Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

If you had work experience and references, would you stack shelves? Would you allow them to force you to clean cars because you couldnt get a finacial job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

topcatcbr wrote: »
    If firms don't have to pay labour they can keep their costs down so the likes of you pay less for their services.

Basic stuff really. I'm no finacial wizard tho.

No response.

I think perma is older bitter and selling out the youth to ensure value in his pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

watching tv, cutting your back lawns is also doing something.....

• Advertisement

A bit rich from someone who chooses to not work as you have enough money.

I have a real problem with people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If you have no experience or references its likely you are under 25 and earning the princely sum of 100 euro a week. The added costs of an internship are such that you'd better be damn sure its relevant. Even if you are on the full 188 euro the added costs are too much for many people to take when the experience isn't helpful.

Being exploited (it is exploitation) isn't preferable to say volunteering somewhere relative to your area. You'd be better off financially and experience wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

If you had work experience and references, would you stack shelves? Would you allow them to force you to clean cars because you couldnt get a finacial job?

Well if you dont like the jobs,you shouldnt be entitled to the dole because you feel work is "beneath" you.

Everybody needs to start somewhere..if you don't want to work there's no reason why the taxpayer should be funding you.

• Advertisement

Well you have some neck then coming on here saying people should be taking on these menial jobs when you won't do it yourself.

Pages and pages of you spouting crap.

Yea. That's great. The "experts in FS" have done great work over the last decade.

Your not seanie fitz by any chance are ya

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You'll pay more taxes to keep them employed, and you'll pay the same price for the product as the employer is a business that makes money, and not a charity.
    I don't understand why people think noting is better than something. The dole was soul destroying after 3 months for me, and likewise for most other people I know, who now work. I've worked with people who came from unrelated fields of work, but I've very rarely worked with people who never worked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The number of people who "don't want to work" are in the EXTREME minority.

It's only ****heads without a clue and mired in petty bitterness that think there is a substantial proportion of the unemployed who are avoiding work.
    yes they are, what about the large amount of people it doesnt pay or pay enough to work though i.e. usually those with families? because of welfare rates competing with a working wage...

Yea. That's great. The "experts in FS" have done great work over the last decade.
    You mean make money? Why, yes, they have made lots of money. Blame those who cried out that there was too much regulation, why don't you, as they are to blame for our current situation.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yes they are, what about the large amount of people it doesnt pay or pay enough to work though i.e. usually those with families? ? because of welfare rates competing with a working wage...
    You do realise this is why many people want the walfare rates slashed, yes?

chopper6 wrote: »
    Well if you dont like the jobs,you shouldnt be entitled to the dole because you feel work is "beneath" you.

Everybody needs to start somewhere..if you don't want to work there's no reason why the taxpayer should be funding you.

Im qualified and want to work related to my studies. What's wrong with that? I'd be even happy with a jobbridge in what I qualified in.

Get back into your hole sweetheart.

Menial jobbridge jobs are beneath me and for alot more people. Its pure slavery.

the_syco wrote: »
    You mean make money? Why, yes, they have made lots of money. Blame those who cried out that there was too much regulation, why don't you, as they are to blame for our current situation.

No I mean bringing the country to its knees. I and many are now paying huge tax to fix that mess.

Yes, we've had posts and threads where people have been told their dole would be cut if they didnt take a jobbridge internship. Those same people has stated they would happily take on a relevant internship. People should not be forced into inappropriate internships.

The HSE is busy cutting costs by filling positions with jobbridge interns (170+of them) and council are getting around the hiring embargo by using jobbridge. Jobbridge should not be used as a means of free labour, not that its even free as it costs the taxpayer.

Its not internships that people have an issue with, it is inappropriate or exploitative ones. The scheme should be better regulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 iPringle

What regulation do you think would have stopped the financial crisis? Do you think higher capital charges would do much for a bank whose balance sheet is simply inflated 200%. In fact, it's far more likely that regulation caused the crisis - subsidising developers, manipulating markets, government incentives mixed with an artificially low interest rate environment. That's the effect of government regulation and nothing that has been brought in since will change any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yes they are, what about the large amount of people it doesnt pay or pay enough to work though i.e. usually those with families? because of welfare rates competing with a working wage...

So logic dictates that one waits until the better opportunity arises.

I have no problem with people doing this. Going from a hard situation (living on the dole) to an even harder situation (not a big enough wage AND having to work all week for it) is fucking stupid. That simply makes no sense. People quite rightly weigh up their options and choose the better path. Would would a person take up a job that sees them and their family worse off than they are on the dole?

The point still remains, though, that the are VERY few people just sitting around doing nothing and having a laugh all their lives on social welfare.

Your doing a fair amount of cherry picking also.

I haven't time for your nonsense. Goodbye. I'll continue to pay my tax to fix the mistakes of FS tho.

Nobody has said that they are representative. What i have said, to you directly, is that the scheme should be better regulated and that companies should not be allowed to exploit it, i believe the example i gave to you was Tesco trying to take on 300 interns for the Christmas rush.

People are being told their entitlements will be cut unless they take an internship.
    They have said they would be happy to take on a relevant internship.
    They are being forced into inappropriate internships.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Your not seanie fitz by any chance are ya

Yeh, the financial sector. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Except, as quoted below:
    osarusan wrote: »
    Indeed. 34% responded to the statement 'gave me new skills' by choosing option b - 'a little', in compariosn with option a - 'a lot' (55.3%) and c - 'none at all' (10.7%).

To say that almost 45% of respondents, after in many cases 9 months or training and mentoring, did not feel they had been given a lot of new skills, would, in my opinion, be a more valid interpretation of the data.
    At least 10% are in inappropriate roles in Job Bridge (with some of them potentially being forced into these roles), and potentially up to 45% total are in roles which don't really confer much benefit in boosting skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Only to a point. Working for years, where your best effort work and savings subsidise the pay and conditions of the employed colleagues can be corrosive on mental health in a manner similar to extended unemployment.

I would think that some business owners that struggle, only to take home substantially less pay than their staff for equal work would empathize.

Internships should be allowed where the work is measurably improving skills and prospects, or there is real ongoing training, or enough downtime to take part in training elsewhere.

Otherwise it's a dead end. And plenty of employers talk the poor mouth to all suppliers. The Mike Monteiro video about the hard line that creative professionals need to take is instructive.

Advertisement