long ago, he wasn't long backing off once I got thick. I gave him a few choice words and I haven't heard back from them since. Bunch of pen pushing good for nothing assh*les is all they are. To think that nearly 15 years of my taxes are gone paying these mofos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

EdCastle wrote: »
    I know plenty about it. I've been around the block more than a few times, I'm closing on 40 FFS. I'm not going out working for nothing at my age, wtf am I? A slave!

You sound like a pushover, stand up for yourself & don't be takin any sh*te from them clowns in FAS, they are all well paid by the government to push pens all day. You're entitled to your benefits, they can make their idle threats but their not worth diddly squat.

I had my own run in not too long ago, he wasn't long backing off once I got thick. I gave him a few choice words and I haven't heard back from them since. Bunch of pen pushing good for nothing assh*les is all they are. To think that nearly 15 years of my taxes are gone paying these mofos.

Maybe i am being a pushover i don't know. I just can't afford to get cut in my benefits. I have a meeting with them Thursday i am going to say to them that job does nothing to help me get experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I have an interview with an employer tomorrow about a Jobbridge internship.
    I have just finished college, degree in IT support and have been trying for jobs since I finished. All I am told is "Sorry, not enough qualifications or not enough experience". I am 44 and desperate to get back working but not sure if I am desperate enough to go on Jobbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I have just finished college, degree in IT support and have been trying for jobs since I finished. All I am told is "Sorry, not enough qualifications or not enough experience". I am 44 and desperate to get back working but not sure if I am desperate enough to go on Jobbridge.

I'm 34 - was in a similar position, looking to get into IT - I needed experience to get a job, and a job to get experience, chicken and egg. It seemed to me that the only way I could get experience was through Jobbridge, anybody advertising normal Helpdesk jobs weren't interested in somebody without at least 2 years experience. It is very much an employers market, plenty of people out there with that amount of experience.

I applied for an intern-ship in a place I was satisfied could be of benefit to me educationally, and ended up being kept on there too.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I think you should definitely go for it if the job involves you doing the actual stuff you did in college. Will be a huge help. Just finishing a job bridge myself and i feel a lot more confident in my skills and id say im way more employable. But i was living at home so the money wasnt a problem. I even saved a good bit.

Although some say someone like me should be able to walk into a job with a comp sci degree i just didnt feel confident enough about my skillls even though i got good grades. Coz really nobody cares if you got a first or whatever, just what can you do and what have you done before.

Also to anyone doing comp sci i recommend highly that you either do internships during your degree. Or build sites, programs, whatever in your own time and complete them and have a portfolio and website of all your stuff. You'll probably walk into a job. I wasnt bothered, i just did my college work, that was it. Trying to get a good portfolio now and have a bit of XP so its cool, but i wasted a lot of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

im in a field looking to change jobs,before anyone brags about it ,im on couple days a week job that requires no skills what so ever,and i get payed min wages and no future in the job.
    So seen a job For IT which i could do,requirements knowledge of MS word,and some graphics design software,fair enough,till i read part 40h week and job Bridge Scheme only,now that's taking Pi$$ srly job where someone will have to spend full week sitting at pc working with word isn't hard,but graphics design software needs some skills,such position should no doubt be fully payed position or at least with contract,and yet they are looking for someone to work for extra 50e a week :cool: f joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

People who work 40 hours a week on Job Bridge are crazy, they are losing out on 108 Euro a week that they would get if they were doing another job on the minimum wage, a mate of mine only works 30 hours now after being told they would not be able to keep him on and he told them that it was only fair he do the minimum hours in exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

El Gato, you're posting some real amount of crap. I do agree that the scheme is a complete joke and companies are taking advantage of it, but the people that apply for the jobs are not idiots, numpties and definitely not traitors. They're people who want to work, and have hope that something will come of it. The crap you're blathering is ill thought out and comes off like the ramblings of an idiot who just joined a University political society.

First off, I never labled anyone a numptie, an idiot or a tratior - I AGREED wit another poster who labelled people who subscribed to this SCHEME as such - so get your facts straight.

People who go on this scheme already know that there is a7% chance of 'something coming of it' as these are the REAL statistics of the scheme.

