Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help this beginner??

• 05-07-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

New to weights and all, used to play football few years ago and gave up due to family/work constraints. Anyway..

Looking to build some proper muscle/strength. Im 5'11 and 90kg. Little bit of a belly which I would like to lose, while building up arms, shoulders etc.

Now the bad part. Too broke to join gym, not an option at the moment. I do however have this from Argos (don't laugh)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9237245/Trail/searchtext%3EEXERCISE+BENCH.htm

So, following the crap leaflet that came with the bench I have started doing the following;

Start with stretching and 15 minutes on excercise bike.
    Bench Press: 2 reps 15 x 15kg
    Leg Extension: 2 reps 15 x 7.5kg
    Standing Curl: 2 reps 15 x 15kg
    Leg Curl: 2 reps 15 x 7.5 kg
    Squat: 2 reps 15 x 15 kg
    Upright Row: 2 reps 15 x 15 kg
    Sit Ups: 2 reps x 35
    Press Ups: 2 reps x 15

Doing this 3 times a week and eating better, trying to get good carbs and proteins.

What advice can anyone give? Starting 4 days a week from Monday I think.

Please help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭alsace royal

to build size and mass bud youd want to be trying 5/6 sets of between 6 to 8 reps at which point your hitting fail if your hitting 10 to 12 reps per set put on more weights. youd be surprized what even 2.5kg a side will do,

have you tought of devideing up your days into muscle groups also? upper/lower/back. i do this as i feel the target area will be trained to a good level as your not tired from all you have just done.

does any gym in your area do a daily rate? i have quite a bit of equitment myself but a local gym is a 5er a day and i use what machines i cant afford or fit, its great to train with other people for motivation and pic up advice and pointers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭beardo81

to build size and mass bud youd want to be trying 5/6 sets of between 6 to 8 reps at which point your hitting fail if your hitting 10 to 12 reps per set put on more weights. youd be surprized what even 2.5kg a side will do,

have you tought of devideing up your days into muscle groups also? upper/lower/back. i do this as i feel the target area will be trained to a good level as your not tired from all you have just done.

does any gym in your area do a daily rate? i have quite a bit of equitment myself but a local gym is a 5er a day and i use what machines i cant afford or fit, its great to train with other people for motivation and pic up advice and pointers

Thanks for the advice, will increase weights and follow that rep guideline. Going 4 days a week now from Monday too.

Any particular advice for targeting muscle areas? Good sites with guidelines?

Gym is out of the question at the moment unfortunately, going to have to make do with what I have for now. Bloody pain but no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Loads of stuff you can do for free, stuff you can make for free too.

Theres a website that shows you how to make stuff at home for little or nothing. The name will come back to me later no doubt.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82290269

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85133210&postcount=8

Right; ross training .com. Its in the other thread too!

Thanks for the links mate, good stuff there. Any good pre/post workout foods, drinks or even supplements?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭alsace royal

beardo81 wrote: »
    Thanks for the links mate, good stuff there. Any good pre/post workout foods, drinks or even supplements?

i do always take a can of monster half hour before training and some good food info here http://www.gymjunkies.com/muscle-building-foods/

supplements are good in my opinion but if money tight can be off putting i'm using muscle pharm, combat powder .http://www.discountsupplements.ie/muscle-pharm-combat-powder-1.8kg-model-muscle-pharm?gclid=CLDHpqWsp7gCFYmK4Qod7hMAiQ atm i find it excellent out of all the blends iv tryed, along with the basics like creatine and l-glutamine

you can also get casilan 90, a slow release protein from most chemisits its a slow release protein before bed is a great time to take it or mixed in trough soups stews ect to boost the protein hit you get, its also cheep i pay 7/8 euro for it on the downside it tastes like wallpaper paste lol.

beardo81 wrote: »

Don't use those pre-workout yokes meself. Bottle of lucozade the odd time in the gym.

If your about to up your protein intake, maybe just add an extra chicken breast to the whatever you're already eating for now. €5 for 5 in me local butchers.

Think I do need something pre-workout, get my energy levels up, sometimes a bit zapped after work and kids but still want to workout. Might try a Monster or Lucozade, see what works best for me.

Might mix in a bit of Shaun T's Insanity on my weight days off, have it on iPad so might make use of the cardio or resistance workouts on there also.

Advertisement