Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 UK blow apart the PAYG market with 321 offer: coming to Ireland?

Options
  • 06-07-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭

3 UK have blown the UK PAYG market wide open with an offering of just 3p/minute calls, 2p texts, and 1p/MB data. No doubt it is just as much a reaction to the voip operators as the other network operators. Can you imagine if they adopted something similar here like 5c/minute calls and 2c texts and data? It would blow Vodafone/o2/Meteor out of the water.

If you have a SIM free phone and go up North or across the water even only a few times a year it really is worth your while picking up a 3 UK SIM card.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/07/threes-just-dropped-a-price-bomb-on-the-uks-payg-market/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I prefer the deal they have here at the moment.

jenno86 wrote: »
    I prefer the deal they have here at the moment.

Likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

For data that's still £10 for 1GB. Not great.

Their €20 offer here is much better if you use a lot of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

48 still wins hands down. €10 all calls and all texts won't ever be topped, even the current deals (The Don, Guido etc) are better than what you're suggesting.
    Also, add-ons for 48 are €3 for 50 minutes, which is 6c a minute.

3 will have to do better to top 48.

Do they own 48 now? It was a part of Telefonica but I'm not sure if it was part of the o2 deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And the bargain is hiding where?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

vicwatson wrote: »
    You can't ask, that's cheating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

vicwatson wrote: »

For light users its great for us popping up North or over to the UK a few times a year. For PAYG users generally in the UK or if 3 were to do something similar here its really good for light users and users who have landlines and fixed broadband already for most of their needs.

kn wrote: »
    For light users its great for us popping up North or over to the UK a few times a year. For PAYG users generally in the UK or if 3 were to do something similar here its really good for light users and users who have landlines and fixed broadband already for most of their needs.

If your on 3 Ireland it doesn't cost anything different to use your phone in the UK. I still get my texts, calls and data for no extra charge. 3 Like Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

jenno86 wrote: »
    If your on 3 Ireland it doesn't cost anything different to use your phone in the UK. I still get my texts, calls and data for no extra charge. 3 Like Home.

Not anymore 👎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

THFC wrote: »
    48 still wins hands down. €10 all calls and all texts won't ever be topped, even the current deals (The Don, Guido etc) are better than what you're suggesting.

Whippersnapper!

km79 wrote: »
    Not anymore 👎

Really? since when?

Not anymore 👎

According to their website you still can.

Edit: Actually looks like you're right, new customers have to pay for an add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

But with 48, the €10 a month is a 'subscription' fee, and don't get the tenner credit to use. At least with Three, you've the €20 to use, which is handy when your free texts and data expires at the end of the month.

According to their website you still can.

Edit: Actually looks like you're right, new customers have to pay for an add on.
    Yeah my contract ended in may. List tethering which was very useful and 3 like home which was deadly as I go to England a few times a year. Ill prob add it on for 2.99 each time I go now :(

Yeah my contract ended in may. List tethering which was very useful and 3 like home which was deadly as I go to England a few times a year. Ill prob add it on for 2.99 each time I go now :(

Luckily I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

It's a decent package if you don't use the net to watch netflix etc, for anyone who gos online just to Facebook etc its better than the 20 euro all you can eat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

We currently have much better phone deals than the UK. Was looking into it quite a bit as was considering a move there a few months back. Surprising really, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Dman001 wrote: »
    But with 48, the €10 a month is a 'subscription' fee, and don't get the tenner credit to use. At least with Three, you've the €20 to use, which is handy when your free texts and data expires at the end of the month.
    Boo hoo??? It's €10 a month for free calls and free texts. It won't be topped.

I used to be with 3 for about 4 years. That €20 credit always seemed to disappear relatively quickly, most of the time within 30 days, and once the freebies run out you may as well top up straight away.

The only problem people seem to have with 48 is the fact it's done online and there's no face to face.

Even just compare the numbers over the course of the year. Let's just say with 3 you only top up every 6 weeks you still spend €160 (and that's being very generous). Realistically, you're going to be hitting €200-€220.
    With 48 it's €120 for year round free texts and calls to everyone.

I used to be with 3 for about 4 years. That €20 credit always seemed to disappear relatively quickly, most of the time within 30 days, and once the freebies run out you may as well top up straight away.

The only problem people seem to have with 48 is the fact it's done online and there's no face to face.

Even just compare the numbers over the course of the year. Let's just say with 3 you only top up every 6 weeks you still spend €160 (and that's being very generous). Realistically, you're going to be hitting €200-€220.
    Do ya really have to be between 18 and 22 or is that just an advertising gimic ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Zardoz

daRobot wrote: »
    We currently have much better phone deals than the UK. Was looking into it quite a bit as was considering a move there a few months back. Surprising really, but there you go.
    No we dont,the UK deals are far superior .
    Its only in the last few years that Irish mobile rates have become anywhere reasonable but we are still well behind.
    In January 2009 it was revealed that Ireland was nearly the most profitable market in the world for multinational mobile operators like Vodafone
    Vodafone and O2 who still have most of the market here are still a rip off compared with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I tried 48 it was terrible. I still follow them on facebook from when I was using that to get support for the terrible service and nearly weekly I see a message to the effect of "Sorry your calls and texts aren't working at the momo our little support monkies are totally working to try fix it lol we are so hip and cool."

Zardoz wrote: »
    No we dont,the UK deals are far superior .
    Its only in the last few years that Irish mobile rates have become anywhere reasonable but we are still well behind.

I would agree with daRobot. I lived in the UK last year and found our deals far superior. Albeit I was on PAYG, don't have a clue about bill pay.

That's fair enough, but if you have a smartphone and want to use it to its potential then 3's deal is far superior in terms of data. For €20 you get AYCE data, free texts to all networks, free 3 to 3 calls, free calls to any network on the weekend, and the €20 left over which can be used either for weekday calls or, now thanks to carrier billing, to buy music, books or apps if you have an Android phone. As someone who has never touched that €20 each month, I have hundreds to spends on books, apps etc.

It all comes down to what you need from your credit or phone, there is no "best deal" out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Is anyone else here still getting the extra €10 free when they top up with 3?

For the €20 a month I'm getting
    - AYCE Data
    - Free any network texts
    - Free 3 to 3 calls
    - Free any network weekend calls
    - AND €10 extra credit at the end of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Zardoz

That's fair enough, but if you have a smartphone and want to use it to its potential then 3's deal is far superior in terms of data. For €20 you get AYCE data, free texts to all networks, free 3 to 3 calls, free calls to any network on the weekend, and the €20 left over which can be used either for weekday calls or, now thanks to carrier billing, to buy music, books or apps if you have an Android phone. As someone who has never touched that €20 each month, I have hundreds to spends on books, apps etc.
    ROI Calls (per min.) 35c on that deal.
    You wouldnt be long going through 20 euro of credit ,thats only 60 minutes of calls to non 3 numbers for 20 days a months,i.e three minutes a day.

Zardoz wrote: »
    ROI Calls (per min.) 35c on that deal.
    You wouldnt be long going through 20 euro of credit ,thats only 60 minutes of calls to non 3 numbers for 20 days a months,i.e three minutes a day.

Yep. Like I said, depends on you needs. Most of my calls are via Skype/Viber, and everyone I know is on 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

ciano1 wrote: »
    Is anyone else here still getting the extra €10 free when they top up with 3?

For the €20 a month I'm getting
    - AYCE Data
    - Free any network texts
    - Free 3 to 3 calls
    - Free any network weekend calls
    - AND €10 extra credit at the end of every month.

Yep, on that myself, it's pretty unbeatable atm tbh, I get at least 2 months, sometimes more, out of a €20 top up. When the month is up, I just buy a 500mb internet addon out of my loads of credit for €5 and then swap to cabbage for sending texts to folks who don't have viber/whatsapp etc. so even after my freebies are gone my credit only gets used for calls. Most of my mates are on 3 as well so I use very little credit on calls and most calls I make are on the weekend anyway so it's a moot point. The free UK roaming is an absolute god send also as I'm over there several times a year.

The 48 offers are decent alright but their closest to 3 is their €20 deal but it only includes 3gb of data (which tbf would be plenty for most) but you then have to top up €20 every month as you don't get credit, it's more like bill pay. If you're on an old feature phone and are not arsed with smartphones than the 48 deal would be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How do 48 verify your age? Would the age thing be easy to get around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ok my head hurts from all this 48 v 3 monthly offers, going back to the original topic, I go up north and to the uk afew times a yr, I don't need any monthly subscriptions, I'll probably only spend 10/20quid with this 321 offer a yr, if i got a sim, and threw 10stg on it, would the number stay active if i only switched it on every few months, and does the credit run out? I'd be planning on just leaving the sim under the back cover of the phone until I needed it.

Advertisement