Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4month & sleep?

Options
  • 05-07-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

How long does/did your 4 month old sleep? I've read various sites and most state that a baby if that age should sleep about 15 hours in a 24 hour day. My lil man sleeps about 9 hours at night and between 2-3 hours in the day. I know he needs more sleep in the daytime but he fights against it so to get 3 hours is hard work. Most days it's only 2. Is this way too little sleep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

There's a huge sleep regression at 4 months so parents who's babies were sleeping great up to then (us!!) fund everythung is turned on it's head.

I used to bring my son out for walks at nap times at that stage as he's fight the sleep too and would never sleep for me at home. The motion of the buggy knocked him out eventually though. However he'd other nap for 45 mins or so and he'd have 2-3 of these a day so probably 2 hours in total.

Looking back I wouldn't worry about naps too much until after 6 months. My fella only started napping with any regularity from about 8 months and once that starts you're tied to the house twice a day everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Sorry for typos.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

At 4 months my little one used to sleep 10 hours at night (great!) but would only take 2 or 3 30 minute naps during the day. It was tough as she was tired a lot during the day, but I couldn't force her to sleep if she didn't want to (not even walks helped).
    At 6 months she started settling into 2 proper naps a day.
    As How Strange said naps don't seem to become 'routine' until 6-8 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks a million for the reassurance. I was getting very concerned after the 10th person felt the need to tell me that 'that child doesn't get half enough sleep'. He only slept 2 hours yest but managed 11 hours last night....yippee! If t
    his little wind problems pass I think he might actually manage to sleep through the night soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Some people are great for telling you what the child needs, don't mind them. You are the mother, you know more about your child than anyone else.
    At 4 months I had a major sleep regression with my (now) toddler. Broken nights sleep and very little napping. You'll weather it, as will he. It's tough going, but I believe once you've reached 4 months with a baby you'll survive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Definite 4month sleep regression here like How Strange said.

It settled after a month/few weeks, then went out of whack for a few weeks when I went back to work when he was 6 months. Each time it's anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks to settle (I didn't do anything other than try have a bedtime routine & try track what he was needing)

Then a 9 month sleep regression... you get the picture :D

Advertisement