The ramblings of an idiot joined a University political society? Why don't you wake up... I'm in my late 30's have 4 degrees behind me and have worked in numerous European countries as well as Canada, the US and Australia and have never seen such incompetence in dealing with an unemployment problem as I have with this scheme.

I can remember (yes I can) the impact of the recession of the '80's and (weather or not you agree, believe or understand) we are in an economic DEPRESSION and this scheme is a total farce.

And to get to it- Your point is what exactly? That I am putting down a scheme that is working perfectly and all the participants are really happy and have a real chance of gaining real employment as a result of it?

Go and read the full thread, understand the reason for it and the anger of the posters....then come back and make a valid point

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:

Having read a lot of your other posts Joe, it becomes clear, don't bother replying to this post, an uninformed and uneducated opinion does not help this debate,

To the posters who are posting about trying to get a 'start' in IT..... I have found it very hard to get going.... BUT .......... I have done 3 FULLY PAID internships in which I learned A LOT about the area I am in BUT... BUT... BUT I have a degree in commercial computing from 2001 which I have worked until 2006 in and a Level 7 AND a Level 8 in computing and IT from 2013 which allowed me to get my internships.

I REFUSED 3 jobbridge internships within 3 weeks of my last internship finishing and went head to head with DSFA regarding this to which I had 0 sanctions.

IT is an area that a person can actually gain proper internships and with a real possibility of being kept on and if not with the company who offered the internship another company as the internships are PAID and REAL.

Jobbrodge is a FARCE and has been exposed as such

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

Seriously! To all you graduates coming out with degrees sleep walking into internships...WTF?

I just don't get it....you spend 3-4 years investing time and money in a degree that doesn't prepare you for the workforce or make you confident in your skills. WHAT? Isn't that the whole point of degree education, to train someone and prepare them for a workforce. Why are you going out working for nothing and half of you up to your eyeballs in debt? Reality check! A few of you would seriously want to question the degree courses you have just finished.

You do a trade, you train on the job, you finish with your qualification, you are ready to work. Simply as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

They took our jobs!

You did that wrong:

"Dey tuk ur jebs!"

wheres the scandal?
    1.you get out of the house
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day

Add to that the work experience you get on your CV

It has the potential to be a good scheme that helps people to get experience in better jobs but the jobs offered need tighter control to stop abuse of the system.
    But this wont happen as it allows the government to skew unemployment figures favorably.

Better jobs?

If you can't get an entry level job by your own dint, why should the state plonk you into a "better" one?

The scheme was designed and advertised from the start with aiming to provide unemployed people with work experience, which it exactly does.

You do a trade, you train on the job, you finish with your qualification, you are ready to work. Simply as.

There is only so much demand for bricklayers/plumbers/electricians etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I have a question about these internships. If I'am 25 and already in receipt of 188 a week will you still get the extra 50 euros a week?

It's a ****ty situation to be in, but the reality of it is, you may be glad of the internship in years to come.

When the economy bounces back (eventually) do you think the employers are going to hire:
    a: person willing to work 40 hours for extra 50
    or
    b: person who said "i'm better than this" and sat home and did nothing.

Companies like people with a attitude, not b.

They can cherry pick, and for years to come they will remain in that position.

Seriously! To all you graduates coming out with degrees sleep walking into internships...WTF?

I just don't get it....you spend 3-4 years investing time and money in a degree that doesn't prepare you for the workforce or make you confident in your skills. WHAT? Isn't that the whole point of degree education, to train someone and prepare them for a workforce. Why are you going out working for nothing and half of you up to your eyeballs in debt? Reality check! A few of you would seriously want to question the degree courses you have just finished.

Am, a degree will provide a graduate with a foundation in principles of the studied area. A degree does NOT provide a recent graduate with preparation for entering the workforce. I have completed my degrees and currently am not in related debt.

Even doctors who complete medical school will progress to doing internships and residencies because the time spent in college provides mostly theoretical knowledge which needs to be built upon with practical experience (usually gained through internships - PAID internships)

Comparing a trade to, say an IT graduate is like comparing apples and bottled water. When an apprentice is doing a trade the split is more weighted to practical, whereas an IT graduate will have the theoretical principles of programming, design, analysis, documentation, security etc etc but there is little or no emphasis on 'real world' practical. From developing a web application within the college structure is a world apart from being part of a development team developing a real world application.
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
    My point exactly

As I have stated previously and repeatedly in this thread, I believe internships are important for the development and transition of recent grads, but not this scam scheme

tim3000 wrote: »
    I have a question about these internships. If I'am 25 and already in receipt of 188 a week will you still get the extra 50 euros a week?

Far as I know, yes.

Should go up to 232 per week. No idea if thats before/after tax.
    Anyone with more info on that?

I am the same age and get 188+50 Euro on top of it, so you will get 238 Euro a week payed into your account wednesday evening.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    ...... aiming to provide unemployed people with work experience, which it exactly does.

Actually, no, it doesn't (for the majority of the slaves 'interns')

As pointed out numerous times in the thread: shelf stacking, car washing, coffee making, floor cleaning.....the list goes on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internship

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Far as I know, yes.

Should go up to 232 per week. No idea if thats before/after tax.
    Anyone with more info on that?

Ya I would be keen to know to hear further about it. If that is the case then it isn't a bad wage but far from ideal

...it isn't a bad wage but far from ideal

€5.80 per hour? National minimum wage is €8.65 per hour which again proves that this scheme is exploitative

Ya I would be keen to know to hear further about it. If that is the case then it isn't a bad wage but far from ideal

If you are on 188 euro now, you will get that still and a extra 50 euro a week for the duration of the internship, simple as that :)

El Gato wrote: »
    €5.80 per hour? National minimum wage is €8.65 per hour which again proves that this scheme is exploitative

Its obviously exploitative I'am not denying that but I turn 25 in slightly under a month so it is worth my while holding out for until then. Sounds cheap I know but then again so is the whole scheme.

In a 40 hour week, you would be making 108 euro less than a person doing the same hours on the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

More like €1.25 per hour as all you get is €50 extra for 40 or so hours of work. Had my sisters give out to me when I pointed out the problems with jobbridge which they agreed with in their count point. I was not allowed to complain about Joan seen as shes a woman.

Jester252 wrote: »
    More like €1.25 per hour as all you get is €50 extra for 40 or so hours of work. Had my sisters give out to me when I pointed out the problems with jobbridge which they agreed with in their count point. I was not allowed to complain about Joan seen as shes a woman.

From that perspective, yes, it's even more exploitative ... Don't talk to me about Moan Burton - cûnt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

First off, I never labled anyone a numptie, an idiot or a tratior - I AGREED wit another poster who labelled people who subscribed to this SCHEME as such - so get your facts straight.

People who go on this scheme already know that there is a7% chance of 'something coming of it' as these are the REAL statistics of the scheme.

The ramblings of an idiot joined a University political society? Why don't you wake up... I'm in my late 30's have 4 degrees behind me and have worked in numerous European countries as well as Canada, the US and Australia and have never seen such incompetence in dealing with an unemployment problem as I have with this scheme.

I can remember (yes I can) the impact of the recession of the '80's and (weather or not you agree, believe or understand) we are in an economic DEPRESSION and this scheme is a total farce.

And to get to it- Your point is what exactly? That I am putting down a scheme that is working perfectly and all the participants are really happy and have a real chance of gaining real employment as a result of it?

Go and read the full thread, understand the reason for it and the anger of the posters....then come back and make a valid point

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:

Having read a lot of your other posts Joe, it becomes clear, don't bother replying to this post, an uninformed and uneducated opinion does not help this debate,

First off, way to let me know how important and smart you are. Second off, apologies, my brain wandered and I put El Gato instead of Ed Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Is it worth doing an Internship ? Internships have got alot of bad press about expliotation and high precentage not gettin kept on after the 9 months.

I recently completed a fetac IT and wondering if i should go for the internship i have been offered or else persue what im doin in college ??

Im hoping If i took the internship it would give me valubale experience and lead to a paid career
    If you are looking for a proper internship there are some options. Pick a company that you think would give you valuable experience. If they are not hiring, aproach them and ask them would they be interested in taking you on as as intern. Explain that they wouldn't have to pay you and if they are up for it, all they have to do is register with JobBridge, advertise the internship and hire you.

Chosing your own internship is a lot better than having FAS chose one for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

WHAT? Isn't that the whole point of degree education
    Yes
    , to train someone and prepare them for a workforce.
    No

Some degrees include work experience, and maybe more of them should

Advertisement