Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

chopper6 wrote: »
    Who exactly do you think you are?

No job is beneath anybody when they havnt got one.

You're quite happy to let the state fund you while you wait for a job relative to your "studies" to drop into your lap?

In the meantime you're happy to look down on others who are working because you think the job is "slavery".

There seriously,honestly should be no dole for people like you...no concept of the real world at all.

Did you read my post? I'd be happy doing a jobbridge related to my studies. I mentioned it a few pages back too. You have nothing to say about that, do you.

Yet, im meant to stack shelves on a jobbridge?
    I'd be happy stacking shelves and getting paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You do know that the state funds people on jobsbridge too right?

Yeah a lot of people forget it costs €50 more to send them on jobbridge than just leave them at home looking for work. Same with all the courses, Unless your totally retraining from like construction to I.T. And they still keep all their entitlements. So the only person who is benefiting is the Employer and the governments unemployed figures.
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I think its more begrudging really, if the dole was cut in half, but people working still paid the same taxes, this would be exceptable to the worker as long as the unemployed are seen to suffer more.

The same people who want the dole cut have no idea how much impact it would have to the economy At the present time i would say if they magically cut the dole by 50% it would kill the economy stone dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yeah a lot of people forget it costs €50 more to send them on jobbridge than just leave them at home looking for work. Same with all the courses, Unless your totally retraining from like construction to I.T. And they still keep all their entitlements. So the only person who is benefiting is the Employer and the governments unemployed figures.

The same people who want the dole cut have no idea how much impact it would have to the economy At the present time i would say if they magically cut the dole by 50% it would kill the economy stone dead.
    The government cares not about money, they have an endless supply.

Low unemployment figures however are better than gold because they increase the chances of the government getting re-elected and thus the retention of their own power. Which is the real goal of any government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Oh it's very easy to ban Bitcoin for the average person. A currency that is not accepted as legal tender by any business or bank is only useful for speculation or the black market and even at that for the former it's far to volatile to be worth while.

• Advertisement

Try spending them anywhere apart from some places online. Try paying your household charge with them.

And that there is why they will be eventually band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

I was speaking recently to a welfare officer about trying to set up my own business via the back to enterprise scheme, and during the conversation he also mentioned that companies offering jobbridge internships also receive a percentage of the annual salary such a full time position would be expected to offer based on the length of the period the applicant had been unemployed.

He said it was crazy that I couldn't even get a response from jobbridge applications since the hosting company would stand to make a large chunk of what my annual salary would be in that position from the government as an incentive to offer the internship.

Now that really shocked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

NOBODY CARES ABOUT BITCOIN

• Advertisement

Gongoozler wrote: »
    NOBODY CARES ABOUT BITCOIN
    People who have invested in Bitcoin do. As do it's employees and people developing similar systems. Banks, governments and businesses also care about Bitcoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    People who have invested in Bitcoin do. As do it's employees and people developing similar systems. Banks, governments and businesses also care about Bitcoin.

Great, maybe they might want to discuss it in a Bitcoin thread then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I was speaking recently to a welfare officer about trying to set up my own business via the back to enterprise scheme, and during the conversation he also mentioned that companies offering jobbridge internships also receive a percentage of the annual salary such a full time position would be expected to offer based on the length of the period the applicant had been unemployed.

He said it was crazy that I couldn't even get a response from jobbridge applications since the hosting company would stand to make a large chunk of what my annual salary would be in that position from the government as an incentive to offer the internship.

That sounds more like JobsPlus were the employer is given either 7500 or 10000 Euro over 2 year to employ a person who has been unemployed for over a year or over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,022 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If they give the intern a full time paid job they could get the JobsPlus payment, if the person was long term unemployed previously. This would be a good incentive for an employer who got a good intern to keep them on instead of looking for someone new.

An employer can also get this JobsPlus payment for employing someone who has been long term unemployed, unrelated to Jobbridge. But they cannot get the payment for a Jobbridge intern. Either your SW contact doesn't understand their job or you picked up what they said wrong. And to stave off the outrage which will ensue here, there have been previous versions of JobPlus which incentivised employers to take on the long term unemployed. It is not some new fangled scheme to massage the unemployment figures.

If they give the intern a full time paid job they could get the JobsPlus payment, if the person was long term unemployed previously. This would be a good incentive for an employer who got a good intern to keep them on instead of looking for someone new.

An employer can also get this JobsPlus payment for employing someone who has been long term unemployed, unrelated to Jobbridge. But they cannot get the payment for a Jobbridge intern. Either your SW contact doesn't understand their job or you picked up what they said wrong. And to stave off the outrage which will ensue here, there have been previous versions of JobPlus which incentivised employers to take on the long term unemployed. It is not some new fangled scheme to massage the unemployment figures.

Hmm.. Yeah that's strange alright. I mean we were going through the jobbridge page and I was pointing out to him the ones I had already applied for when he made the comment so i don't know.

It's possible I misheard or misunderstood though I suppose.

My post doesn't really matter in any case if it relates to a separate scheme!

Thanks for the info though chaps. I will check up him him on that anyway.

I think JobsPlus is not available anymore, it was just a 6 month pilot scheme unless it was extended.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Great, maybe they might want to discuss it in a Bitcoin thread then.
    Maybe they do. I was only pointing out your assertion that no one cares about Bitcoin is false. I assumed you weren't backseat modding because that's against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

True and that's a sad state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What's bitcoin

• Advertisement

What's bitcoin

A digital P2P payment system, a form of currency basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

Permabear fuk you, you condescending Pricck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Don't give em any ideas
    The intern will gain practical traing in mining of bitcoins

:D

Xenji wrote: »
    I think JobsPlus is not available anymore, it was just a 6 month pilot scheme unless it was extended.

It is still available. Joan Burton was telling Pat Kenny about it on Newstalk. If I heard correctly, and employer gets between €7,000 and €10,000 into their bank over 2 years if they take someone from the live register.

It is still available. Joan Burton was telling Pat Kenny about it on Newstalk. If I heard correctly, and employer gets between €7,000 and €10,000 into their bank over 2 years if they take someone from the live register.

Maybe I should start putting this in my cover letters! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

For once I can agree with you Permabear ;)

I think it is the WAY other languages are taught rather than throwing all the energy into Irish. For example, it's true that you should learn a language when you're younger, but it's not impossible to learn it later on. For example in Sweden they begin learning English at 10, not too far off our age, and we all know how well they are able to speak English. I met lots of Swedes on my study abroad, only one guy had bad English, but that was sheer laziness.

From doing French in school, it's all about grammar. It's taught in a very old-style, Victorian-almost system. By LC, yes, there is more emphasis on spoken and immersion, but it's too late- you begin in first year on the old 'je suis, tu est' etc.

Whereas I have started learning German on Duolingo, and I am finding it quite easy and enjoyable- the emphasis on speaking, and not on grammar.

The whole Irish primary education needs reform. I don't think we would benefit from scrapping Irish. Personally I like Irish and I think it is an important part of our culture. Also, there is the argument to be made that if it was taught properly, it could benefit kids in learning other languages. It's easier to learn a third language if you are already bilingual. I have noticed even with German- the sentence structure is quite like Irish at times and that's a bit of an advantage in learning it.

If something has to go, let it be religion. Ruairi Quinn made the point about it recently and he was absolutely shot down, which is a huge pity. Between the prayers and the classes and the communion/confirmation preparation I can only imagine how much time is spent (wasted, IMO) on religion in primary schools. Time where kids could be learning Spanish or even something mad like coding.

Sorry for being OT. I agree that there are jobs in the market that can't be filled- I went to the career zoo in Feb and I wandered around thinking 'I can't do any of these jobs!' The answer is education- even if the govt launched a scheme for learning languages or partnered up with an organisation like Duolingo. But that would require imagination, something that the civil service in Ireland is sorely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea it's mad that teaching a language diverted so far from the way EVERYONE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME learned their first naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

If you're young and unattached there is no excuse to not be working. Pack your satchel and head to England or Canada or New Zealand. Or take a language course for a few months and go somewhere in Europe. The dole is high enough in Ireland for one to be able to squirrel away a bit for a move.

Or just carry on crying about how it's everyone else's fault.

Advertisement