Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

More lightning here in south east Kerry and crazy hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Spotted a few flashes of lightning to the west of Ballincollig this morning as I was on the Ballincollig bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Loudest thunder I've heard in a long time-castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Thunder woke me out of my sleep about two hours ago in Ennis, still very windy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sitting here in the office in Kilkenny it's almost pitch dark and starting to rain.
    Has there been any thunder activity yet in the south east/east?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,926 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Roll of thunder just now in tuam!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

In the last couple of hours we have had three thunder storms in my area. Latest just passed through there in the last 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

In the last couple of hours we have had three thunder storms in my area. Latest just passed through there in the last 5 minutes.

Strikes from the past 60 minutes.

vLR8hUz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Well my house alarm sent me plenty of text messages this morning to let me know this morning there was plenty of sparks locally... (near Riverstick)

287510.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ecm shows a scandi high again from this weekend. Gfs has it over France/Germany which is no good. The ecm seems to do this a lot on its later frames. If the ecm was to come off, it builds very cold air for us in the east part of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A fair few sfereic since midnight in parts. Another storm seems to be brewing over mid-west at the mo.

287524.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just to wet the appetite, a video of "gun-shot" lightning strike in Queensland.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/lightning-strikes-during-queensland-storm-140455004.html

Ads on yahoo videos are pretty damn annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Are we due any sparks today? I notice both Dublin & Baldonnel are reporting CB's in their last Metars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some nice hail and even some thunderstorms likely in the NW tomorrow.

290529.png

290530.png

Enjoy anyone up in that area! ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Some nice hail and even some thunderstorms likely in the NW tomorrow.

290529.png

290530.png

Enjoy anyone up in that area! ...

Båstards get all the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

billie1b wrote: »
    Båstards get all the fun!
    :pac:...My sentiments exactly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a few sparks heading for the NW now. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met eireann has gust of 76knots in mace at 9, is this right

Wasnt forecast

78 on Dec 18 when storms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pauldry wrote: »
    Met eireann has gust of 76knots in mace at 9, is this right

Wasnt forecast

78 on Dec 18 when storms

Recorded a few gusts about 30 mins ago that almost matched those we got during the last few 'storms' (Galway county) Sounded almost tornadic for a couple of minutes.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Wind gusts picking up in Dubin CC ..ahead of this front line crossing the country..

290566.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like this squall is giving gust from 50-60knots as it crosses the country

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met eireann have issued an Orange weather warning valid until Monday 0900 for strong winds and high seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I was driving when that Squall Line hit (had only just gotten off the cliff walk in Bray). It was pretty brutal.

On Netweather now its lighting up the UK and is the most impressive Squall Line I've seen in the UK/Ireland.

3Ev7E4G.png

RTcwuS8.png

Shame it wasn't quite this organised over Ireland earlier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Unbelievable weather here in north Bedfordshire. It was calm, then there was a flash of lightning and within 20-30 seconds there were swirling gusts, hail and rain. It happened so quickly and was so strong I thought there might be a tornado or something! Never seen such a sudden change in weather, especially in January! It's like a midsummer storm out there. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hoping it can hold together until it reaches me in London, looks to be weakening now though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Harps wrote: »
    Hoping it can hold together until it reaches me in London, looks to be weakening now though

How did you fair out after.
    My brother in Tooting said they had very little thunder but said the rain in the squall was as heavy as he's seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

I was sitting outside the cathedral in Mullingar when that hit this morning. It was like those pictures of hurricanes from Florida, and a severe gusting wind.

I belive there were some trees down around Mullingar at the same time. As spectacular a squall as I've seen for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just after having a water spout dust devil type thing go across lough ree in that squall that passed over Athlone. Couldn't get a video cause i was trying to keep dry but it was cool to watch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

lolie wrote: »
    How did you fair out after.
    My brother in Tooting said they had very little thunder but said the rain in the squall was as heavy as he's seen.

Had visitors show up 5 minute before it hit so couldn't really get a proper look at it, two flashes of lightening and low rumbles was all we got though the rain and wind seemed very intense, the road was littered with twigs and branches afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thunder, lightning and heavy hail in Galway city atm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement