Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Monsoon like shower in galway few minutes ago lucky these showers are fast moving though small bit of hail mixed in too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Absolutely mental shower of rain and hail here, day turned to night almost! The funneling effect of the wind between the houses is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

One of the heaviest rain showers I can ever recall occurred here in West Limerick in the last hour.

Reviewing the Met Eireann rainfall radar clearly shows the band of rain, and I would have expected to see echos closer to the purple on the scale rather than the yellow. However, it was reasonably short lived, <10 minutes and perhaps the wind made it seem more intense than it actually was. Anyhow, a memorable shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

These squalls are pretty vicious. Some very strong wind gusts associated.

An isolated tornado can't be ruled out in next few hours.
    ...Ireland...

In the first 6 hours of the period, convection and conditions of strong low-level winds and shear 15-20 m/s are present. The jetstream passes over the southern half of Ireland. Expect some convective gusts greater than 25 m/s. An isolated tornado cannot be ruled out as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

Think that same squall just passed through my location, the rain was coming down horizontally and the wind gusts were really severe. Again, the echoes on met.ie didn't reflect the severity of the downpour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ibiza and Majorca are getting hammered atm

Big flashes in this cam

http://www.auditoriumpalma.com/web_cam_paseo_maritimo_harbour_palma/?lan=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A nice little squall line developing in northern counties ... some decent gusts here in N Dublin blowing bins over already so id say that be somewhat interesting for those in its way :)

278145.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Just passed through here, only lasted about 5 mins.
    Nothing major but looks heavier further north though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helloyeshi

A rumble of thunder here in Bettystown I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Had some lightning here just after 6.00am again not too much thunder.

NWClare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Some big storms in the UK now. 2 storms have knocked out floodlights in soccer games around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

Almost sure saw some lightning when walking the dogs

weisses wrote: »
    Almost sure saw some lightning when walking the dogs

Looks like you probably did, http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?, did the dogs not sense it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

Looks like you probably did, http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?, did the dogs not sense it?

neh they are immune ... Led lenser :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I think I just heard thunder in Dublin 22. My light flickered and there was a sort of boom from outside. Can anyone confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Quite a bit of thunder in Tralee last nite, various times between 1.30-2.30 am

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a bit of a thunderstorm on the north Mayo coast atm. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Squally rain/hail shower passing through here. Some strong gusts too! Wheelie bins are doing well to stay up!

279225.bmp

Looks like it's growing as it passes over Galway on the last loop of sat24.com

Plenty more out at sea, should be an interesting day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Quite a vicious shower just now in Galway city lots of hail and severe gusts too it has passed now you can just hear all the alarms going off it was quite violent

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Quite a vicious shower just now in Galway city lots of hail and severe gusts too it has passed now you can just hear all the alarms going off it was quite violent

Sounds awesome ! :D
    279232.png

Can see the anvil from this shower north of navan from my attic room , nice to see but not photogenic , hoping for the stuff to the west to makes its way here intact :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunder in Castlebar now. showers very squally with hail but passing over very quickly in the strong wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Very excited about what's out to my west. Very active looking cell.

where abouts are u?

HAIL CORE!!
    279241.png

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

where abouts are u?

In North Kildare. About to be hit in next half hour, maybe less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

At approximately 1430hrs at Clara, Co. Offaly we had a ten minute thunder and hail storm that was like nothing i ever witnessed in my lifetime (44yrs).

The thunder and lightening knocked out the power supply and the hail was massive never ever saw if so big and the noise of the hail on the house was scary.

I called pals in neighboring towns and they didn't get it. Just had to share this as to me it was a very memorable weather event.

All clear and bright now ;)

Shannon Sigmet number 4. embedded thunderstorms. tops of 34,000ft. currently in the path of Ryanair traffic on the way to Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

A friend of mine drives a truck and he just posted a pic on Facebook of what looks like snow in Tullamore.

You where under the hail core , all being discussed here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87391750&postcount=3062 .

Hope you got photos of the hail!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can see the cloud now associated with that shower to the north of me, heding towards north Dublin...yet another miss here! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement