Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Basque Association

Options
  • 06-07-2013 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

would anyone be interested in setting up a Waterford/Basque group/club?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

nice_very wrote: »
    would anyone be interested in setting up a Waterford/Basque group/club?

Basque as in the clothing or country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

would be nice to establish links with the basque country

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Dont the Sinn Feiners do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

JShannow wrote: »
    Why?

:confused:

Why not?

S28382 wrote: »
    Dont the Sinn Feiners do that?

Well there is that whole international kindred thing between the IRA and ETA, oops, I meant to say between Sinn Féin and Herri Batasuna... much as they foster "cultural links" with the Palestinians for example.

However there's a hell of a lot more to the Basque country than a terrorist organisation! It sounds like a fascinating place. Their language is completely unlike Spanish, French or Catalan - some believe it's the only language still remaining in Europe that traces its origins back to those spoken before the Romans, Celts, Slavs and Goths became so dominant.

I remember working with a Basque girl and seeing her reading a novel in Basque at lunchtime. I asked her for a look, and she got a great giggle out of me trying even to figure out one or two words. I speak Spanish, so I can generally get the gist out of text in Portuguese or Catalan, but I might as well have been looking at Swahili for all I understood of it!

Good luck with it anyway!

(And you do mean the Basque country as opposed to the sexy clothing, right?) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Yeah i get the connection with the Sinn Feiners i was once connected with the Sinn Feiners and there was always the feeling of solidarity between the two as well as the Palestines. We(The Irish) love anyone that is putting up with a struggle we always feel we have something in common. :)

Advertisement