Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Rebuilding

Options
  • 06-07-2013 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Bought an igo-l a few weeks back on impulse and finally got around to building up what is probably a very bad coil - and liking it a lot :)

Just wondering if anyone could give me guidance on wick and wire??

I'm using it on an ego twist for the foreseeable future (have a multi-meter for resistance/shorts) - so guessing I should get the 0.15mm/AWG34 to keep ohms reasonably high?
    Looking at the tiny bit of wick provided - I'm guessing 3mm is right??

Where is good to buy from? Normally get everything from ESI - but they seem perpetually out of wick.... TBS have it - and Vaperus have much cheaper wick and wire --- are they all equal??

In future, I might look at rebuilding heads for ViviNova/Protank/T2's...anything else I'd need? Looking at the VN/T2 - they have lots of 1mm wicks - could a single strand of 3mm be used instead?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Not all wicks are created equal, but I haven't tried the silica from either of those places as I prefer mesh or cotton. Vaperus' price is probably just them being competitive. If it was awful we'd've seen a mention of it by now I suppose.

0.20 Kanthal would be better. Easier to work with, more surface coverage, blahblahblah.

Most here seem to prefer thinner wick (2mm?) doubled over, wicks better or something. Digby or Green Hornet'll chime in on that maybe.

You could use 3mm in a Vivi, but you might need to file the sides where the wick goes in or the wick could be constricted, juice won't get served to the coil and you'll get yummy dry hits.

If you can get over the fact that you can't let the wick run dry (you quickly get a feel/taste for it) I'd recommend cotton cheesecloth over silica any day.

Advertisement