Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Great Mamma views here, recent strikes north of Edenderry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Near edenderry...

1459780_629693847053401_1868184602_n.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BX 19 wrote: »
    Near edenderry...

Nice one! :) Time reference and all...very good. Next time can we please have a copy of todays newspaper in the shot too!!! :D

Decent Hail!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That shower looks to be loosing intensity now.

Looking at http://www.sat24.com/en/gb there looks to be another shower developing with good height to it now on the north Tipp/south Offaly border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

About the same size hail we got in Galway awhile ago my pug was eating it he also eats snow when we get it haha:D

Edit- another heavy hail shower my pug will think its christmas eating all them hailstones nom nom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

My wife and toddler got caught in that shower around lunch time. They were just crossing the road from tesco to smyths. They got ABSOLUteLy soaked through. My wife is usually a very placid person but she said she roared at the sky after as it stopped as soon as she reached the car. It did not help her mood when I told her I had been outside for 3 hours in mayo around the same time and not a drop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Pic of hail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Based on the Offaly/ Westmeath border. Was in Dublin today but the trusty vantage vue recorded a rain rate of 116mm per hr at around 2.20. Total rain recorded is 13.5mm , so no records there. Phone line knocked out, apparently a spectacular thunderstorm indeed. Missed it. Damn ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Was in Cork today and absolutely gutted I missed the storm at home, a few km SE of Enfield, Meath. The first I heard was when I got a call from my alarm company saying that several sensors on the house alarm had been activated. So I rang the next door neighbour who said the worst hail she had ever seen was falling together with overhead lightning. She said everywhere was white and there looked to be a good half inch of hail on all surfaces. I should have asked her to take a photo! The hail hitting the windows had set the alarm off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Jaysus, that's impressive sized hail. I love hearing about these localised events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Some heavy looking showers to the north of Dublin at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just got one flash of lightening with a bang of thunder near Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

highdef wrote: »
    Was in Cork today and absolutely gutted I missed the storm at home, a few km SE of Enfield, Meath. The first I heard was when I got a call from my alarm company saying that several sensors on the house alarm had been activated. So I rang the next door neighbour who said the worst hail she had ever seen was falling together with overhead lightning. She said everywhere was white and there looked to be a good half inch of hail on all surfaces. I should have asked her to take a photo! The hail hitting the windows had set the alarm off.

Probably the same shower I got caught im at home... Apparently Kilcock got it worse than we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just got one flash of lightening with a bang of thunder near Limerick City.

Saw that strike as well. To the east/southeast of the city, maybe 4-5km away. Quite a heavy mixed hail/rain shower from that cloud a few min previous but nowhere near as large as the hail core event above.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

There is a heavy covering of hail on roads in northwest Donegal, with slippery patches and a temperature of 2°C.

Didn’t see any reference to snow for the area on the RTE Weather Forecasts tis morning.

solas111 wrote: »
    Didn’t see any reference to snow for the area on the RTE Weather Forecasts tis morning.

:confused: :rolleyes:

As you said yourself, it was hail...hail is not snow...Met Eireann did forecast hail showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Massive hail shower here 5 mins ago some stones were about 1 cm in diameter and A few nice rumbles as well

Didn't see that one coming ...

That nice red dot on the radar at 12:15 explains it

Nice view of some mammatus .. looking at the back of that little cel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yeah, here too. Heavy hail shower, that's more like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

:eek:

284692.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    :eek:

284692.gif

Is that incoming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nope, old news. Don't forget to Click "i dag".

Nope, old news. Don't forget to Click "i dag".

I thought it would have caused a bit more excitement alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Eek, massive thunder and hail here on the Mayo coast now. Had another one in the early morning. Electricity is gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    Is that incoming ?

Sorry, I should have stated, it is the accumulated strikes over the near Atlantic since midnight, which by all accounts in a pretty incredible amount.

Notwithstanding, a few strikes showing up on NW coast now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

seriously loud thunder west of castlebar!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That front moving across us will probably produce some sparks. I'm hope so anyway. Maybe some thundersnow next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Thunder and lightning moving overhead now. Quite a few flashes and rumbles. We also had thunder and lightning at 2.45am. Lasted for about half hour and quite a few flashes and rumbles.

NW Clare

RoisinD wrote: »
    Thunder and lightning moving overhead now. Quite a few flashes and rumbles. We also had thunder and lightning at 2.45am. Lasted for about half hour and quite a few flashes and rumbles.

NW Clare

Recent strikes near Lisdoonvarna and Black Head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Watch out for a potential squall line feature this afternoon folks as the second front makes away across the country. Like wednesday deep layer shear is maxed out and low level shear too quite strong in Munster and leinster . Funnels are possible also.

In work at 12 , wont be able to be on much :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement