Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Lashing rain in Cork for the past 5 minutes. Cork Airport seems to be down on the Met.ie website, hit by lightning perhaps? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

few heavy showers here today in between the very warm sunny spells, surprised I havent heard any thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

:D Thunder over Dundalk right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Got caught in it myself today rain coming in from right here

BP3CaI8CMAAjsfm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think there is a risk tomorrow of a severe thunderstorm in the west in the morning/afternoon.

Even though CAPE values aren't shown to be higher than today, there are some other things to consider :

Storm Relative Helicity : 250 to 300 m²/s²
    Shear 0-1 km : 30 to 35 kts
    Shear 0-6 km : ~30 kts

(http://www.lightningwizard.com/maps/)

Vertical velocity :

13072406_2312.gif

It's all based off the 12Z GFS. Maybe other models don't show quite the same output, we'll see what Estofex says about tomorrow later. It may not happen at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Sum dark clouds passing over to my north here in youghal :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential rain in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential rain in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Still no sign of rain in Dublin, that must be 3 weeks of no rain now. Looking at met eireann website, due to be sunny and warm for next couple if days too. Thought the warm weather was meant to be gone by now and rain was meant to fall already
    The forecast on the radio just before six oclock said showers tomorrow in Munster, Connacht and later in south Leinster and dry on Thurs and Fri. I think Dublin will see little or nothing so back to work tonight filling the watering cans! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Another heavy one heading for Galway City - according to www.raintoday.co.uk radar, think I might head outside for a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Finally had first bit of rain in over 3 weeks (for my part of Meath) around 6pm, barely wet the ground although it looks like more is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Raining in south Dublin now no sign of T & L

jaffusmax wrote: »
    :D Thunder over Dundalk right now :D

That was a fantastic little cell, 10 minutes of as heavy rain as I've ever seen, halfway through it was falling at a 45 degree angle, brilliant.

Tomorrow. The auld warning signs have been dusted off for the west :

uYIqsUy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

That was a fantastic little cell, 10 minutes of as heavy rain as I've ever seen, halfway through it was falling at a 45 degree angle, brilliant.

Had to talk my daughter from out under the table, it was awesome seeing her reaction :p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

lads i took a couple of pictures of a weird looking cloud outside my house but i dont know how to put them on here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Absolute downpour in Dublin at the moment.

diceyd wrote: »
    lads i took a couple of pictures of a weird looking cloud outside my house but i dont know how to put them on here

Upload it to imgur.com and paste the link of the uploaded image here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I think there is a risk tomorrow of a severe thunderstorm in the west in the morning/afternoon.

Even though CAPE values aren't shown to be higher than today, there are some other things to consider :

Storm Relative Helicity : 250 to 300 m²/s²
    Shear 0-1 km : 30 to 35 kts
    Shear 0-6 km : ~30 kts

(http://www.lightningwizard.com/maps/)

Vertical velocity :

13072406_2312.gif

It's all based off the 12Z GFS. Maybe other models don't show quite the same output, we'll see what Estofex says about tomorrow later. It may not happen at all.

I agree Maq! , low level shear is real strong for that time period , and deep convergence levels are the highest in the chart area!

263845.png

I suspect estofex to give out a level 2 for intense ppn and isolated tornado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The rain is coming down very very hard in swords now, it's intensity seems to be increasing with each burst.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I agree Maq! , low level shear is real strong for that time period , and deep convergence levels are the highest in the chart area!

I suspect estofex to give out a level 2 for intense ppn and isolated tornado.

I was looking at Limerick on that custom Skew-T thing on Netweather for tomorrow.

K : 36
    TT : 53

The only thing lacking is the CAPE, but high hundreds may be enough with eveything else looking good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

A few rumbles of thunder just now in North East Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Supercell over a Montana prairie, US. About hour ago. Tweeted by Ian Fergusson

That's what I call a storm!

BP4JEomCQAAMQxs.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Supercell over a Montana prairie, US. About hour ago. Tweeted by Ian Fergusson

That's what I call a storm!

BP4JEomCQAAMQxs.jpg:large

Shenanigans...

Totofan99 wrote: »
    A few rumbles of thunder just now in North East Galway.

Just over my house i think :D

263857.JPG

Hey Galway, You've had enough fun for one day.
    Sincerely,
    -Kilkenny.
    :D

You can never have enough storm fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Hey Galway, You've had enough fun for one day.
    Sincerely,
    -Kilkenny.
    :D

U can put cork at the end of that letter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dublin 16 here and no rain at all, despite a deluge in the north of Dublin that caused at least one flight to have a go-around.

http://i.imgur.com/yGyi1V4.jpg (Linked for huge)

kdaHHSv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Appalling quality but was lucky enough to catch one small strike earlier today :)

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Dublin 16 here and no rain at all, despite a deluge in the north of Dublin that caused at least one flight to have a go-around.
    not here, I got one millimeter, it kept the dust down for a few minutes and made a nice smell but that was about all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement