Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Lightning detected near Cork City.

Thunder near Mallow but saw no lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

just had half an hour of T&L over very muggy Galway city, my young baba loved it, clapping and screaming with delight after every flash :)) (that's my boy!)
    and there's some amount of activity over Europe at the moment... http://www.sat24.com/en/eu (check the lightning box in the settings in the bottom right)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

We never get anything down in the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Super-Rush wrote: »
    We never get anything down in the South East.

Down in youghal, just heavy rain :-(:-(

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Down in youghal, just heavy rain :-(:-(

Bit of light drizzle in Carlow.

Bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Starting to rain here now, wind has picked up a bit too. Still a bit of sun to my left when I look out the living room window but that's disappearing quickly - really dark clouds.

Just started lashing and had first bit of thunder and lightning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

lovely blue skies after that band. Hardly any rain again from it, which is strange as the radar has it over us.

From Twatter.
    RTÉ News ‏@rtenews 8m
    Heavy rain in Galway city has led to flooding in parts of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thunder here on the Mayo coast now, but no rain since lunchtime. Even then it wasn't that heavy. Brightened up for a while but cloudy again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Turning very black here in Castlebar from the S/SW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I was in the car when the storm hit here, pulled over to watch but very hard to hear the rumbles with the torrential rain and the heater on full blast. Plenty of flashes, an intense squally downpour and one really loud rumble that lasted about 10 seconds.

A fairly standard thunderstorm but we get them so rarely that its a real treat, wish we could get that every week instead of a full day of light rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

15.2 mm of rain fell in Galway City according to NUIG Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Lightning detected near Cork City.

Some big black clouds rolling in at the moment but no lightning yet. There's a big beefy shower turning up on the radar just south of the city, here's hoping we'll have some flashes before the day is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Quick shower in Castlebar that cleared quickly with no rumbles:(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Far Q Boss

Here's a few photo's from Salthill taken roughly 3:20pm today. I'm pissed off coz I was recording the rain on my phone and I hit STOP about 10 seconds before an unreal savage bang! It was so loud it felt like a bomb went off beside my car, it shook the crap out of the car, it actually felt like I was hit from behind by another car!

I hope I attach these photos properly, sorry if they come out huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

That cell that passed over the Northwest pretty much died before it got to Derry. Torrential rain only, no lighting or thunder seen/header.

Hoping the one over Galway at the minute comes this week, probably just go west of Derry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Photo of Galway city on buy los page on face book on phone now so can't upload

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

More heavy rain coming for youghal, can barely make our Capel island

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Far Q Boss

Doing the rounds on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Well that that shower that was in galway is here now.heavy rain but no thunder.sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    15.2 mm of rain fell in Galway City according to NUIG Galway

Plus 4.8mm after 4pm, giving 20mm in total for that cell.... won't need to water the garden this evening! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Strange, the storm passed ages ago but we've no power in Ballinrobe mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A look ahead to Wednesday.

This is from the 12Z GFS.

Showing very intense precipitation reaching the southwest early in the morning :

ukprec.png

Which would slowly expand northeastwards while still remaining heaviest in the southwest (3 hours later )

ukprec.png

And could well be thundery too:

ukcapeli.png

In the afternoon/early evening then heavy thundery showers shown all along the western coastal counties, some cells would get further inland :

ukprec.png
    ukcapeli.png

Then later that evening/night more organised, heavier precipitation in the west/northwest and pushing up from the south more heavy rain which could end up over or just off the east coast overnight.

ukprec.png

(12Z NAE for 3am Thursday)

13072503_2312.gif

Thats just how things look now, things can change and will vary from model to model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice Mammatus over Galway city now, took some pictures with the phone, will put them up later when I get home if they are any way decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Still not entirely convinced with the charts for me here in Dublin anyways .

What will it take to get my first proper lightning shot from Home?! Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Torrential rain here at Cork airport

• Registered Users Posts: 31,925 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How do some of you enjoy that? I did a driving lesson in that thunder and lightning in Tuam. Scared the bejaysus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Still no sign of rain in Dublin, that must be 3 weeks of no rain now. Looking at met eireann website, due to be sunny and warm for next couple if days too. Thought the warm weather was meant to be gone by now and rain was meant to fall already

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Uncle Martin predicting more thundery showers tomorrow along west!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Sunny here now, we didn't even get any rain after the last few bangs of thunder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement