Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small red insects

• 06-07-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi

This is more out of curiosity than anything else, just noticed a large number of very small bright red insects milling around on the concrete out side the back door. The sun is blasting the path area and they wouldn't be any more than 1 mm in size (so don't ask me to post a picture).
    Any ideas what these lads are and should I be iradicating them or just let them get on with it.

Dubflier

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is this the first time you have ever seen these they are very common as kids we used to callthem blood suckers and squish then regularly just because of the red goo dont know what they are really called though

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dubflier

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is this the first time you have ever seen these they are very common as kids we used to callthem blood suckers and squish then regularly just because of the red goo dont know what they are really called though

Hi
    No I have seen them before at the front of the house, usually on very sunny days when its quite dry and warm, they are always on the concrete.
    Dubflier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

They're Clover Mites

While the link may suggest otherwise, they are not usually an issue worth dealing with.

They're not insects, which only have 6 legs. These little things have 8 legs.....not that they're big enough to easily tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dubflier

Mothman wrote: »
    They're Clover Mites

While the link may suggest otherwise, they are not usually an issue worth dealing with.

They're not insects, which only have 6 legs. These little things have 8 legs.....not that they're big enough to easily tell :)

Thanks you seem to be spot on,

FREE TO GOOD HOME CLOVER MITES AS MANY AS YOU LIKE

I don't like the idea that they can make their way inside as I already had an episode with ants on the kitchen work top a couple of months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

shamrock55 wrote: »
    blood suckers

Its a long time since I've heard them called by that name:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We used to call them gods cows .... No idea why, but we used to squish them as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

We called um blood spiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

scarepanda wrote: »
    We used to call them gods cows .... No idea why, but we used to squish them as well

Same here, gods cows is what I know them as

Advertisement