Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant identification

• 05-07-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

An unknown plant was put in a spot in the garden in early November 2012 and it "died" during winter. A few weeks ago, a small leaf showed up in the same place and I wasn't too sure if it was a plant or weed so I left it alone for a few weeks ...

What plant/weed is it in these photos (4/5 leaf with green/pink/reddish stalks)?

2013-07-05 20.36.23 (800x600).jpg
    2013-07-05 20.36.33 (800x600).jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It looks like a hardy geranium of some sort, possibly geranium macrorrhizum, I can see flower buds and should be in flower very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

It looks like a hardy geranium of some sort, possibly geranium macrorrhizum, I can see flower buds and should be in flower very soon.

Yep. Geranium. Kerp an eye on it as some of these can spread .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Thanks for the identification - I have 1-2 similar looking plants elsewhere in the backyard - they're a bit compact and have already started flowering. Wasn't too sure if it was a weed or not due to the rapid growth and seeing similar plant/weed growing wild in the backyard before the make over.

Would it harm it if I cut it back a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

it kinda needs its leaves so cutting them away isnt a good idea. You could always use a few canes and string to keep the leaves up out of the way.
    The leaves look a little like clorosis unless it is veregated and may need a bit of a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

Anyone know what this is... Sprung up in my lawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its coltsfoot, mowing will probably discourage it, though it is fairly vigorous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Moggaman wrote: »
    Anyone know what this is... Sprung up in my lawn

I'm not sure what the plant is, but there is a load of it growing at my granddad's house. It has completely taken over one flower bed, and has spread itself to a few other parts of the garden.
    It dies away in winter, and comes back in spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Alchemilla mollis http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=89

Nice plant but does spread a lot in the right conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Also called Spurge - I rather like it, but it does take over if you let it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

looksee wrote: »
    Also called Spurge - I rather like it, but it does take over if you let it.

Is euphorbia not called spurge? ??
    Maybe u mean ladies mantle ;-);-)
    They sound alike!!!;-);-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement