Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macbook Pro power brick heat.

• 05-07-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just got a 13'' mbp retina on Monday and I've noticed that when the laptop is plugged in and charging the power brick gets extremely hot, like nearly too hot to handle for any prolonged period of time. Is this normal?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It depends on the load. If it's charging from low and you are using it while it's doing so, then it's going to get pretty hot, yes. Especially if you are doing something CPU intensive. Although with the Retinas just having the screen on would probably be enough.

Keep an eye on it. But unless you think there's a danger of it catching fire, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Cheers. Yeah it's only seriously hot when its charging from low and I'm using it, when it's around 80% charged it cools down a bit and is grand when the mac is asleep while charging. Just wanted to double check.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

I have the 15inch retina and don't find this at all. Mine only gets slightly warm when it's doing something with flash or running a few programs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Strange. I was thinking also, I bought the Mac in The States and have it plugged into an adapter here as it's got an American plug on it. Would that have anything to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

They do get very hot when charging, and then drop back to being just a bit warm when charging is complete.

Nothing to worry about, just make sure that it's not positioned in a bad place when it's running hot (eg: if you use the Mac in bed, don't leave the PSU in folds of the bedclothes, etc).

The US plug has no bearing on things, but you might want to chop it off and replace it with a local plug, for convenience (unless you'll be visiting the US a lot).

• Advertisement
Advertisement