Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Lumi wrote: »
    Thunder, lightning and heavy hail in Galway city atm

Dammit! I want some

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

is it just me or is galway the hot spot for thunder and lightening this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    is it just me or is galway the hot spot for thunder and lightening this year?

Certainly had a lot of thunder storms here lately, it was thunder snow in the last shower, garden was white with hail and sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Just back from aldi in douhiska Galway mental! About 30 minutes of snow thunder hail and lighting great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Did someone say "Thunder Snow" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i love his enthusiasm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Indeed! A few cars nearly came a cropper it got so bad surprise thunder snow is the best will be watching out for updates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Level 1 for west today

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2014012706_201401260545_1_stormforecast.xml
    Storm Forecast
    Valid: Sun 26 Jan 2014 06:00 to Mon 27 Jan 2014 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Sun 26 Jan 2014 05:45
    Forecaster: VAN DER VELDE

A level 1 was issued for Ireland mainly for severe convective wind gusts.

SYNOPSIS

A deep low lies off the west coast of Scotland. Cool slightly unstable airmass will contain thundery showers around the British Isles while the tight pressure gradients cause 10-11 Bft storm conditions before the northwest coast of Ireland, mainly toward early Monday.

DISCUSSION

...Ireland...

The level 1 reflects the contribution of deep convection to the wind gust threat, which is minor. The overall threat imposed by the background gale conditions is much higher.

Jezj just had unreal thunder and lightning in Galway with snow unreal loud im deaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Jezj just had unreal thunder and lightning in Galway with snow unreal loud im deaf

That first peal of thunder was seriously loud! :D and It's still pelting wet snow/sleet with an occasional rumble and flicker of lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Thunder and lightening at the same time at what sounded like right outside my window in rahoon Galway! Ow my ears :(

That big flash of lightning and thunder was directly over the City, I never saw such a bright flash of lightning it lit up the whole City and the thunder was instantly after the flash, the thunder seemed to go on for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I hate Galway... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Big flash and decent thunder peal just now, that's the second thunder I've heard in the past 5 minutes. That lightning was overhead in Castleconnell or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Are we ever going to get anything in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Brief power cut here in North Tipp just before 9.00 pm and heard thunder just as the electricity was restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Loud thunder, west of Castlebar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

its a very quick gif
    Movie_of_Lightning_in_EurAfrica_BIG.gif

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

There was a single flash of lightning near limerick city at about 5:40 this morning. Much disappoint.

Thunder and lightning in Castlebar about 1230 this lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This month alone:
    Thunder and lightning in Castlebar about 1230 this lunchtime.
    thunderstorm passing through Castlebar now)
    Some of the loudest thunder I heard in ages happened this morning with 2 or 3 different thunderstorms passing over between 0630 and 9am.
    Lightning in Castlebar now.
    Thunder/lightning just east of Castlebar now.

Back in 2nd half of Decembler
    Nasty thunderstorm in Castlebar now!
    Loud thunder in Castlebar now with hail!
    Alot of thunder/lightning in the Castlebar area around 7am this morning.
    wrote:
    Thunder/lightning castlebar now....
    seriously loud thunder west of castlebar!

The thing is, the last time I was in Castlebar, got caught in a thunderstorm as well.

I'm moving there.

New Moon

LOL that's good. few good pubs about town to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Is the Irish House still open OB?

Used to love going there.

It is surely, still going. does well with students.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Is the Irish House still open OB?

Used to love going there.
    its a dump

I stick to Johnny mchales as I have done for years. now better get back on topic lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Is this not a weather related thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A pub crawl in Castlebar sounds good.

tumblr_mu3zgsJipl1skpaa0o1_500.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We took a hit here Sun night. Was a mad 20 mins. I saw the storm & timed 2 flashes to be <400m so rapidly unplugged everything (crest of a hill). Then stood outside to watch and it hit the turbine opposite me (600m) then a flash straight overhead. I ran around the house to car safety and another directly overhead - this one I thought hit the pole in the yard (on the other side of the house now but where I was standing a moment ago).
    Eventually calmed down & went to bed. Woke the next morning & half the house has no power. Electricians coming over tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

forgot to add at one point we got an inch of snow (not hail) in about 4 mins, was a crazy nights weather. It also melted in about 4 mins. I could hear the snow falling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement