Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Showers are really severe here with torrential rain and v gusty wind

and very dark. but sadly no lightening.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Hi, just wondering, I heard the country is due som heavy thunder, lightening and torrential rain today and this evening, anybody know if this is true? Would be great to know to get a camera ready, I love thunder and lightening. Located is Dublin, Clonee/Blanch border, thanks in advance billie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    and very dark. but sadly no lightening.:(

Not yet..

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,426 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

you'd want to have some camera to get a picture of thunder and lightning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Akrasia wrote: »
    you'd want to have some camera to get a picture of thunder and lightning :)

1 click and it can take up to ten pics per 3 second, its nothing spectacular but if I can click at the right time I might catch something, dont mind trying for at least a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

A couple of very loud bangs of thunder here in Wexford town

And some pretty impressive forks as well

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Sky gone very dark and wind picking up very quickly.
    I'm in Swords....

Didn't think it'd get this dark so early.... Storm coming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A couple of very loud bangs of thunder here in Wexford town

And some pretty impressive forks as well

PICS OR............... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Heavier showers moving in now from the west possibly thundery i suppose......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I think I just heard a rumble of thunder in Clondalkin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Thought i heard some thunder there myself as well, could be the cell coming over the wicklow mountains at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Trogdor wrote: »
    Thought i heard some thunder there myself as well, could be the cell coming over the wicklow mountains at the moment

That cell passed directly over rathcoole. Four intense bright flashes with thunder not even a second after two of them. Most intense I have ever witnessed in ireland the way it woke me. Very heavy hail and strong wind for 15mins. All calm now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Friend of mine in Baltinglass had her car struck by lightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Super-Rush wrote: »

Yikes! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Lucky she was in her car! That cell brought memories of Florida thunder and lightning back to me. Would not fancy being caught out and about in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Feck...was she driving or what?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Frequent distant rumbles of thunder for the past half an hour, nothing close by or remotely impressive though seems to be getting closer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Plenty of action in England so far today, few nice cells.
    sf_na_1d.gif?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Look at the lightning today over The Netherlands..:eek:

image_b_uk.png?t=23146134

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Still going strong as its heads over Germany, if only we had that here.

images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=loop-bliksem&c=&n=&tijdid=2014131955

• Advertisement

Most likely tornado damage from those thunderstorms in netherlands...

1525046_1452179508338479_81519799_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Last night in west Wicklow at approx 2.30am I experienced a new one! Distant thunder moving towards my house creating a Doppler effect. As it roared past my house fading into the distance. The trees outside were blowing fiercely and there was windy mayhem for only 10 mins or so...it felt like a tornado, due to its precise nature. Does that sound familiar to you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Have a read of this thread from here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056862218&page=20

It was really calm here in Carlow that night and i was up watching tv and like the flick of a switch the wind picked up. I logged on here and saw a pretty intense squall line was making its way across the country from west to east.

When it reached here the wind was like nothing i have ever heard before, it was just one constant roar. Then the rain that was crashing against the window was deafening and the thunder shook the house on three occasions. When i say shook the house i mean it literally shook the house. I'm not ashamed to admit it but i was terrified for a few minutes and I was convinced the windows were going to explode at one point. It only lasted ten minutes tops but i am convinced there was some sort of circulation out there.

I had my camera set up in the bedroom window to catch some action but only managed one flash as the battery died and i was to afraid to go to the window to change it. I have it somewhere and will upload it later. I will never forget that few minutes last January.

Well conditions are perfect for strong thunderstorms for tonight and tomorrow so ive heard.....:)We shall see...

We're back !

And interesting day of squally showers and radar watching...

but the question is...

WHO SAW THE SUPERCELL!?! :D

287444.png

Lovely shape to it ! , only to not hear of any funnels from east of Carrick... :(

Very beefy showers out west with a fair bit of thunderstorm activity headed straight for us all we have to do now is wait.....:)

http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true&co=false&ra=false&li=true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

fairly intense lightning here again in South East Kerry tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Lightening in Castlebar now. I was wondering what woke me. It's pretty far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Was lightening in Ennis around half 5 which woke me and a huge down pour. Seems to be no wind tho????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

ESB powercheck showing very few faults yet however there are lots of lightning strikes showing off the south coast.
    Early stages yet as can be seen on http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-8.07,50.04,512

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement